Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-12, 10:48 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finally took the Kayak out.

This is gonna be addicting!!

Loaded it up and went to Ray Hubbard to get her wet.
As soon as I sat in the seat I knew I made the right call...I had a few concerns,but they were all wiped cleaned in about 20 minutes.
Took her out un-rigged to get use to it..This is by far the most stable kayak Ive fished out of..I immediately stood up and not once felt tippy (But I have decent balance)..It seems to respond really well to the paddle strokes..I dont have much to compare it too,but definitely had no problems maneuvering it.
I went back to shore and rigged it up...This is really what got me smiling...Not only being able to stand and comfortably cast/fish...But reaching behind and rigging lures,grabbing drinks,etc were a breeze!.
This is gonna be a fishing machine when Im done with it...Heres a few pics with what Ive got going so far with the crate.Not much but a start,need to add a trolley next....Didnt catch any bass,but Ill get her slimed next round
Thanks for looking.
Walker

Old 03-24-12, 11:09 PM   #2
Jrob78

Man, that looks awesome! A few more trips and a few more $$$ and you'll have her rigged up just how you want. I'm glad it's working out for you!
Old 03-24-12, 11:19 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Where is the bass slime on the side? That is awesome Pancake! Glad you finally got to christen her. And it is a nice looking set up.
Old 03-24-12, 11:23 PM   #4
Tavery5

Looks cool, probably be easy to get into some places that you could not reach in a regular boat.
Old 03-25-12, 12:11 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Quote:
Looks cool, probably be easy to get into some places that you could not reach in a regular boat.
The beauty of kayak fishing. When we were in FL in Jan., I was in water (and catching bass) that I would not have gotten my Triton into, or anywhere near. They are a lot of fun.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 10:43 AM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Waaayyyy cool.
Old 03-25-12, 11:03 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Way to go Waffle, looks great!

BB
Old 03-25-12, 11:44 AM   #8
bassinbob

That is awsome. Have fun.
Old 03-25-12, 12:12 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Looks awesome, WJ -- hope you have lots of great outings with it! Looking forward to the report from the next round when you get her slimed.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 02:42 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

Thanks guys!

Yea Tony I actually put that to the test and floating in about 1/2' of water chasing gar behind a grass patch.Tons of logs and stumps back there...Oh and water snakes!....Then push poled my way over the grass back out...No problems!
Yea its really stealthy gliding into a spot.Almost completely silent..I was sitting there retying when I paused and looked around...Just sitting perfectly still without a single noise...It was very peaceful!
Old 03-25-12, 05:02 PM   #11
keithdog

That looks awsome buddy! I noticed you lable your lure boxes exactly as I do. And I see a Pro Qualifier in there too. Very nice rig. Have a question. Whats that round disc thing in the nose of the yak?

Last edited by keithdog; 03-26-12 at 07:23 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 07:50 PM   #12
bassboogieman

The large black one, Keith? That's the front hatch cover.
Old 03-26-12, 10:19 AM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The large black one, Keith? That's the front hatch cover.
Yea it has the two locking hatches...The only issue is there is not on in the tank wel...So I cant access under the hull back there...Not a huge issue,but would have been nice for rigging and more storage.

They seem to keep out water pretty well..I expect water to get in there,but the kayak has a drain plug on the back if it does.
They also angle the smaller hatch to make it easier to slide rods inside if you want to..Ill probably carry my ultra lite around in it.

I picked up some vacuum sealed storage containers for now to carry my wallet,keys and phone (phone is also sealed in a ziplock as cheap insurance).It wedges in the front pretty well for now,Ill invest in WP cases later....Oh and Dad,if you read this..Those aren't my cigarettes ...Im carrying them for a friend

The red bag is my first aid kit.

The large front hatch will carry a spare paddle,set of dry clothes in colder days,and my FF battery when I buy one.

Old 03-26-12, 11:27 AM   #14
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use small portable FF battery last several days w/o a recharge, and very light(Cabela's sells a two pack w/charger for relatively cheap, or there is always eBay), but a nice rig,all the room anyone needs, much fun to come. Good Luck next time out.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 01:27 PM   #15
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

My advice..after fresh and saltwater fishing out of a kayak for about five years is......you've done it now...you will be addicted

Fish out of her a while and I think you will carry less and less

you will probably start building rods geared for the kayak

enjoy it ...I remember those days fondly
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 07:53 AM   #16
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
My advice..after fresh and saltwater fishing out of a kayak for about five years is......you've done it now...you will be addicted

Fish out of her a while and I think you will carry less and less

you will probably start building rods geared for the kayak

enjoy it ...I remember those days fondly
X2! Welcome to the addiction! The ability to go and fish everywhere bass boats can go (albeit a bit slower), and many places they can't go, is what hooked me years ago. No need for gas or costly repairs and maintenance... I've been able to spend much more of my fishing budget on upgrading fishing gear. I love it!
Old 03-28-12, 06:45 PM   #17
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Very cool, Waffle!!!!

