Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-18-13, 10:42 AM   #1
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Water Pump

Looking to replace the water pump on this motor have been doing some reading and they say every three years. I do not know how long this one has been in it is a 1999 Merc 150 EFI watch some videos on you tube and realy does not look hard the one question I have is some of them have wires unhook but none of the videos show what the wires hook up to or how to unhook them. Has any of you done this befor or have the mechanics PDF for this motor.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-13, 11:40 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

can oyu post up a pic bud? i am trying to picture wires in my mind.
Old 01-18-13, 12:12 PM   #3
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Bama

The wires were on the video that I watch and they look like the went in to something in front of the shaft that is driven from the motor. I have not started on mine I am trying to get a fell for it to see if I should try it or not it real does not look hard at all and I am real handy fixing stuff work on my cars at home. Just a little concerend first time doing this.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-13, 12:21 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i helped my borther change out his pump on a susiki motor. you tube vids helped a LOT. it ain't hard for real. if i am correct, there was 1 "wire" on his. sensor i think. ain't hard ot cut and re attach. jsut go slow and i bet you can get it done. lay everything in order and put it back in the same order. i will replace mine this eyar also.

oyu can do if I can. lol!
Old 01-18-13, 04:08 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Its a good idea every two or three years to just have your mechanic change it out if its going in the shop for say a tune up.
All a bit different due to patents and actual operation but do the same thing .On an omc its an impeller and basically a rubber wheel.
The replacements tend not to last as long as the original,so change it out every time its worked on,and if not every two to three years.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 09:12 AM   #6
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have change mine before ,175hp mercury, really not that dificult. Take your time and get someone to help you, it makes all the lifting easier. Don't over thighten the pump housing bolts, it will warp if you do. The very best advise I or anyone else could give you, is to only buy Mercury Quicksilver parts. NEVER, EVER use any after market crap on that engine, you'll regret it. You know the adage, " Pay Me Now Or Pay Me Later, " truer words never spoken when it come to an engine that runs 6000 RPM all day long.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.