Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-15-12, 11:46 AM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default lets talk my fav-frogs, and see yall got any new products

soo i love frog fishing, that and jigs is prob my favorite 2, but least productive. As of now i have koppers live target and spro frogs only, well the ones i have used. last time at Bp i got a few booyah pad crashers and kvd sexy frogs. I assume both of these are new for this year. Anyway what are some more frogs i need to be trying this season. more of a fan of the spro style.( well the way that one looks, with the body lay down for hook set)
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 12:07 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't use frogs near as much as I used to, but I still use them from time to time. I have a bunch of Spro frogs and since I don't use frogs too often anymore, I just haven't bought any new frogs for a while.

I have heard a lot of people say bad things about Spro frogs but I honestly haven't had any problems with them at all, but when I need to buy more frogs I will be trying these out.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Snag_...page-SPPF.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Snag_...age-SPIPF.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River...cpage-RBW.html
Old 01-15-12, 12:16 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default well

The spro frog has to be the most popular one used on ky lake and in black.
My own usage they tend to get water in them fairly fast,spro popin frog is better at keeping it out.
So have attempted and gathered up many types,in my search for a better frog and one everyone isnt using.
Pro T or bobbies perfect,sumo,bully wa,depps(worst hookups in my opinion),several off brands I cannot name offhand,and lastly Capt kens frogs,which I love yet also take a different hookset.Skitter legs option being my favorite,like a floating horny toad and poisin dart being my favorite color.That below is a standard legs frog,they are quick change,with many styles of legs.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 01:25 PM   #4
Jrob78

The next frog on my list to buy isn't actually a frog at all. I've had way more luck on buzz type frogs than I have on hollow body frogs but I still like to fish them. Right now I have Spro's, Tru Tungsten Mad Maxx frogs and R2S Bully Wa frogs. I like the body profile of the R2S, it seems to collapse a lot better than the other 2. The Koppers Hollow Body Field Mouse is the one I want to try next. The detailing on the Koppers baits are second to none. I've also heard that Ish's Phat Frog doesn't have to be squeezed after every cast and won't fill up with water, so I will probably get one or 2 of them also.
Old 01-15-12, 08:36 PM   #5
bassinbob

New for me to try this year is the evolve frog. I got the original pulse frog in the steel green color. Jrob have you heard about the muit mouse. I think it would outfish the koppers.
Old 01-15-12, 09:55 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've used several frogs and the one I've had my best success with in number of strikes and hookup ratio is the Spro Poppin Frog. I rarely miss a hookup with that frog. Not sure why, but it's true. The regular Spros are pretty good but the Poppin Frog excells. The Bobbies Perfect Frog is a pretty good one too though no better than the Spro IMO. I did get a Snag Proof Ish Monroes Phat Frog for Christmas and it looks great. Gonna try that. Also I got a River 2 Sea Bully Wa Frog in the secret Santa exchange and I really like how that one looks. The hooks are nice and wide and the body collapses easily. Should have a great hookup ratio with that one. I bend all my hooks out a tad on my frogs to add to the hooking ability. When it comes to solid body swin frogs I like the StrikeKing Rage Frog. Yum made a paddle foot buzz frog I really liked, but I don't think it's available now. I nevere see it anywhere. But Trigger X Agression Frog is similar.
Old 01-15-12, 11:18 PM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
New for me to try this year is the evolve frog. I got the original pulse frog in the steel green color. Jrob have you heard about the muit mouse. I think it would outfish the koppers.
I hadn't until now. That is a sweet looking bait, kind of looks like more of a mouse swim/wake bait than a topwater scum rat type bait. Very cool!

http://www.billsbait.com/muitpics.html
Old 01-15-12, 11:52 PM   #8
Dogmatic

+1 on the Ish's, and +1 on the Kopper's Mouse(definitely at the top of my list for this season). I used Spro's, and Kopper's, but have switched to Ish's. I don't know what it is, I just had more success(hook ups) with it this past season.(want to try these out too...http://www.316lurecompany.com/baits/frog.html)

