Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-12, 11:21 AM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Is there andaverage rate formula for sinking baits

I'm just wonder if there is a general formula/rule for any sinking bait for any given weight? I do know line size matters in the rate of any given bait would fall. (I normally use 8lb line, except for pan fishing, trout, I use 6lb) (like fishing for spended fish at depths greater then most crack baits will reach, or when said bait would be to big for the targeted fish, like crappie, trout or cold/hot water bass fishing)
I sure hope I've worded this question right. Thanks for your insight in this matter!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 01:07 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you're talking about jigs, spinnerbaits, Texas-rigged or Carolina-rigged plastics, etc (basically anything that's fairly dense), then a decent rule of thumb is about 1 foot of sink per one second. Of course, that's a loose rule of thumb....a 3/4 oz jig would fall a lot faster than a 3/4 oz spinnerbait....you'll have to fudge some on your calculations.
Old 03-14-12, 06:06 PM   #3
islandbass

Don't know how old you are, but I am sure you could find on google sites that would show this. You might have to brush up on your physics skills.

You will most likely need to look at things like Drag, Gravity, water's density, and the mass of the object just to mention a few things.

For the sake of simplicity, I would not factor in the influence of the line in calculating the rate of a falling body in water.

Maybe NFE already knows how to do this. Good luck!

Last edited by islandbass; 03-14-12 at 06:20 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 07:14 PM   #4
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

islandbass, lets just say I'm in my mid 50's. And I should know the anwser to my question, but sorry I don't really know. I did look it up on Goggle, and it did have answers, but I was just checking here also.

I'm sure I can figure it out, and I'll just have to write it down, or try to keep it in my head. I sure it's mostly guess work, and trial and error.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 07:25 PM   #5
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
islandbass, lets just say I'm in my mid 50's. And I should know the anwser to my question, but sorry I don't really know. I did look it up on Goggle, and it did have answers, but I was just checking here also.

I'm sure I can figure it out, and I'll just have to write it down, or try to keep it in my head. I sure it's mostly guess work, and trial and error.
I only mentioned age, because I know I certainly don't remember much about physics anymore and if you were younger, physics would not have been on the radar. I am not that far behind you myself.

If NFE sees this and is inclined, he probably already has such an equation programmed into an HP calculator, lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.