Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-21-12, 01:28 PM   #1
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Is Shimano going to pot?

I have bought 3 new Curados in the past year and 2 have broke this year. I have always had good luck with them but not this year. They are both on the way to get repaired under warranty I hope. Just wondering if anyone has had any quality issues with newer Shimanos or is just me?
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 01:58 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The new Curado G's are known to be junk. Try to find someone with some E's leftover. Or buy a Chronarch E. (really just a white Curado)
Old 08-21-12, 02:00 PM   #3
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

I have had several people unhappy with the new Curado's. i even called my supplier and asked about it and he said there was nothing he could do. The old Curado's are the exact same reel they just say Chronarch on them now. I have sold 3 new G series in the store; 1 brought back and exchanged for a Smoke, 1 returned to be repaired, and one out there still ok I hope lol
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 04:49 PM   #4
skeeter1804

These are the Curado E7. I haven't had a reel go down on me in years, now 2 in less than one season. I guess I'm going to have to try some other brands out.

Last edited by skeeter1804; 08-21-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 06:50 PM   #5
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've had my E7 for a long while and no issues. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the G series. I scour the net everyday for E7's and E5's, but everyone who has them for sale has jacked the price way up. I'm looking to order a Lew's here soon and see how that goes. Thinking about slowly swapping all my reels out to them if I like them and they perform.

That's sad to hear about your E7's....
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 07:06 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My Revos and Pro Qualifyers are still going strong.
Old 08-21-12, 07:18 PM   #7
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Curious to what might have broke?

I bought a Citiga G and notice a noise when you engage it from free spool. Kind of a clunk sound. I sometimes get a bell like ring from it too. Servicing did little to dull the noise. Its not as smoooth as my Citica e series either. So I added the bearing under the crank shaft. It made just a bit of difference. It works fine and casts cranks(dt-10's) pretty well. Maybe some supertuning and adding more bearings like the Caenan would help?
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 09:23 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
These are the Curado E7. I haven't had a reel go down on me in years, now 2 in less than one season. I guess I'm going to have to try some other brands out.
That is most unusual indeed. If it was just one I'd swear it was a fluke, but two? All I can say I've been fishing 2 E models HARD for years without even a hiccup.
Old 08-21-12, 09:28 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
I've had my E7 for a long while and no issues. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the G series. I scour the net everyday for E7's and E5's, but everyone who has them for sale has jacked the price way up. I'm looking to order a Lew's here soon and see how that goes. Thinking about slowly swapping all my reels out to them if I like them and they perform.

That's sad to hear about your E7's....
I recently stumbled across a good deal on a Lew's Tourn Pro and a Speed Spool. After fishing them both for a couple of months I can't say that I regret it or that I'm selling them. I will say that they are simply not as smooth/fluid/forgiving as the Curado E's. Between the TP and the SS I think I enjoy casting the little SS better than the TP.
Old 08-21-12, 10:14 PM   #10
skeeter1804

Both of these reels started out with a click on retrieve that only happened once in a while and quickly progressed to a constant clicking that felt like the reel locking up. The third reel has worked great. They were all purchased last July. I have always liked the Curado so I hope I just got unlucky twice.
Old 08-21-12, 11:48 PM   #11
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I recently stumbled across a good deal on a Lew's Tourn Pro and a Speed Spool. After fishing them both for a couple of months I can't say that I regret it or that I'm selling them. I will say that they are simply not as smooth/fluid/forgiving as the Curado E's. Between the TP and the SS I think I enjoy casting the little SS better than the TP.
Thanks Ken for the feedback on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
Both of these reels started out with a click on retrieve that only happened once in a while and quickly progressed to a constant clicking that felt like the reel locking up. The third reel has worked great. They were all purchased last July. I have always liked the Curado so I hope I just got unlucky twice.
Skeeter- I hope so too man. I hope Shimano will cover it with their warranty! Good luck and let us know if you find out what caused this if you don't mind.
Old 08-22-12, 09:41 AM   #12
skeeter1804

