Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-09, 05:21 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Going Rainbow trout fishing.

Every year Texas park and wildlife stocks ponds/lakes with Rainbow trout every two weeks until March....They started our area December 2nd
So were gonna hit the banks early with our ultra light gear and rig a few drop shots with corn kernals..

Im extremely excited to try and catch trout...Ive never done it before,so any advice is welcomed and appreciated!....I would like use a lure as well,but no idea what
Old 12-10-09, 06:39 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You might also try small spoons, Mepps spinners, or salmon eggs. As for bait rigs, a carolina type slip rig works pretty well if you want to fish downstream. Otherwise your drop shot should work pretty well.
Old 12-10-09, 06:43 PM   #3
cassidyta

A small rapala coutdown or a kastmaster is the best trout lure that I know of. Just about anything small and flashy will work. Rooster tails and Thomas Bouyants will do it as well, but not as often for me.

If you are going to drop shot, try some of the powerbait trout worms as well.
If you are looking to just sit back and relax, then I suggest getting some powerbait. It looks like playdough and floats.

Don't forget that trout can be very line-shy so don't go too heavy.
Old 12-10-09, 07:11 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

You know I got some Mepp/Rooster tail type spinners...Ill probably try those and see how they produce..They're small,..I got some tiny bluegill/crappie jigs too....Im only gonna take two rods..Im thinking of picking up some 4lb test for the drop shot (I might try a slip rig)....and Ill just use my 8lb for the lures
No fear,how's thats carolina slip rig done?

If I cant hit em with the corn and lures,Ill look into that powerbait....Thanks guys,keep em coming

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 12-10-09 at 07:24 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 08:32 PM   #5
nofearengineer

It's a regular Carolina rig, Waffle. The thing is, in moving water, you can sort of yo-yo the bait or lure, like a little minnow darting back and forth in the rushing water.
Old 12-11-09, 09:22 AM   #6
Bassboss

Small spoons would work!

Or you could try using little flies on the drop shot! These might work too if you cut them down an inch or two!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageOSB-OSTRA.html

Old 12-14-09, 11:37 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Well....we did our best,hahaha..We did three different rigs...Dropshot,slip bobber,and a type of carolina rig..(I used a 1/4 egg sinker and barrel swivel,then tied a 14'' leader with a small hook and used the floating powerbait to suspend the hook in water.
Anway we used powerbait (trout) ,corn,and salmon eggs...Set those up,then walk the area casting teeny,tiny lures, all on ultra clear 4lb test....not a damn thing was caught
Two other guys were there and nobody was hitting.
I did have a few duck attacks....There were tons of f-ing ducks....I set up my first rod ,then while working on the second,a duck flew by and ran into my line.The force threw the rod at me,snapping my line and causing a huge tangled mess.....The second, I was set up on the pier,my buddy was on land next to it...I was talking to him when one of my rods went off!!..I mean it was pulling so hard that the rod nearly went into the water...In all my excitement,I take off running ,slip,and bust my ***, and almost fall in myself...Thinking I hit a catfish,I get to the rod,start reeling,only to see a duck had swam by and got his feet tangled in the line and was causing all the comotion

It was a 5 acre lake...We covered every area,They apparently only stocked around 300 trout..I wonder if we were just late getting into it
Surely not with it only being 10 days,but who knows?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.