Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-10, 02:04 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Veteran's day

I posted something similar last year, but for all of our veteran's regardless of generation or branch of service.

Every year around this time, I am often thanked for my service. I don't mean to appear unappreciative when I do not know how to respond. Simply put, I really don’t know what to say.
I have thrust out my chest during the National Anthem.
I have fallen to my knees during Taps.
I have seen the sunrise over one ocean and the same day see it set on another.
I have shed both blood and tears in places I could barely pronounce.
I have celebrated Christmas in triple digit temperatures and the 4th of July in snow.
I have defended our flag and an American’s right to burn it.
I have thrown punches at members of our armed forces and then quickly covered their back when a foreign local tried to do the same.
I have very adamantly disagreed with the mission and still gave 100% to ensure that it was a success.
I have prayed with a Mormon, Muslim, Jehovah’s Witness, Catholic, Atheist, and Baptist at the same time.
I have seen the cost of freedom.
I have learned that Honor, Courage and Commitment are more than words to me.
When it is all said and done, the only answer I can truly give is, “The pleasure was all mine”
Old 11-11-10, 08:53 AM   #2
bcklash

Thanks Cass. I am very proud of our veterans.

I hope that everyone has a great Veterans Day.
Old 11-11-10, 07:26 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Amen!!!!! Thank you for your service! Thank you for keeping me free!!!!
Old 11-11-10, 08:46 PM   #4
Tavery5

For those of you that were stationed in Korea, you will find this humorous, for those of you who were not, you will find it weird.