Lovin the looks of your yak. What brand is it?
On the subject of no hatch in the tank well, a jig saw can cure that right quickly!!!

I got all my Trolley parts from austinkayak.com, except for the rope and stainless ring.

Hit me up if you need any help there
Old 03-28-12, 06:46 PM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

NVM, I looked back and see it's a Wilderness
Old 03-29-12, 09:05 AM   #19
joedog

Congrates waffle on your new chapter of fishing. Man are you going to have qa great summer.
Enjoy and the bass slime will follow!
Old 03-29-12, 01:16 PM   #20
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

No one mentioned, but it is one of the great enjoyments, and most pleasant part of fishing out of a yak or toon...the quiet. How peaceful it is(as long as there aren't other motorized boats buzzing about), and stealthy it is, just a huge draw, especially at night, under the stars. You'll find yourself just going out for the hell of it, fish or no fish(although, hooking fish is a big plus), it's just more relaxing then fishing out of a motorized boat.(let's face it, sometimes fishing is stressful)
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 01:53 PM   #21
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
No one mentioned, but it is one of the great enjoyments, and most pleasant part of fishing out of a yak or toon...the quiet. How peaceful it is(as long as there aren't other motorized boats buzzing about), and stealthy it is, just a huge draw, especially at night, under the stars. You'll find yourself just going out for the hell of it, fish or no fish(although, hooking fish is a big plus), it's just more relaxing then fishing out of a motorized boat.(let's face it, sometimes fishing is stressful)

Actually Dog,I mentioned that in post#10

Its very peaceful...
I plan on hitting it again early Saturday morning.If I cant locate bass on beds,Im gonna bust the ultralite out and chase sand bass buy the bridges..Bout to run up to the place in Dallas to buy a few things for rigging...I have a nifty idea for laying the rods down up front....I dont think Ill like a Scotty mount up there.I wanna keep the that area fairly clear..Well see how this works....More pics coming soon.
Old 03-29-12, 02:59 PM   #22
bassboogieman

If you're going to use a sonar and want to mount the transducer inside the 'yak - I used electrical duct sealer (putty) form Home Depot or Lowes. You need a golf ball sized piece, keeping it relatively thin at the hull set the 'ducer in the putty and push it in, then push the rest up and around the transducer to hold it in place. Mine hasn't moved in a year, and if you want to change it later it's easy to get out, without damage to the hull. Water doesn't hurt it either should you get a little inside the 'yak.
Old 03-29-12, 03:40 PM   #23
WaffleJaw

Quote:
If you're going to use a sonar and want to mount the transducer inside the 'yak - I used electrical duct sealer (putty) form Home Depot or Lowes. You need a golf ball sized piece, keeping it relatively thin at the hull set the 'ducer in the putty and push it in, then push the rest up and around the transducer to hold it in place. Mine hasn't moved in a year, and if you want to change it later it's easy to get out, without damage to the hull. Water doesn't hurt it either should you get a little inside the 'yak.
Bruce thanks for the info.Ive read inhull transducers mess with the water temp readings? Is this an issue for you?

My Dad and I are actually going up to BPS Sunday to look at FF...He was gracious enough to offer me a loan for a unit so I can get something started for the track rails.

Looking at the new ELITE 4X DSI...With small ram mount
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lowra...age-LEDSI.html.

Speaking of the track rails...Im thinking of dedicating the left side to all sonar....
For the tranducer,I was just looking at these on my lunchbreak..I think I can make one pretty easily using a black cutting board/pvc/and t bolts.

http://www.madfroggear.com/liberator/liberator.html

However,I really like how this guy set his up....He got some great DIY mods on his site.
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...-for-2012.html

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 03-29-12 at 03:57 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 05:41 PM   #24
bassboogieman

You may loose a degree in temp due to the insulation of the hull and the putty, that's the reason you want to keep it thin against the hull, but build the putty up around the sides to keep the transducer in place. You have a similiar drop when you mount one inside a boat. In deeper water it's not a big issue as it can only tell you surface temp anyway. In a 'yak, though in shallow water it may be more of an issue, but a degree or so shouldn't be a game killer.

I also used the putty to secure a small plastic container in which I put my small 12v battery (you can pick them up at BPS or Cabela's complete with a charger). I cut a piece of foam to fit in the container, then cut out a piece the size of the battery, holds it pretty good. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Old 03-29-12, 10:36 PM   #25
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
If you try the duct seal it will cost you two bucks and if you don't like it ...you've lost two bucks. Anything in the water...like a transducer...or even a rudder...a stringer..trust me you will know its there. The temp reading is real close after ten minutes in the water . and no drag or need to deploy. A little time spent in your boat fishing...and you will find out what you do and don't want.Good call on the scotty... hold off mounting crap till you know you need it. Good luck,Wes
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.