Last edited by Dogmatic; 01-16-12 at 02:49 AM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 01:20 AM   #9
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This lure is the most productive lure i have ever fished. I have caught over 50 bass in one and half seasoning fishing this lure. http://sporting-goodsonline.com/imag...ing-lures-.jpg the one at your 9 o'clock i only know one place to buy them but if you can find them great lures. The one place is in New York. And they are fairly cheap like 3 bucks a frog next time i see them buying like 10 of them haha.
Old 01-16-12, 09:12 AM   #10
wallywallace

thanxguys, looks like might be going shopping soon
Old 01-16-12, 10:15 AM   #11
bassboogieman

I don't fish frogs too often but when I do I fish Dos Leggos...................

Actually the frog bite on the Potomac is fantastic later in the season and more fun that tormenting 'Bama or NFE. I use the Spro, but prefer the Koppers or Swamp Donkeys. On the Potomac if I know I'm in a highly probable SNAKEHEAD area I use the Spro, least financial impact with the loss of a lure. Actually with snakeheads you could probably drag a hunk of old sock across the mats and get bit I think I have an idea for a new lure - watch for it at ICAST this year.................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 12:15 PM   #12
wallywallace

lol boogie
Old 01-18-12, 12:01 AM   #13
joedog

I really have and use alot of the above mentioned. When the bites on, I may have as many as three poles with three different hollow bodies on.
Here's my take,
Love Ishes for heavier mats. But still throw Sumo Frogs in same areas
Bobby's great for like light to meduim mats or vegation tops (you know what I mean) but River 2 Seas, Plain Tournament Frogs as well as Spros and even a Manns Super Frog work here.
Koppers for open water, docks and such.
But I really really like Ribbits too.
Only thing I've never really had much success with is popping frogs, but that's more from lack of use than anything. But I frequently use traditional poppers.
The one I've never thrown is the mouse type. I really don't know why except maybe because I've never seen a mouse by water much more in it. I'd like to hear more about these.
I use others, but these are more of my go to frogs.
Oh, I do Doctor alot frogs, bending hooks, adding rattles as well as 'chartruesing the tips of skirts'
Thanks to a couple of gentleman from here I now have even more FROG ideas I can't wait to try.

Last edited by joedog; 01-18-12 at 12:08 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 12:23 AM   #14
wallywallace

never thought of rattles
Old 01-18-12, 08:53 PM   #15
bassinbob

joedog the Strike King King Rat works for me. It's a great casting bait that you can throw a mile.
Old 01-18-12, 11:16 PM   #16
joedog

Thanks bassin!
Old 01-18-12, 11:44 PM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am a Spro fan myself. Last time I fished a frog though, I was trying out the Paycheck I got from BB144. It has a nice action, but the fish just wasn't having it that day.
Old 01-19-12, 09:49 PM   #18
TN_Bassin

I throw snag-proof's and spro's. The snag-proof is by far my favorite, with spro being my next go to frog.. been eyeballing the live target hollow bodied one though... I think i'll be picking a few of those up next trip to a grass lake.
Old 01-19-12, 10:17 PM   #19
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
The one I've never thrown is the mouse type. I really don't know why except maybe because I've never seen a mouse by water much more in it. I'd like to hear more about these..
I can't wait to try some new "rat" or "mouse" baits...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/CL8_B...age-CLBWV.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bette...scpage-TR.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jerry...age-JRIRR.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Morea...page-MBTR.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Koppe...e-KOPMOUS.html

http://www.tackletour.com/preview22n...ezzumarat.html

or the bird...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Flipi...age-FTBTB.html

Last edited by Dogmatic; 01-19-12 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 10:44 PM   #20
kennethdaysale