rom the deepest, darkest depths of South Korea and the rainy, mucky, rice paddy, mosquito infested pearl of the Far East known as Kunsan Air Base, ROK comes a joyous, near hysterical announcement. Soon, very soon, your loved one will once again be in your midst to take their place in society as a respectable human being.They have survived the worst the Far East has to offer; rain, dust, TOO MUCH water, NOT ENOUGH water, unknown bugs and spiders, GIGANTIC mosquitoes, rats the size of cats, aggressive flies, and poisonous snakes without names or serums, the Kunsan Krud, and the claustrophobia of a gas mask. They have been dehydrated, demoralized, interrogated, intoxicated, unappreciated and uncivilized. If they appear to exhibit certain oriental mannerisms, it's because they are suffering from too much rice, OB beer, soju, white dogs, jungle juice, kimchi, dried squid, yakimanhndo; but most of all, loneliness and depression. Don't worry, these will end in time, given the most generous dosage of patience, understanding, and TLC.In preparing to welcome them back to civilization, you must make a few allowances for the crude environment they have subjected to for the past 12 months. Try to be a good listener as they tell horror stories that may be numerous, varied, and generally true. They have been around the world and back having witnessed some of the most bizarre things imaginable. They have seen many a sad sight and heard many sad tales, but theirs inevitably will be the saddest of all. Some of their behavioral patterns have undergone radical alterations, but you may find them completely unaware their habits are out of the ordinary. Once again, patience is the key to successful rehabilitation.Show no alarm if they prefer to squat, rather than sit in a chair. They may remove their shoes before entering a house. Remain calm when they insist on sleeping on the floor with all their clothes on. They may stare in fascination at any building over three stories high. Be lenient when they try to buy everything at half the market price, and accuse the grocer of being a thief. Don't be surprised if they answer any and all questions with "I HATE THIS PLACE!" Pretend not to notice if they pour gravy on vegetables or add hot sauce to just about everything. Don't be amazed when they stare in wonder at fresh bread and milk. Please don't get mad if they carry toilet paper everywhere. This is a commodity in Korea and can be used as money in case of emergency. Pay no attention when they carry a backpack everywhere, even to the neighbors. It has been faithfully at their side for 12 months and has become a part of them. Also, take it with a smile when they go everywhere with a flashlight. They are expecting the lights to go out at any minute. You will find that their manner of speaking is radically different than it used to be, and sometimes may be totally incomprehensible. They may speak a mixture of English, Korean, Japanese, and Filipino and bits of other languages as well as "MILITARESE". They may lapse into English occasionally, but that will happen if they're talking to a close friend or relative, and then only after it's been established and confirmed that they're talking to a real American. When they meet someone for the first time, they will likely bow at the waist and say something like "AN YOUNG HA SAY YO'". During the course of everyday conversations, they will probably used strange words like YOBO, FIGMO, DMZ, GREEN BEAN, BROWN BEAN, PALI-PALI, YOBO SAYO, A-TOWN, THE VILLAGE, AJIMA, ADASHEE and many other things that make no sense to you but are very near to their heart. They may tend to talk to most people with exaggerated hand gestures and in simplified, almost childlike language. They may also suffix words with strange endings such as "cash-ee", "charge-ee", and "finish-ee". Try to endure these variations with courage and patience and soon they will be able to communicate with the general public with relative ease.There is one other thing I must warn you about. That is the excessive, colorful adjectives, adverbs, and expletives that have been integral part of their vocabulary. With gentle admonishment and reminders, their profanity will eventfully wane to a level of acceptance among mixed groups or scrupulous neighbors.To minimize the dangers of cultural shock and to keep them from hurting others and themselves, the following actions are strongly recommended… DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT at any time, ask them if they have managed to save any money while in Korea! It may induce a state of shock in which they become semi-cationic and begin to mumble something about a club bill, slot machines, house rent, loans to ex-friends, and gifts for departing friends. They may also mention kimchi, cabs/buses, Popeye's at Osan, mink blankets, Starter jackets, leather coats, Wolf Pack Wheels tickets, and too many parties. Do not make any flattering remarks about the great food provided to the troops overseas, or say anything nice about Korea. It could trigger an awesome display of violence. NEVER, NEVER say the words "recall" or "exercise" above a whisper, and if an ambulance or fire truck happens to be within earshot and it's sirens are going, RUN to the door, open it IMMEDIATELY and make no attempt to stop them from bolting out the door. When crossing the street, take care of them. They have become completely oblivious to car horns, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, push carts, and other various forms of transportation that are common in Korea.In order to make them more comfortable in what seems like an alien environment, the following actions are suggested… Don't worry if they get some rice out of the cabinet and spread it on the road, then later burn it; or if they empty the sewer into a ditch and leave it, for these are the odors they are accustomed to. Don't be surprised if upon hearing "God Bless The USA" by Lee Greenwood, they start celebrating in a most jubilant manner and head for the post office and the nearest bottle of alcohol. For the first 10 days, serve nothing but roast beef, either rare or too well done, with plenty of fat. In Korea, this is known as Steamship Round and tastes like the ship was long overdue. Don't serve milk that is less than 2 weeks expired or breads that bounce. Never allow more than one piece of silverware per meal, and be sure it is bent, tarnished, or filthy. To really make them at ease, use plastic dinnerware. Pour household bleach into the drinking water, as this is the taste they have become accustomed to. Plug the drain in the shower so that the water rises to their knees. Be sure to turn off the hot water intermittently, and at your discretion, add a few bursts of scalding hot water followed by immediate loss of water pressure. When washing clothes, add one or two cups of dirt to the water to maintain that yellowish look they have become accustomed to. Have the TV and radio adjusted so that only one station can be received, and try to ensure there is plenty of static. Make sure someone slams the door every half-hour while they're trying to sleep. Every evening about 1900, open all the windows to let in as many mosquitoes as possible as they are accustomed to sleeping with them. Never allow the temperature in the house to fall below 95 degrees in the summer or above 40 in the winter. If they insist on putting the refrigerator in the bedroom do not discourage them. This is where they are accustomed to seeing it. They will eventually realize that it belongs in the empty space in the kitchen. If you or the neighbors have a dog, paint it white because all Korean dogs are white and related. Ignore them if they eye the pooch hungrily and mumble something to the effect of "GOTTA GET SOME KAEGOGI". They have developed a fondness for bicycles, so have the neighborhood kids "buzz" them periodically, being sure they issue no warning and are traveling at least 30 mph. If at all possible make some craters and trenches in the lawn and surrounding area. They're accustomed to negotiating them in a drunken state at night and can not maneuver in a straight line on level terrain. Be sure to start at least two rumors a day about people they know or work with. At least one of these rumors should be vicious and of a personal nature. In other words, they may have the jitters, jumps or twitches, but they will not be lonely, depressed, or unhappy anymore. They may have changed, but inside they are still the same person who left. Because of an entire year away from home, you can be sure that nothing is as important to them as much as being back. Be patient with them and try to help as much as you can, but be careful not to try too hard. And fear not, it has been proven that "Korea-Itus" is not permanent but can be cured in time with a little bit of patience and lots of TLC.In conclusion, put clean sheets on the bed, buy a 12-pack, fill the fridge, prepare their favorite meal, set an extra plate, and send no more mail to PCS 2 Box ____, APO AP 96264 because your loved one is coming home.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 03:21 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I posted something similar last year, but for all of our veteran's regardless of generation or branch of service.

