Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 06-16-13, 03:22 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Game of Thrones

This one's for you Bryce.

Bryce actually got me interested in this HBO series just before the start of the 2012 season. I guess I never thanked him for it, but I've gotten interested and it's a darn shame it's only 10 episodes per season. Last year I caught up watching the first couple seasons I missed through ON DEMAND and this year watched every week. This seasons next-to-last episode was a killer - literally - totally unexpected and somewhat of a shock. The season finale could not possible match it, and sadly it didn't, but I can't wait for next season...

So, as I am an old fart and who knows how long the series will continue - as the saga certainly does - I bought the books. I don't know about everyone else, but I find (usually) a movie or TV show/series based on a book cannot possibly carry the detail contained in a written story. I'm finding that true as I begin reading the multi-book series. I bought a five-book package e-book for my Kindle and it will keep me occupied for a while. There are more than 5 in the series and eventually I'll get to them but for now the 5 are what I have to digest.

If you like the series and you like (hey 'bama in your case it should be CAN ) read, I think you might enjoy. I am, so far.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 05:42 PM   #2
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Game of Thrones is a great show but....Daenerys Targaryen is the real reason to watch! Please see pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daenerys Targaryen.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	8798  
Old 06-16-13, 07:26 PM   #3
bassboogieman

In the words of Flip Wilson... "You're gonna have to slay a dragon for some of this".
Old 06-16-13, 07:53 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
In the words of Flip Wilson... "You're gonna have to slay a dragon for some of this".
Ahhh...good ol' Geraldine. I can't believe you brought up Flip Wilson!

Yes, it is a great series, Bruce. And I must say, even though I knew the Red Wedding was coming, it was still a shock to watch.

Don't worry though. All shall be repaid.
Old 06-16-13, 08:58 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Quote:
Yes, it is a great series, Bruce. And I must say, even though I knew the Red Wedding was coming, it was still a shock to watch.
That's the other side of the sword, so-to-speak, reading the books. Watching the series unfold on TV as opposed to reading the books and knowing what lies ahead. But I need to know and can't wait for HBO to tell the story, I'd be ninety before it's completed. I think it is supposed to encompass TWENTY FOUR books in total (not that they all will be included in the HBO deal) and they have only issued like 7 or 8 (?) volumes to date.
Old 06-17-13, 11:37 AM   #6
aikenyounggun

I saw a couple this year at college (roommate) but had no time to watch them. Well my study abroad group (all poly sci) majors talked about it constantly. One of the guys said I should read the books first cause they are awesome but found out when I got home we had changed TV providers and had them on demand. So I have started the TV shows. They are good! Still gonna read the books, hopefully this summer.

And I agree with you BassinBandit, she is easy on the eyes. Best of the show for sure. One of my favorite characters, but not my current favorite.
Old 06-17-13, 06:27 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
Game of Thrones is a great show but....Daenerys Targaryen is the real reason to watch! Please see pic below
Well, certainly not the only reason to watch but she is the BEST eye candy in the show! Bruce, my wife and I got hooked on this show and we can't get enough. I can't wait till that boy King Joffrey get his head chopped. At least, I hope so! We don't subscribe to HBO so we rely on videos of the previous season to watch. Real bummer! Havn't found it on On Demand here.
Old 06-17-13, 08:56 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Anybody read the books? I've read the first three then kind of ran into a long stretch where I haven't had much time to read.

I haven't seen the show though (we don't get HBO).

BB
Old 06-18-13, 07:48 AM   #9
MississippiBoy

Many moons ago, I tried reading the first one, but I couldn't get through it. I think there were too many characters for me to keep track of, so I lost interest. I don't think I have the book anymore, or I might try again. Or I may get it on our Kindle.
Old 06-18-13, 07:59 AM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Many moons ago, I tried reading the first one, but I couldn't get through it. I think there were too many characters for me to keep track of, so I lost interest. I don't think I have the book anymore, or I might try again. Or I may get it on our Kindle.
I would have been the same way Daniel. I can't keep track of everything and everyone in the TV series even.
Old 06-18-13, 09:22 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Daniel, let me know when you get a chance to read it and I can lend it to you on Kindle for 2 weeks. That way you'll at least get to start into it before having to buy it.

BB
Old 06-18-13, 10:51 AM   #12
bassboogieman

As I mentioned I bought the 5 book (e-book) package for the Kindle. I've finished book 1 and it was not a chore to read. I found it fleshed out my understanding of the various Houses of the Kingdom as well as relationships between characters that was difficult to ascertain from the HBO series at times. I am totally enjoying the reading - so far. Now halfway through book 2, and again, the story is told in more detail than could be possible in a video format. I would recommend the books to any fan of the series on HBO.
Old 06-19-13, 06:21 PM   #13
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Well, certainly not the only reason to watch but she is the BEST eye candy in the show! Bruce, my wife and I got hooked on this show and we can't get enough. I can't wait till that boy King Joffrey get his head chopped. At least, I hope so! We don't subscribe to HBO so we rely on videos of the previous season to watch. Real bummer! Havn't found it on On Demand here.
Not the only reason but definitely the best reason I do like the show too though
Old 06-19-13, 08:02 PM   #14
bassboogieman

Guys you know Daenerys Targaryen is only 14 years old don't ya? Perverts, you can be arrested for touching that. See, TV has it's benefits - making her older so she can be seen naked, but in the book she is only 14, just one of the many differences between the book and the transition to TV. Many of the main characters in the book are really children and early teens, not young adults as TV depicts them. Now on a completely different angle, Peter Dinklage's portrayal of the dwarf Tyrion is so good I think of him every time he comes up in the book, he is perfect (if you don't count the fact both his eyes are the same color)!!!
Old 06-19-13, 10:43 PM   #15
keithdog

I would have to say Peter Dinklage's character Tyrion is probably my favorite character in the show. He really cracks me up at times and seems to have more upstairs than any character in the show.
Old 06-20-13, 06:00 PM   #16
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Guys you know Daenerys Targaryen is only 14 years old don't ya? Perverts, you can be arrested for touching that. See, TV has it's benefits - making her older so she can be seen naked, but in the book she is only 14, just one of the many differences between the book and the transition to TV. Many of the main characters in the book are really children and early teens, not young adults as TV depicts them. Now on a completely different angle, Peter Dinklage's portrayal of the dwarf Tyrion is so good I think of him every time he comes up in the book, he is perfect (if you don't count the fact both his eyes are the same color)!!!
Considering Daenerys Targaryen is nude in almost every episode that she is in, I think I am okay.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.