Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-20-12, 03:55 PM   #1
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Which Baitcast Reel to Learn To Cast On

I have a six year old grandson who wants to learn to use a baitcast reel. He has been using spinning reel and can cast as good or better than myself. I can not decide which baitcaster to give him to learn to cast with or do I need to but a different one.
I have the Curado E's 205, 207, and 50. Also have Core 50 and 100mg and the Calais 100 and 200. Also have Daiwa Zillion reels and every size ABU Ambassadeur made. Think the Ambassadeurs are too big for him and probably the Curado's and Calais. Was thinking of using the Core or the Curado 50 to let him start with or is there a better reel for young people to start with.
Noticed Bass Pro have a baitcaster that they claim will not blacklash and is good to use for learning reel. This is my first time to teach someone how to use baitcaster and wanted to get him the best reel possible to start with so he will not be discouraged. He can cast one somewhat but can get no distance or accuracy with it and if tries to get more distance always gets backlash.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 04:28 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats that enigma reel. I have not seen one but from what I heard, they backlash just as easy as any reel.

You would not want him to use a reel that I tuned, that would be way te easy to backlash and frustrating.

A reel with dual brakes would be the easiest to learn with, in my opinion. The pro qualifier is on sale raight now for $79 at BPS. You could even put a thicker oil in the spool bearings to slow it down a bit to help him learn. That would be easy to do, just open the side cover, pop the spool out and add a drop of oil to those 2 bearings, then do the bearing under the cast tension cap thats alos easy to get to. I could send you some oil that would slow it down.
I would start wih all 6 brake pins on and then turn the mag dial up and see how he does.
Also, the pro qualifier is a good enough reel to last him a long time.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 06:51 PM   #3
mike234

Thanks Kevin, I forgot you have tuned every reel I have. I will check on the reel and order one for him. Good ideal having dual brakes. Would never have thought of that.
Once again thanks.
Old 02-20-12, 06:53 PM   #4
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Thats that enigma reel. I have not seen one but from what I heard, they backlash just as easy as any reel.

You would not want him to use a reel that I tuned, that would be way te easy to backlash and frustrating.

A reel with dual brakes would be the easiest to learn with, in my opinion. The pro qualifier is on sale right now for $79 at BPS. You could even put a thicker oil in the spool bearings to slow it down a bit to help him learn. That would be easy to do, just open the side cover, pop the spool out and add a drop of oil to those 2 bearings, then do the bearing under the cast tension cap thats alos easy to get to. I could send you some oil that would slow it down.
I would start wih all 6 brake pins on and then turn the mag dial up and see how he does.
Also, the pro qualifier is a good enough reel to last him a long time.
I only see it for $99.99 on their site. What am I missing, Kevin?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 07:49 PM   #5
mike234

Kevin another question. Would a tune be possible on this reel and make a real difference in its performance. Looking at the reel and thought I will get one for him and one for myself. Would want mine tuned and his also after he learns to fish it.
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mike234; 02-20-12 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 03:22 AM   #6
islandbass

Let him use your smallest curado. My daughter learned at 6 and she did with my curado bsf. When I acquired the Curado 101d she let me have old greenie back and took that.

She learned very fast and all I told her was this... No matter what happens, you have to stop the spool from spinning before it hits anything.

The weird thing is that we just went fishing for the first time in a very long time and when she was fishing with a spinning rig.

I asked if she wanted to use a casting set up and she declined. And after she declined she said, "And I still remember... Stop the spool from spinning before the lure hits anything."

I was thinking in my head, "Yeah!!! That awesome!" Almost brought a tear of joy to at least one eye. lol

Well, she's now 12 and I was impressed she remembered that line like it was yesterday. Wait... It was yesterday.

I devised a leash to address the possibility that they might accidentally throw it into the lake. Yikes!

I call it a rod leash. Take these items on the plank:

Join the pieces as shown:

Shoe lace end to reel foot, other end to special Velcro strap, Strap around wrist (strap to wrist of casting arm)

The rod leash in action:

Jigging for salmon in the salt with an abu g round reel. Like dad, she prefer LH reels.

The evening she learned in the garage.

The day she "traded in" the Curado BSF for the Curado 101D

I have no doubt that your grandson will not take very long to master this skill. Kids learn surprisingly fast. 8 of her first 10 casts were without a single loop of overrun and the other two were very minor that could be cleared in mere seconds without picking it out. Kudos to you for getting him started.
Old 02-22-12, 09:16 AM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Watterboy, the sale starts the 24th I think, It's the spring classic sales. If you go in to a BPS you can turn in an old, working reel and save another $15 off that price.If you don't have anold working reel to turn in, you can buy a cheap zebco for $5.00 there, turn it in and save the $15 which would still be a net save of $10

Mike, the PQ is a fine reel and can be made even better.

Island bass, Mikes Curado 50 E has high performace ceramic hybrid bearings in it along with highly polished spool shaft ends. It would be difficult for many folks to cast let alone a beginner.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 11:54 AM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Watterboy, the sale starts the 24th I think, It's the spring classic sales. If you go in to a BPS you can turn in an old, working reel and save another $15 off that price.If you don't have anold working reel to turn in, you can buy a cheap zebco for $5.00 there, turn it in and save the $15 which would still be a net save of $10

Island bass, Mikes Curado 50 E has high performace ceramic hybrid bearings in it along with highly polished spool shaft ends. It would be difficult for many folks to cast let alone a beginner.
OK, got it -- thanks!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 02:28 PM   #9
islandbass

Quote:

I think I would too!!!! I didn't know that. I can tell you stock, curados are very easy to learn with, at least for my daughter. Every time I recall the day she learned I relive my amazement. The main reason I said the 50 was because of its size for their small hands. It would be easier for the lil ones.
Old 02-23-12, 05:16 PM   #10
DVT Mike

Dual brakes won't hurt but I'd avoid Mag only. I don't see why a tuned reel would be unusable as long as it was set up with a tad extra braking and cast control pressure. Trying to throw bombs is what usually gets people in trouble. I nice easy lob cast with a properly setup reel of decent quality should get most well on their way. I also tape the spool for beginners so that eventual backlash doesn't get too deep.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.