Every year around this time, I am often thanked for my service. I don't mean to appear unappreciative when I do not know how to respond. Simply put, I really don’t know what to say.
I have thrust out my chest during the National Anthem.
I have fallen to my knees during Taps.
I have seen the sunrise over one ocean and the same day see it set on another.
I have shed both blood and tears in places I could barely pronounce.
I have celebrated Christmas in triple digit temperatures and the 4th of July in snow.
I have defended our flag and an American’s right to burn it.
I have thrown punches at members of our armed forces and then quickly covered their back when a foreign local tried to do the same.
I have very adamantly disagreed with the mission and still gave 100% to ensure that it was a success.
I have prayed with a Mormon, Muslim, Jehovah’s Witness, Catholic, Atheist, and Baptist at the same time.
I have seen the cost of freedom.
I have learned that Honor, Courage and Commitment are more than words to me.
When it is all said and done, the only answer I can truly give is, “The pleasure was all mine”
Cassidyta this is without a doubt the coolest thing I have read on here since I became a member, and probably the most important as well. Thank you all military personnel past, present, and future for the sacrifices made to keep us safe. Cass thanks for sharing this.
Old 11-12-10, 04:05 PM   #6
chad_clearwater
BassFishin.Com Member

I was a Cold Warrior. One of my proudest moments, especially as an intelligence geek, was when the Berlin Wall fell. As in the post, I sometimes don't know how to respond. After all, I was one of thousands that sent letters to the military (mine was to USAF) after 9/11 offering to go back active...I'd been retired since 1993. I'm sorry they didn't take me back, but I'd do it all over again.

My eldest son spent time as an active duty Marine and my middle son is jumping through the hoops to join the Army as an officer...I guess you could say the military is our family business!! My dad was a Marine in WWII and my FIL served in the Navy in the South Pacific, one uncle was torpedoed in the N. Altantic and survived...

Yeah, I guess the response "The pleasure was all mine" fits just fine. I wouldn't have had it any other way.
chad_clearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 12:32 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_clearwater View Post
I was a Cold Warrior. One of my proudest moments, especially as an intelligence geek, was when the Berlin Wall fell. As in the post, I sometimes don't know how to respond. After all, I was one of thousands that sent letters to the military (mine was to USAF) after 9/11 offering to go back active...I'd been retired since 1993. I'm sorry they didn't take me back, but I'd do it all over again.

My eldest son spent time as an active duty Marine and my middle son is jumping through the hoops to join the Army as an officer...I guess you could say the military is our family business!! My dad was a Marine in WWII and my FIL served in the Navy in the South Pacific, one uncle was torpedoed in the N. Altantic and survived...

Yeah, I guess the response "The pleasure was all mine" fits just fine. I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Thank you and your family for the sacrifices you all made for our country, from the bottom of my heart.
Old 11-13-10, 01:06 AM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_clearwater View Post

Your family is what heros are made from.
Old 11-20-10, 05:04 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Cassidyta this is without a doubt the coolest thing I have read on here since I became a member, and probably the most important as well. Thank you all military personnel past, present, and future for the sacrifices made to keep us safe. Cass thanks for sharing this.

Can't argue any of the points you just made.
Very, very nice, Cass

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.