I definately will.
Old 08-22-12, 11:01 AM   #13
pro reel

Is there a chance that you have used them in conditions where the worm gear could be getting dirty? The worm gear is in the tube that the line guide slides back and forth on. It's open to the elements and if it gets any sand or wind blown grit in it, it will do exactly what you described. It will start as a tick when the line guide pawl hits the grit in the tracks and then will progress to locking up when the grit gets packed in a groove crossover. I see lotd of folks driving down the road with rods in an open truck bed or straped to the deck of boats while driving down the road. Any windblown grit will get in the worm gear when reels are exposed like that.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 03:19 PM   #14
DVT Mike

The Curado is still very much the same reel with the same basic design and materials. Only a few minor upgrades seperate the Curado from the Chronarch (last yrs Curado). The assertion thst the new Curado is "junk" comes from mispercetion and misunderstanding of Shimanos marketing strategy as far as model names go. Bottom line is Curado is once again an affordable workhorse reel and the Chronarch is a little more refined version. This is just as it was with the B & D series.
Old 08-22-12, 07:24 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
The Curado is still very much the same reel with the same basic design and materials. Only a few minor upgrades seperate the Curado from the Chronarch (last yrs Curado). The assertion thst the new Curado is "junk" comes from mispercetion and misunderstanding of Shimanos marketing strategy as far as model names go. Bottom line is Curado is once again an affordable workhorse reel and the Chronarch is a little more refined version. This is just as it was with the B & D series.

Mike, I am confused by what you are saying. Are you making the statement that this years Curado, the Curado G ,is the Same reel, design and material as the Chronarch E. Or are you comparing the Curado E to the Chronarch E?
Old 08-22-12, 09:17 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Mike, I am confused by what you are saying. Are you making the statement that this years Curado, the Curado G ,is the Same reel, design and material as the Chronarch E. Or are you comparing the Curado E to the Chronarch E?
Me too. I'm certainly not a reel expert, but after reading countless reviews/blogs/specs etc, it seems very clear to me that the Curado G is simply a green citica. The Curado name has meant quality/value for many years....it seems Shimanos Marketing Strategy was to take advantage of that fact by painting the inferior citica green and jacking the price up.

What next? Paint the Symetre white......call it a Stradic......price at $199.?
Old 08-22-12, 09:36 PM   #17
USMCbassman

Quote:
Quote:
Me too. I'm certainly not a reel expert, but after reading countless reviews/blogs/specs etc, it seems very clear to me that the Curado G is simply a green citica. The Curado name has meant quality/value for many years....it seems Shimanos Marketing Strategy was to take advantage of that fact by painting the inferior citica green and jacking the price up.

I honestly can't say that I've read a positive thing about the G series. If I did it didn't make an impact on me!
Old 08-22-12, 09:42 PM   #18
skeeter1804

Pro reel, I cleaned the reel and oiled it without disassembling to much but anything is a possibility. I do put them in the back of my truck on the way to the lake but am never on gravel roads. Since you work on reels is there a certain reel or brand that stands out as better quality than others?
Old 08-22-12, 10:01 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:

Ken, I might be able to clear up a few things about the E series and G series Shimano reels.

The New G series reels are a new design, they are built on the same tooling as the Caenan but in aluminum. Where most of the negative comments come in to play is surronding the Curado E and the Chronarch G. The Chronarch G is basically the same reel as last year's Curado E. Some of the small differences are, the new Chronarch has a double anodized spool and handle, the brake disc was upgraded to a better material, it does however use a plastic drag star as compared to the Curado's aluminum.

Most people are upset because the G model is little more than last years Curado and is badged as a Chronarch.

The Citica also underwent a new design and is also built on an aluminum version of the Caenan frame.
There were other changes to the G model reels, but in my opinion most were fairly insignificant.
Old 08-22-12, 10:09 PM   #20
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Ken, I might be able to clear up a few things about the E series and G series Shimano reels.

