Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which should I go with?
Abu Garcia- Vendetta= $70 15 88.24%
Cabelas- 2 Tourney Trails Rods= $60 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-11, 04:39 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Are 2 Rods really better than 1?

So I had my mind made up that the Vendetta was going to be my next rod. I get $10 of the $80 price tag so I can pick it up for $70. But then I was doing some crappie fishing and decided to take my spinning reel with my 7’ rod that I usually us for bass fishing out on the trip. Keep in mind that my other crappie rods 6’0 & 6’6” range. With this seven footer I was able to drop my jig and slip bobber in places that I never thought about trying before. I was pitching under low hanging branches, in between branches and limbs in the water, over obstacles that I would normally avoid. It just so happen that I have a Pflueger President that I need a rod for to add to my crappie arsenal. So as luck would have it I receive a coupon from Cabelas for buy 1 Tourney Trail rod get one free good thru this weekend May 15th. So I can get 2 Tourney Trails for $60. I already have one 6’6” on my Shimanno Sedona which is my main crappie setup. But now I’m torn because that Vendettas has been on my “to get” list for a while. But it’ll be awfully hard to pass up on the 2 Tourney Trails at that price.

So what better place to help me decide than here with my fellow anglers and gear *****s (no offense, just accept it).
Speak on it my brethren!
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 05:26 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I will always take quality over quantity, unless there are extreme circumstances.

Here's my reasoning: Getting the better quality (and often more expensive) one in the beginning really does save you money. Let's say you bought the two $30 rods, then later decide to upgrade them to Vendetta. Now you've spent $200 instead of the $140 that two Vendettas would've cost.

I've also learned to just get what you really want. If you get the Cabela's rods, you'll regret not getting the Vendetta that you've wanted for a while. Trust me, I've done this enough, and I should've learned my lesson by now.

I know it's hard to resist getting more of a lesser item. I resist the temptation to buy couple Veritas or Carbonlite rods every time I go in to BPS. I know they're not as good and that I won't like them as much as my Dobyns, but there's just something about having two that is tempting.

So like I said, stick with what you've wanted for a while and the better quality of the two.

BB
Old 05-12-11, 05:52 PM   #3
bamabassman

my vote says it all buddy.
Old 05-12-11, 07:01 PM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Vendetta is a good rod, but it is not going to offer you any real advantage over the lesser expensive rod if all you are going to use it for is crappie fishing. Buy the best tool for the job. It does not make any sense to use a wrecking ball when a sledge hammer will do the job.
Old 05-12-11, 07:47 PM   #5
bamabassman

i understand what you mean tavery. but i still say go for the vendetta. if oyu want to fish fer crappie, get a ol zebco 33 set up, only bout 30 bucks. there, now ya got 2 rods for bout the same price.
Old 05-12-11, 08:06 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Really depends on who's buyin...how serious they are about fishin...and junk.
I used to but cheaper gear, but now, I lean towards better stuff.
I figure if I buy higher quality, I'll have it for a whole lot longer...and take better care of it lol
Old 05-12-11, 08:08 PM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i understand what you mean tavery. but i still say go for the vendetta. if oyu want to fish fer crappie, get a ol zebco 33 set up, only bout 30 bucks. there, now ya got 2 rods for bout the same price.

strangely enough I think you missed my point entirely
Old 05-12-11, 08:17 PM   #8
Jrob78

For bass fishing, I would definitely opt for the better rod over 2 cheaper ones. For crappie under a cork, I would still go for the Vendetta over the 2 cheaper ones.
Old 05-12-11, 09:50 PM   #9
bamabassman

maybe i did tavs.......but it's cool. iam NOT entirely "here" right now. planning next weeks event is my main objective and i am sorry if i didn't get your point.
Old 05-12-11, 09:53 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
maybe i did tavs.......but it's cool. iam NOT entirely "here" right now. planning next weeks event is my main objective and i am sorry if i didn't get your point.
John's mind is already at the lake going, "Man! Another dink..."

BB
Old 05-12-11, 11:29 PM   #11
fish4942

Just for clarification, with the 2 Tourney Trails 1 would be 7' spinning for Crappie and 1 6'6" trigger / casting for bass.
Old 05-13-11, 05:49 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:

John, I hope you guys enjoy your fishing get together as much as Kevin, Joe and I did. Hope to be able to get together with you guys in the future.

Tony
Old 05-13-11, 06:52 PM   #13
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
John's mind is already at the lake going, "Man! Another dink..."

BB
I will bet a floating rapala minnow that bama is going to catch the biggest bass of the trip.

Another vote for quality over quantity.
Old 05-13-11, 08:46 PM   #14
bamabassman

tavery, i think we will buddy. thank you for wishing us the best tavery, that means alot to ALL of us buddy. and yes...one day we WILL meet for a fishing trip. hopefully someone in between us will host one that we can meet at. maybe in the middle of where you and i are? HINT,HINT SOMEONE,LOL.

and thanks for the confidence island, but i will have not just lisa, but LITTLE Z in my rig with me. i am praying that THEY catch the big ones and LOTS of them. but i AM gonna be trying my best i promise. so oyu may want to retract that bet, i would hate to see a man lose a nice bait on my fishability, hehehe.

and i AM already at the lake anthony............if only in my mind pal. 4 more days............
Old 05-13-11, 09:35 PM   #15
bassinbob

Hey Fish, just for the heck of it I went to Cabelas site and looked up the reviews of the TT rods. Seems like everyone who posted loves the rod. I agree about buying the best for the money you have so as not to regret it later but the reviews really praise that rod.
I say buy the T. Trails and if you don't like them you shouldn't have any trouble unloading them. In this case the cheaper rod might just be a less costly rod.
Old 05-23-11, 11:30 AM   #16
fish4942

The winner was the Abu Garcia Vendetta 6’9” MH. I think it was meant to be because as soon as I got home from BPS with the rod my wife asked me what I had planned for the day. She made plans to do some girly stuff and just relax. My eyes lit up as I had figured I wouldn’t get a chance to use the new Vendetta for a few days. I paired it with my JM CarbonBlack with 40lb power pro and went to pitchin and flippin. Caught 11 bass no more than 10-15 feet from the jetty I was standing on. No lunkers only 2-3 pounders but the rod was excellent. I think I’ve settled on my favorite rods now: BPS CarbonLites and Abu Garcia Vendettas.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.