Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-09, 10:50 AM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What gear do you take when you’re fishing from the bank?

Just wanted to see what reels and line everyone takes on there outings when you fish from the banks.

I would like to take about 10 reels out but I don’t have a boat so hauling that many poles would not be feasible. So I generally take 3 with me.

1. I always take my Spinning Pflueger President with 20lb Suffix Braid for dropping a lump of chicken liver for catfish.
2. Spinning Shimano Sedona with 10lb Trilene Mono (with bobber) for the Crappie / Bluegill / Trout, general panfish.
3. Quantum Shaw Grigsby Baitcaster with 10lb Suffix Elite Mono for bass fishing.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 11:05 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It depends. I bring the rigs that I think suit the conditions. My experience shows that no matter how many I bring, no more than 3 get used. I like and use your 3 rig approach.

More than four rigs and it starts to get impractical and cumbersome. Fortunately, from the shore 3 rigs can usually do most applications. Someitmes, on rare occassions, I will bring a fourth.

1) 1 Med to Med Light action to handle your finesse, drop shot and topwater. My medium light is also capable of handling ultralight duties and it is a spinning rig.
2) 1 Med action to serve general purpose treble lures (cranks and topwaters) and lighter single hooks (wacky, senko, light t-rigs)
3) 1 Med Heavy to Heavy actopm to handle bigger single hook lures

The last two could be casting or spinning and just depends on what I want to bring.

This is my approach. There is a little cross over. I do not get the opportunity to face true heavy cover conditions but you could add such a rod to your arsenal.

I can also show you how you can carry up to three rods with just one hand. I got tired of carrying multiple rods with my fingers and having the rod tips banging around during walking.
Old 10-29-09, 11:29 AM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Shore fishing for me I decide what I am after ahead of time.
If bass fishing I usually carry only two rods. More become cumbersome.
I will have one rigged with plastic, the other will have either a spinnerbait or a crankbait of some type. Both rods baitcasters.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 11:59 AM   #4
Bub
BassFishin.Com Member

Since the only shore fishing I normally do is for catfish, I would bring a chair, a cooler with ice'd down beverages, my catfish (tackle) box, and about 4-5 ol' Zebco's I save just for catfishin'. Oh, and once in a while I'll bring the wife along too
Old 10-29-09, 12:35 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

I take 3.
7ft BC combo for plastics
6'6 BC combo for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits,etc.
6' BC combo for crankbaits,topwater
I usually take my two spinning rigs and leave them in the car...back ups for windy conditions,or if I want to downsize to finesse fishing.......Or catfising,lol

IB,I got the three-in-one hand mastered,haha
I do alot of stalking and moving on the banks...Im like a hillbilly ninja on the creeks.
I use to take 5 rods with me,plus rod holders to keep them all off the ground,but like stated above,it was overkill....Three is the perfect number for ME...Especially since I only get to fish for short periods of time...
Old 10-29-09, 01:53 PM   #6
islandbass

WJ,

I can absolutely relate to the ninja moves on the banks while holding rods in the fingers! I think the difference between the hillbilly ninjas where you are and the ones here is that the ones here could probably spare a pinky to hold their Starbucks lattes and capuchinos.

"refraining from a latte a day for 30 days could afford you a Citica."
Old 10-29-09, 03:00 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

HAHAHA!

(off topic)
My wife went to school in Seattle years ago..The two things she told me was ''No one uses AC,and everyone is a latte junkie!''...Were pretty bad too.I use to work as a shift manager at a Starbucks some time ago..Ive never seen a full grown man get so mad that he threw his coffee on the ground and stormed out because I didnt put 4 pumps of cinnamon in it...and yet comes in the next day (like everyday) and orders it again and acts like nothing happened.
douchebag.

(on topic)
I just got back from lunch..Did a little bank fishing on creek by me..huge creek,hardly any pressure,and good size bass....no fish today,but I think its time to start chumming again with some cheap,wet dog food...Havent done that in awhile and I've had good success bank fishing after a day or two of chumming....I read in Field and Stream about using one of those tennis ball chunkers you use for dogs...load it up with ''whatever'' and you can fling it up to 40 to 60'
So I'll probably start carry wet dog food when fishing the same area regularly..So I'll put that back on the list
Old 10-29-09, 03:05 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

