Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 06-24-13, 01:12 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wink So you only use one brand of tackle?

This link might irritate you, but it also might open your eyes.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/...brand-loyalty/
Old 06-24-13, 07:41 AM   #2
keithdog

I don't know what to think about this. While I am sure this does exist to a point, I don't seem to be Fanboy. Example, I recently purchased a new grill. My last grill was made by Kenmore. But I WAS going to buy a Charbroil this time around because my previous grill before the Kenmore was a Charbroil and lasted 3 years longer that the Kenmore. But after research and reading consumer reports, I made the decision to purchase a Weber this time around. If you look at the appliances in my house, you will find multiple brands, as well as with my fishing rods and reels. I mainly choose based on my needs, experiences, price, and products reputation, along with suggestions.
Old 06-24-13, 10:39 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

HOGWASH!

The TRUTH: You prefer the things you own over the things you don’t because you made rational choices when we bought them.

The Bull Crap: You prefer the things you own because you rationalize your past choices to protect your sense of self.

Fixed it for him. "Protect your sense of self"? WTF does that infer? More liberal crap telling us we can't make a decision based on fact or our own experience? That we are incapable of making an informed decision? What right does some idiot scribe have saying consumers are mindless herd animals that can't decide for themselves what they want to spend their money on? That we are reduced to justifying or defending our choices so we feel comfortable about the goods we own?

Brand loyalty is what it is. When someone asks for advice when contemplating a purchase, it is rational to expect replies form individuals with input based on their experience and/or preference. That's how we learn, advice does not have to be taken and turned into a stampede to the local Ford (insert any brand you choose) dealer. Information is essential for making a choice, but the choice IS always that of the individual - OTHERWISE I'D BE DRIVING A FORD (guess what? I'm not).

HOGWASH!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 06:22 PM   #4
nobass

i buy on need not brand. i do however buy quailty. i always say you get want you pay for. i have found that fishing with a middle range rod or i high end rod . makes little or no differnece to the fish. same with baits just becuase some pro tells you that one brand is better at catching fish than the other don't make it so. it's knowledge on want you are using not price or high end name.
Old 06-24-13, 06:50 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I do somewhat agree with this. It seems to be most prevalent in items that people are pasionate about. I don't care what model of household appliances I have, as long as they work. I do have definate preferences of items I'm fond of such as guns and tackle. That fondness isn't absolutly tied to knowing that they are better than other brands. Working on reels has given me an insight into the fact that most brands build some good reels and some not so good reels. I have personally seen the fanboy mentality push certain brands to the point of near perfection. This isn't backed up by any kind of facts that i have seen as all brands wear out and need parts replaced. I often think that some folks negative to positive experiences with one brand over another is not because there was a quality difference but becuase the owner treated the reels better when they believed them to be of higher quality and they felt better about owning them so they just took better care of them. I know for a fact that there are several low end reels that are just as capable of lasting a lifetime with some care as any of the high end reels and i also see high end reels that have worn or broken parts in a short time period. When I see coments about certain brands that are suposedly bullet proof, i wonder why they need a warranty and parts dept and why i have to purchase so many parts from them. hmmmmmm.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 08:19 PM   #6
nofearengineer

We all do it to some extent, some more than others. And that's not to say that every brand we are somewhat loyal to is because of fanboyism.

I am at least a little fanboy'ed on St. Croix. Not in final results, but I do tend to look to them first if I'm considering a new rod.

As for cars...

Take Dodge/Ram...my last 4 vehicles have been from them. Fanboy? Nope. I would probably say Ford is the best-engineered vehicle. But to me, the styling of my Ram made up for it.

And then there's also "anti" fanboyism. I really do like PC's. I appreciate their non-proprietary nature. I honestly have nothing against Apple products. But I have to say, I despise the "more hip than you" vibe I get off of Apple fanboys. So I will probably never own an iphone.

Now that I've gotten back into aquariums again, I'm discovering, GUESS WHAT?!?! There's a "ooooohhhh, gotta have it" brand there too. Everybody with an aquarium seems to lust after ADA glass tanks. And wouldn't you know it? There the most expensive too.

So it's the same in every hobby.
Old 06-24-13, 10:15 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
I would probably say Ford is the best-engineered vehicle.
You're nutz, Volvo is the best engineered vehicle.

Quote:
I am at least a little fanboy'ed on St. Croix.
I don't buy that either. By the author's definition of fanboy you would be defending your preference for St Croix in order to protect your sense of self, in justification of your purchase. I don't think that is the case, but rather your preference is based on your experience with use of the product, ie (the author's myth) you made a rational choice in a previous purchase and returned to the product based on that experience - that does not make you a fanboy. I'm sure if someone asked your opinion of various rods, St Croix would probably get mentioned - but that doesn't make you a fanboy. Now, if you look down your nose at those that don't use St Croix - you might be a fanboy.

Just to cover my butt I will stipulate (legal jargon) that fanboys (and fangirls) do exist. But I also find them extremely easy to identify and disregard most everything they say because they are not objective. The worst - and you are free to disagree - are those hawking SPONSORS products. Most of them, while speaking some truth, are less enamored with the product than in the Sponsor's money. But fanpersons are out there haunting internet forums spouting a lot of useless hype, thankfully not many show up here.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-24-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 05:28 PM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You're nutz, Volvo is the best engineered vehicle.
I build Volvos for a living.
Old 06-25-13, 07:18 PM   #9
bassboogieman

Quote:
I rest my case...
Old 06-26-13, 07:07 PM   #10
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I rest my case...
But you know you want one.
Old 06-27-13, 02:10 PM   #11
bamabassman

SON!!!! BOOGIESMAN....DON'T BE DISSIN MY FAVS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! you KNOW you tried the helicopter a few times now didn't you? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

in truth, i AM a "fanboy" or whatever you want to call it. and it IS based on what produced for ME. hhmmm....maybe THAT is why i only catch DINKS when i DO catch a fish? hhhhmmmmm............lol!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.