Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-09, 01:22 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default advise/ suggestions on Rod

well im thinking about getting a bait casting reel and im going to have to get a new rod to accompany it. (ive always used spinning gear so this is new to me)

now, what should i be looking for as far as sensitivity goes? what kind of rating? as far as length, ill probably stick with 7' , as those are what my spinning rods are, but for the life of me cant remember what kind of sensitivity rating those had.im sure theres probably something better i can use for those set-ups as well .Rod wise

primarily fishing for bass
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 01:25 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bigjim,

What kind of fishing are you going to be doing? (type of lake, type of lure, etc.)
Old 07-09-09, 01:53 PM   #3
bigjim

as far as bait, primarily plastics ( worms, lizards ect) & spinnerbaits ,some crankbaits

i primarily use 10lb test line , im sure thats going to be a factor as well.
i mostly fish from shore, most of the lakes i fish at are man made, so they might be only 15' at the deepest point, some are deeper of course but not by much. lots of cover in most spots.
i guess im looking for something that can accommodate most of my needs bait wise
dont want to get a certain rod and it only be favorable towards spinnerbaits over my other baits..
would a medium action rod be more suited for what i need over a fast or super fast action rod?
Old 07-09-09, 02:04 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

bigjim, what price range are you looking at for a rod?

BB
Old 07-09-09, 02:16 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Bigjim,

If you're looking for an all-around baitcasting set-up, I would go with a 7' medium power rod with fast action. I don't know if there's really a downside to fast action over medium, except for maybe power baits like deep cranks or very big fish.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 07-09-09 at 02:17 PM. Reason: re-thunk it
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 02:49 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ok, since he logged off, I'll just cover a couple price ranged.

$50-90
I personally would spend more than this (which is why I only buy like one combo a year). But if you're looking for rods in this range, I'd check out:
-the Shimano Voltaeus for kind of an Ugly Stick feel, but still better. But if you're looking for a better graphite rod, try the Shimano Clarus Series.
-Fenwick has some great rods in this price range too.
-Also, on the high end of this spectrum is the Falcon Original series.

$100-175.
This is probably where you'll find the best selection of rods since almot every brand has a rod in this price range.
-Shimano Compre (on the lower end) or Crucial (on the higher end) are both great, quality rods, both backed by lifetime warranties.
-Flacon's new Bucoo rods look great, although I've not used them. Also, check out Falcon's Low Rider series.
-Kistler had the Carbon Steel rods for about 100 and the Magnesium rods in the higher end of this price range.
-St. Croix Mojo bass rods are also new on the scene and very competitively priced.
-Daiwa's Mike Iaconelli signature rods

$200-300 (and up)
This is where you're getting into real quality rods.
-Shimano Cumara rods are the top of the line for shimano.
-Daiwa Zillion, Cielo, and of course, the very expensive and high end Steez.
-Falcon's Cara and Expert series rods
-Kistler's Argon, Helium LTA, and LTA II rods
-At this price range, you also getting into G.Loomis. All Loomis rods are high quality, but the IMX and GLX are the top of the line.
-St. Croix also features some high end rods in this price range.
-The new Phenix Ultra MBX rods are supposed to be very good.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now, I don't know exactly what you mean by sensitivity rating, but I'm assuming you mean the modulus rating. The only rods I know of that actually rate their rods by modulus count are BPS rods. This isn't necesarily a gauge of how sensitive the rods are, but generally, a higher modulus rod is more sensitive. But also, higher modulus rods are also more fragile.

For all around fishing, I'd go with 6'6" -7' M-MH.

For plastics, I'd use a 6'6" or 7' MH, Fast action rod.

For cranks, I'd use a 7' (or more) M, moderate action rod.

For spinnerbaits, I like a shorter rod, 6'6" or maybe a couple inches shorter. Anywhere from M to MH depending on how big of spinnerbaits I'd throwing. Moderate Fast to Fast action.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 05:34 PM   #7
bigjim

thanks bigbassin & nofear, thats pretty much the info i was lookin for. im lookin to spend about $100 on a rod,

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.