Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-10-12, 05:04 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Getting ready for spring -

Today I started a job I really don't enjoy - NO, I haven't UN-RETIRED.

Today I started cleaning and lubing my reels, the annual winter chore. So I finished 7 of my baitcasters this afternoon and I think there are 8 more left to go. Then the spinning reels, but they aren't so bad. Couple more days and I think I'll be done.

Be getting the rods out soon, matching up the reels and spooling them up. Yep, spring is comming and I got to get ready.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 07:58 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahaha, i was SOOO mad cause we got a COLD ARSE FRONT moving in as i type. snow flurries of all things in the morning. all my set ups are ready and loaded in the RAJUN CAJUN. now it jsut needs to warm up and STAY warm. lol!
Old 02-10-12, 09:24 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I haven't even started tearing mine down yet... However, my 4 sets of Boca Orange Seals are somewhere in Texas getting the dirt ultra-sonicated out of them.

I'll probably only clean the 4 reels those bearings are going in.

BB
Old 02-10-12, 11:14 PM   #4
keithdog

I'm going to start that annual maintenence tomorrow. I really don't look foreward to it either. It's like painting. I don't like it but once I get started it's not too bad. Getting started is the hardest part.
Old 02-19-12, 01:28 AM   #5
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thats what Ive been doing. Cleaning my rods and reels and cleaning out my tackle boxes and that crap. Also going thru all my crap and gathering up all the stuff I never use and Im giving it to a friend.

I CANNOT FREAKIN' WAIT for spring time. I only really got into bass fishing really hard last yr and this yr is gonna be the first that I actually have technique specific rod setups ect.

Diversifying the way I fish. I only really ever fish texas rigged worms and senkos wacky rigged. Im working on learning how to fish JIGS! Specifically swim jigs, crankbaits, lipless baits, spinnerbaits, more frog action.

Im gonna be getting a kayak hopefully to, so NO MORE SHORE FISHING! Im so excited and I live in the most perfect place for kayak fishing. Gonna be hitting HUGE smallies in the bay all summer to!

Words cannot describe how excited i am!!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 09:58 AM   #6
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
I CANNOT FREAKIN' WAIT for spring time.

Words cannot describe how excited i am
Hey basshunter I've got good news for you! That excitement and anticipation you're feeling is going to get stronger and deeper as the years go by. Not only that but the experiences and pleasures that fishing brings to your life will have a profound effect on the way you live your life. Odds are that you will be more relaxed and have a better perspective than your non-fishing peers. Spending years on the water will give you a stronger character than many men you meet that are much older than you. You will be far more likely to feel connected to a higher power than the unfortunate souls who live most of their lives in trivial indoor pursuits. Chances are that you will become a conservationist by default and will be far more interested in political issues that could effect your passion than the people that say "why should I care?"

After 40+ years of doing this I still get an endorphin rush that I can't explain..whether I'm sharpening some hooks or watching a fat 8 pounder trying to break my rod!......Now matter how long you live or how many fish you catch, you will never be able to say ...."well, now I'm satisfied or now I know everything etc"

ps..on a serious note Please wear SUNSCREEN...it probably don't seem like a big deal to a young buck like you now but...trust me on this...SPF40+ and reapply often.
Old 02-19-12, 11:06 AM   #7
lilmule

Yup it dont have to be expensive stuff.aloe vera not only takes the sting out afterwards but if applied prior windburn and sunburn just doesnt happen.costs about two bucks at dollar general.Feels wet and cool particular early morning and chilly yet dries in about 1 min,kinda the green slime treatment,you wont even have windburn from running 80+(also own an allison 2002) and should you forget takes the sting out afterwards.
The most important eq to take care of yourself,as parts not easily replaceable and rebuilds costly.
To me I get the most rush out of a commode flush on a frog also carry nitrostat,but seldom have to use.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-19-12 at 11:13 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 12:44 PM   #8
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey basshunter I've got good news for you! That excitement and anticipation you're feeling is going to get stronger and deeper as the years go by. Not only that but the experiences and pleasures that fishing brings to your life will have a profound effect on the way you live your life. Odds are that you will be more relaxed and have a better perspective than your non-fishing peers. Spending years on the water will give you a stronger character than many men you meet that are much older than you. You will be far more likely to feel connected to a higher power than the unfortunate souls who live most of their lives in trivial indoor pursuits. Chances are that you will become a conservationist by default and will be far more interested in political issues that could effect your passion than the people that say "why should I care?"

