Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-12, 04:19 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Bladderwort Grass

Has anyone got this stuff infested in their lake? We have seen it coming for the past 2 years in a private lake we fish and it seems like it has really exploded this year. When we were fishing the other day, the wind protected coves were full of it, where it wasn't last year. I am guessing our mild winter didn't deter it either since we have had lily pads all year too. The lake manager also released 50 grass carp last summer, but maybe they were anorexic or we just need more troops. They have tried the herbicides with no noticeable results yet either.

I don't know, but I do know it is tough to fish. I have tried the ripping method to draw fish out, but I just seem to rip the grass out. I haven't tried pitching a jig in it because it just engulfs a 4' c-tail with a 16 oz sinker and grabs on. It tears very easy and just goes limp and wraps up. And another concern I had the other day was that it had clogged the spillway and we cleaned out for about 45 minutes. As we were cleaning, I looked down and noticed it about 4' under the water. The spillway tube is in 18' of water. I am just wondering if this stuff will eventually take control of the whole lake at all depths.
Old 03-15-12, 05:20 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

Bubba Liquid Sonar will knock it down...just takes multiple applications over several weeks. Caution!!!!! That stuff will kill everything and will suck the oxygen right out of the water.....professional applicators only!

Grass carp need a little size to them before they will eat noticable amounts of any weeds........however in the list of top 20 plants they prefer... Bladderwort does not appear. That means they will eat it ONLY if there's nothing else to eat and they are about to starve. I've seen carp actually beach themselves to eat Tall Fescue and Bermuda Grass rather than eat stuff they don't like.
Old 03-15-12, 06:10 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

They supposedly have professionals coming in and handling this, but maybe it will just take some more time.

I was asking my buddy why we haven't seen any carp rolling. They were 12" when they put them in, but you will normally see them rolling or running the bank. I wonder if the bass may have took them on for lunch before they matured enough.
Old 03-15-12, 07:04 AM   #4
lilmule

Hmmm you will miss it after its all gone,youve trained every org to eliminate.To stock vegetation eating fish,spray insecticides,virtually eliminate anything green in the water.
Me I want to shoot down black choppers spraying,or mib in general,you find a small patch go back in a month figure it will be topped and its gone.
All things in nature occur in cycles,being thick a few years then something else,yes a few places here had lilly pads that reappeared in nov,and now back up already a month ahead of time,however its my wish it would spread,but cant please everyone some like to ski in 3 ft of water,and tva will give away pellets to landowners who have docks that might turn green,as spray main lake not coves so private owners assist in removal.
Studies have shown since removal each years class of bass has gone down in numbers.
Agreeably boat lanes need to be kept open and pleasure boaters also need some room,however those same orgs wont stop till they get it all.
Feel free to box some up with roots or rhizones in wet newspaper and send here.
Normally no matter how thick the deeper water where boats move around in stays open,most dont like current or movement of water or props cutting them.So where it really matters it takes care of it herself mother nature that is.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-15-12 at 07:13 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 07:08 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Do you have a picture of bladderwort grass?
Old 03-15-12, 07:23 AM   #6
lilmule

Grass carp wont eat much grass the first year,and most of what will kill this will kill everything else.

it wont grow in deep water or boat channels or where current flows,so unless its a still moving lake shouldnt pose much of a problem.Exception being bays that are shallow, acidic waters and can form dense mats. around docks etc,not being a dock owner I dont care leave my grass alone.
Wouldnt do any good to send me some Ky lake is not acidic.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-15-12 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-15-12, 07:33 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

I've got to agree with lilmule on this one. I am a big fan of the benefits of "weeds" and I hate grass carp and chemicals.(google Doug Hannon's video rant against Sonar!). HOWEVER in a SMALL body of water it can and will take over if you don't stay on top of it somehow.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 03-15-12 at 07:38 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 07:52 AM   #8
lilmule

In my defense nature by normal means fills in small ponds via siltation,we or man merely keeps them open longer.She sometimes needs a helping hand but not much more than that.
Small shallow ponds are natural occurring filters of nature,and its in their nature to close up if not with any flow of water, with it we eventually get the grand canyon.
We are here but a fraction of that time,so why do we wish to control it all the time.
ill climb down off my soap box now
Old 03-15-12, 09:51 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Never missed it before it was there though. But I do see your point respectively.

KD, I will get some pictures next time we are down there. There a ton of variances of the grass from what I have read and I did a google images search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Old 03-19-12, 09:54 AM   #10
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This stuff is horrible. It is not like hydrilla, lilly pads etc. It is invasive and has clogged shallow sections of our lake. It doesn't fish like other weeds. It's thick from top to bottom. If you can find a rock clump or something creating an opening, any fish in the area will be there. Beside that, I fish the deep edge and other areas of the lake.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.