The New G series reels are a new design, they are built on the same tooling as the Caenan but in aluminum. Where most of the negative comments come in to play is surronding the Curado E and the Chronarch G. The Chronarch G is basically the same reel as last year's Curado E. Some of the small differences are, the new Chronarch has a double anodized spool and handle, the brake disc was upgraded to a better material, it does however use a plastic drag star as compared to the Curado's aluminum.

Most people are upset because the G model is little more than last years Curado and is badged as a Chronarch.

The Citica also underwent a new design and is also built on an aluminum version of the Caenan frame.
There were other changes to the G model reels, but in my opinion most were fairly insignificant.
Thanks for the info T, again I'm not a reel guru, just a fisherman that's partial to Shimano stuff. If what you're telling me is the truth (and why wouldn't it be) then what happened to last years Chronarch? gone? Morphed into something else? Color change and price increase? And I'm certain I've read posts by more informed(seemingly) guys than myself that were pretty outspoken about the whole "green paint on a citca deal"
Old 08-22-12, 10:24 PM   #21
pro reel

Skeeter, every brand of reel there is and every model of reel that is made by each brand can and does have several that have problems occur. There is no such thing as a bullet proof brand. Many shimano lovers like to claim that there reels have never failed them. many Daiwa, Abu, Pfluger and on and on owners like to claim the same thing. The fact is that every one of these companies have a very large and busy warranty center, and a very busy parts sales for after warranty care and repair. They are machines and machines break and wear out. Having worked on a lot of reels from every major brand, i can say with the utmost confidence, they all make some very good reels and they all make some duds and they all have some weak areas that could have been designed better. With that being said, your E series curados are normally very good reels. Yes, I have seen several that had small issues where there was a factory defect such as a spring not installed correctly or a pawl that should have had one more spacer to eliminate slop that leads to increased wear. But 99% of all problems I see in most of the mid level to high end reels from every brand is usually a direct result of normal wear and tear or a lack of a care. Part of the problem is that none of the major brands have done a good job of letting the customer know just how much care these reels actually need. I'm sorry to say it, but if you ever drove down the highway or even a residential black top road with those reels laying in the back of the truck and if those reels were not in a sealed tight reel case, then they got wind blown grit on them and in the worm gear. That worm gear has grease on it and grease is a magnet for any grit that gets close to it. Even the cleanest truck there is will still have a fine layer of dust inside the bed. Then there is all the dust in the air. If you have to drive with reels in an open area, put them in in sealed reel covers or make youyr own with clean trash bags. A small drawstring bag will enclose the handle and the reel snugly. One thing I like to tell my customers is that they should treat there reels with the same exact care they would treat a high end firearm. Keep them clean and oiled. Don't get them wet or if they do get wet clean them and re oil them after every use, and don't let them get dirty.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 10:26 PM   #22
Tavery5

The Chronarch of the past is no more. In my opinion it was one of the best reels Shimano had, now to get a reel that was similar to the performance and design of the old Chronarch, you would have to purchase a Core.
Old 08-22-12, 10:29 PM   #23
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I wish Shimano would do a throwback run of the D-series (the silver series). I haven't bought a G and really don't plan on it. I still have B series reals that are at least 15 years old. Tough to talk bad about that.
Old 08-22-12, 10:33 PM   #24
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I wish Shimano would do a throwback run of the D-series (the silver series). I haven't bought a G and really don't plan on it. I still have B series reals that are at least 15 years old. Tough to talk bad about that.

The B-series Chronarch was heavy but a beautiful reel that performed great.
Old 08-22-12, 10:37 PM   #25
kennethdaysale

I wonder if it would be feasable (or profitable) for someone to do complete frame-off (for lack of a better word) restoration/retrofit of some of those old classic reels.......Bantams etc? I'd prob pay a fair price for some of those old smooth as silk-tough as nails classics. Reckon someone could find enough of them and the neccesary parts to make it happen?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.