Point of order: I think we can all agree that frog baits are
very productive and that productivity is in no real way because we have somehow fooled a bass into thinking that it is an actual live frog he's seeing. I read a comment somewhere (here or another board or an EZine) that if frogs where truelly in a bass' diet in any appreciable way then given a bass' voracious appetite there soon wouldn't be any frogs left. I believe we can further agree that frogs work so well because of where and how we fish them as opposed to any particular shape they have.
Old 01-19-12, 10:48 PM   #21
Dogmatic

True, true...it is something making a commotion on the surface that attracts bass, that's why when it comes to color selection you really only need a white and a black.
Old 01-19-12, 11:05 PM   #22
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
True, true...it is something making a commotion on the surface that attracts bass, that's why when it comes to color selection you really only need a white and a black.
Whoa-Whoa I appreciate the concurance but lets just hold on a hot sh** minute here! what about green and yellow and red and chartreuse and green with black dots and orange with green stripes and purple with little tan flecks.................
Old 01-20-12, 10:05 AM   #23
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Whoa-Whoa I appreciate the concurance but lets just hold on a hot sh** minute here! what about green and yellow and red and chartreuse and green with black dots and orange with green stripes and purple with little tan flecks.................
...and natural brown with white belly, natural green w/wht. belly, natural brown w/yellow belly, natural green w/yellow belly,green tiger stripes w/red eyes, &....BLACK & WHITE!
Old 01-20-12, 10:24 AM   #24
lilmule

I disagree about bass not eating many frogs they appear to be an opertunistic feeder and non discriminating.I have a pond next to my home chock full of plants from ky lake and chock full of frogs,no bass in it.On the lake where lilly pads are even thicker seldom see a frog out in them possibly next to bank,other predators as well but those are in my pond like turtles,snakes and birds.
And while light and dark black being the most popular here on ky lake,they can tell the difference between say watermelon and black and at times prefer it.I like to use poison dart frogs(yellow and black) like a bumble bee,doesnt match the hatch here would in south america they love it.
I dont think they see color the way we do see most likly lighter or darker shades of white versus black but can tell the difference and sometimes prefer a different shade.White often in a different shade having a blue glimmer or luminous effect.Black being a lesser dark object.
But can and do tell the difference.
Bubblegum pink frog tossed out under a bridge will have stripers inhale it ,they think its a baby bird,look up next time when under one,white wont draw a strike from them.Does a reaction strike matter what color yes but to a lesser degree,and often even in thick cover they get a glimpse of their prey.White being what we toss when active and chasing minnows,and black being a shape they can pick out but nothing is perfect in that scenario,often they want a tad less dark or a brighter or darker white.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-20-12 at 10:38 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 11:22 AM   #25
kennethdaysale

@lilmule agreed lmb can & will & do eat frogs. It's not a myth I've seen it. They are very opportunistic and as has been said for decades they will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. I guess I was trying to say that we shouldn't focus so much on connecting our frog baits to the live animal they represent, but rather on what qualities of a frog technique work so well. I fish in some lakes that have zero naturally occuring frogs and some lakes that are crawling with them, frog baits work equally well in either. What do both those lakes have in common? tons of veggies-shoreline cover-pads-cattails-etc However I fish a couple of lakes that have absolutely no vegetation whatsoever-none-noda-zip....that's a tough lake for a frog bite. Analogy? next time you're (or any of us) out on the lake, bring a 5 gal bucket and a butterfly net and see how many live native buzzbaits you(we) can catch?
Now having said all that, I will concede that there are times when bass will be very specific or so it seems. Case in point (i think i already posted this example last year but i'm posting it again) 30 years ago in N Fla I used to wait until the resident ducks had a fresh brood following mama all over...go to the local feed store buy 3-4 little yellow chicken bitties and take them fishing...zip tie a little harnass to them..slip a hook between the bitty and the harness and toss um out....was I catching big bass on bittys because the fish were fooled into thinking they were seeing a helpless seperated from it's mama duckling? or was that panicked wing flapping surface commotion just more than they could stand? or both? Until we can get Dr Doolittle involved I guess we'll never know

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.