Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-10, 07:58 AM   #1
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default BPS Carbonlite Reel

The monkey is whispering in my ear again wanting another reel....saw the carbonlite is on sale and I have a $20 off coupon sooooooo

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this reel? Thanks for the feedback
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 08:06 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Looks like a sweet reel to me, from reading the reviews on the BPS web site! But with 40 bucks off! That's a SWEET deal for any reel! I'd get it while you still can!
Old 06-08-10, 09:14 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Looked at them yesterday although they're only available in RH. The reel feels pretty good in hand, it's smooth, and those EVA knobs are great. However, the carbon fiber handle looked nothing like carbon fiber. looked like black painted plastic... Another thing is that ugly gold color, lol. BPS seems to like ugly gold reels, they've got a few of em.

BB
Old 06-08-10, 05:46 PM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would love to own one myself, but they only offer them in RH...I've played around with it a little, and I think it's a very nice reel!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 10:05 PM   #5
nova385

I got one in the spring, and got to say I seen to grab it more than othe reels that were 2x the price. I will buy another one soon. The grips are the best
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 09:06 PM   #6
Mofish
BassFishin.Com Member

I picked up one in March and put it on a CarbonLite 7' MH rod to use worming and Jigging and must say it is the best combo that I have used to date! The setup is so light and sensitive I can feel a fish look at it...lol I would definately recommend it!
Mofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 01:15 PM   #7
dave0943

I almost bought one the other day. I ended up buying the BPS Pro Qualifier casting reel in7.1. I also bought a Lightning shock rod with it. I've read great reviews on the PQ and for 79.99 had to buy it. The day after I ordered it went back to 99.99. Can't wait to put some Fire Line on the combo. Next time I get the itch, I may get a Carbon Lite. Problem is, I always have the itch!
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 10:50 PM   #8
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I picked up a Carbonlite reel yesterday, and now they do have lefties. I got it to put on a 6'3" Loomis Bronzeback jerkbait rod that I got a deal on recently. The rod is too light for Pointer 100s which I throw most of but I wanted something for lighter baits like the Pointer 78 and Jackall Squirrel. Also this will work well for floating Rogues. I never really tried to match colors before but the reel looks great on that copper colored rod.

I got to try it out tonight and it throws those light jerkbaits like no other. It launches them a lot farther than my old faithful Chronarch Mg50. The only fish I got on it was a 13" crappie, but I'll keep trying it and give a better report later as to how it holds up.

Edit: I did put 20# braid on it with a 6# fluoro leader to try to make up a little for the rod being so light in action. The line feels a little heavy for this and I'll probably try 10 or 15# if I have some sitting around. Also the colors in the photo look like crap due to poor lighting and my cell phone camera.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 01:26 PM   #9
dave0943

Nice looking rig, even with the low light. I use 15Lb stealth spider braid when I want to throw real lite baits. Stealth seems more limber than braids like Power Pro. It does discolor and wear faster than power pro. I use both lines quite a bit, but for lite stuff it's stealth. I think 10 lb braid might be to small dia. How small of baits do you think that rig will toss?
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 02:06 PM   #10
Bender

I don't know. The Squirrel I was throwing is 3/10 oz. so very light. I'll try some other light baits this afternoon like a Smithwick Mr. Walleye Rogue. They are only 3 1/2" long and weigh 1/4 oz. I'm not sure if I'll ever need to throw anything lighter than that.
Old 10-15-10, 11:15 PM   #11
Bender

I tried those little walleye Rogues tonight. For the Pointer 78DD I had the mag brakes at 2 and 2 centrifugal brakes on. That didn't work so well with this thing. I ended up cranking the mag brakes up to 6 or so and had to add a little spool tension. It did O.K., not great. But that is better than any other reel I have tried with those including a Calcutta 50 and the Chronarch Mg50. It goes to show that a few things are better left to spinning. I will admit that those are the worst thing I have to try to test the limits. They don't fly very well and are extremely light for their size. I'm still very pleased with the reel.
Old 10-24-10, 01:26 PM   #12
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You can increase the performance of the carbonlite quite a bit by flushing the spool bearings and useing a performance oil such as rocket fuel brand. You can also polish the spool shaft ends and the running bumbs that the pinion gear rides on. Doing those things will make the carbonlite cast even smaller and lighter baits.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.