Take a can of wet dogfood and use a can opener to put 5-6 holes in each end of it, put it in a sock, and tie it onto your heaviest rod/reel. Chunk it out and let it sit for a while, then start casting close to it. It should attract all kinds of catfish, panfish, minnows, and bass.
Old 10-29-09, 03:31 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Take a can of wet dogfood and use a can opener to put 5-6 holes in each end of it, put it in a sock, and tie it onto your heaviest rod/reel. Chunk it out and let it sit for a while, then start casting close to it. It should attract all kinds of catfish, panfish, minnows, and bass.
I read a similar idea on a catfish forum....But this one is much better with the casting it out,and leaving it in the can....Great idea MB
Old 10-29-09, 04:00 PM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Two rods most of time! A spinning combo (Shakespeare inspinty ) with 10lb big game mono (I wanna put some 8lb flouro on it though) And a BPS Johnny Morris gold baitcaster, and a Cabelas XML rod - 6'6", 14lb bps flouro.

Not a bad baitcaster, but I wanna up grade the spinning reel... something that don't suck, but is not too $$$$. I think I'll go with a Trion.

Old 10-29-09, 05:59 PM   #11
fish4942

Quote:
Why attach it to your reel? Why not just chunk it out there and let it sit? Maybe these instructions are for river fishing where there’s a strong current.
Old 10-29-09, 06:20 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

If you want to leave litter where you fish, feel free. I prefer not to, though.
Old 10-29-09, 06:26 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
Why attach it to your reel? Why not just chunk it out there and let it sit? Maybe these instructions are for river fishing where there’s a strong current.
Well you want to be able to retrieve the trash when your done...I was thinking a good chunk of nylon rope and swinging it would be just as effective....haha,I would love for someone to see me slinging a sock on a fishing pole .....oh the excuses I would have
Old 10-29-09, 06:51 PM   #14
bamabassman

i think mississippiboy was referring to using a rope to cast out the sock of caned dog food. i have done that many, many times. and he is dead on, it'll draw all kinds of species...bass, bream, cats and crappie.
Old 10-29-09, 07:08 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It really depends on where I'm fishing. I'll take my tackle bag, but not my bad with soft plastics. I throw a couple dozen bags of the ones I use most often in the side pockets of my main bag. I normally bring 4 rods.

I always have my 7'M mojo bass spinning rod with Pflueger Supreme 8030
I always have my 6'6" MH Johnny morris signature rod w/ Daiwa Viento
Sometimes I'll carry my 7'2" Shimano crucial DS rod, my 7' M M cranking stick with AG Revo, 7' H Loomis IMX with a Citica, and 7' M Pro Qualifier with Johnny morris signature baitcaster.

BB
Old 10-30-09, 09:20 AM   #16
fish4942

Quote:
If you want to leave litter where you fish, feel free. I prefer not to, though.
Good point.
Old 10-30-09, 11:40 AM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
It really depends on where I'm fishing. I'll take my tackle bag, but not my bad with soft plastics. I throw a couple dozen bags of the ones I use most often in the side pockets of my main bag. I normally bring 4 rods.

I always have my 7'M mojo bass spinning rod with Pflueger Supreme 8030
I always have my 6'6" MH Johnny morris signature rod w/ Daiwa Viento
Sometimes I'll carry my 7'2" Shimano crucial DS rod, my 7' M M cranking stick with AG Revo, 7' H Loomis IMX with a Citica, and 7' M Pro Qualifier with Johnny morris signature baitcaster.

BB
Dang BigB! I really hate you!! You got some good stuff!
Old 10-30-09, 09:14 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Dang BigB! I really hate you!! You got some good stuff!
If you're patient enough, you can find some great deals. I don't think I paid full price for anything I mentioned except the Mojo and the Pflueger Supreme. (and I guess the cranking stick, but my dad and I built it so I don't know if it really counts...)

But with the possibility of a new camera in my near future, I've had to lock the baitmonkey up... I can't image what he'll be like after I get my camera and save up more money... Hmm one of these, and these, and one... er... two of these, ooh, two for the price of three! I'll take six!

Back on topic, one thing I forgot was that it will make your rod choice MUCH easier if you only target one species at a time. The only time I won't is if I can keep by my truck. then I may take an UL or my flyrod (so I can display my horrible fly fishing skills) with me.

BB
Old 10-31-09, 07:51 AM   #19
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I rarely don't pack an ultralight outfit in my truck as a last resort. Nothing like having two baitcasters spooled with 14 pound test at the ready only to find your favorite fishing hole gin clear.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 11:02 AM   #20
Cavs1123

I take my Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier BC/Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier LTD 6'6" MH
Bass Pro Shops Megacast Spinning/Berkley Cherrywood 7' M
Abu Garcia Black Max/Daiwa Megaforce 6'6"
and my whole tackle bag!LOL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.