After 40+ years of doing this I still get an endorphin rush that I can't explain..whether I'm sharpening some hooks or watching a fat 8 pounder trying to break my rod!......Now matter how long you live or how many fish you catch, you will never be able to say ...."well, now I'm satisfied or now I know everything etc"

ps..on a serious note Please wear SUNSCREEN...it probably don't seem like a big deal to a young buck like you now but...trust me on this...SPF40+ and reapply often.
One of the best posts I've ever read
Old 02-21-12, 12:16 AM   #9
basshunter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post

Thanks for the nice reply Kenneth. Since I really got into fishing a few years ago I can honestly say it has changed my life. Ive never really have had a passion in anything what so ever until I really have gotten into fishing. Fishing is very therapeutic to me. I have fished my whole life but not to often. My dad would get me out a couple times a yr and I would be bored to death within 30 minutes. I'm 22 now and fishing really didnt click with me until a few years ago, but when it did it really got me.

And yes im already a conservationist, I kinda owe that to being raised by my father. I was taught good, i call my dad the recycling nazi lol. Which I think is great I just like to bust his balls. Im part of this organization here in Erie called S.O.N.S we have days we clean up trash in the streams/lakes, have fishing events to teach kids to fish and work with special needs kids. Its a good time.

Im trying to get my buddy into fishing and was trying to describe that feeling of catching a nice sized fish. Or even that feeling that every single cast could be that big one, I love everything about. Another thing I love about fishing is that theirs no rules on how to fish a certain bait or lure. You can be creative and experiment.

Yes I need to wear sunscreen more, this one day last summer I fished all day wading w/o a shirt in this pond and the water acted as a reflector and got burned terribly. Needless to say that weekend was hell on earth, the inch you get from bad sunburn is worth than any pain IMO.

What Im really excited about this yr is getting a kayak so I can get off the damn shore and improve my skills. We got this sick Peninsula here that runs into lake erie and its such a nice place to fish. Id love to move down to Florida though. Fishing yr around!

(I guess I already talked about the kayak in this thread) lol
Old 02-21-12, 08:36 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

Hey hunter.....that kayak fishing craze is sweeping the country..."toons" are also an economical way to get offshore, plus they have more of a boat type feel and more capacity. This was the first type of boat I ever had...traded a guy at school an old dirt bike for it. I couldn't have been prouder of a 21' Triton!
Name:  toon2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  11.5 KB
Name:  toon.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  6.2 KB
Old 03-01-12, 03:22 AM   #11
basshunter21

Ya I've seen those, its just not to practical for me. If I was going to get one of those I would just get a Jon boat. Id love to get a Jon boat but I dont have a place to store it. I still live with my dad and his evil wife and I cant keep anything in the back yard and dont have room in the garage.

Plus in general I really enjoy kayaking, every year when I go down to OBX the house we rent has a couple yaks and ill go out for hours I really enjoy em.

I appreciate your idea though ken.
Old 03-03-12, 11:50 PM   #12
Bender

Did you get yours done yet boogieman? I am WAY behind schedule this year and just took mine off the rods today. I've got my work cut out for me:

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 09:59 AM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if ya get tired bender.... i can PM ya my adress lol
Old 03-04-12, 11:18 AM   #14
bassboogieman

Bender, you'll never get done in time. But yes I'm finished. And I thought I had a lot of reels to clean.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 01:51 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

Today was prep day here on the Potomac. Cover off the boat and 16 rod holders installed. GPS updated and all 24 crappie rods rigged and ready. Bait tanks filled and water conditioned. Bait arrives next Friday and boat shakeout next Saturday. One more show next Sunday and BANG season starts...

I still have 10 reels to clean and oil by mid April.

Capt Mike
Old 03-04-12, 08:46 PM   #16
lilmule

Capt if your area is like mine we have pads popping thru already.Id move faster.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.