Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-05, 08:15 PM   #1
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Question For Fly-Fishers

Seeing as I am new to fly fishin, hell I just learned how to cast properly after 1 year or so, I figured I would take her out to the resivoir next time. Here is my question- What types of Flies work well on bass? How do I present it? What depth is appropriate(sp?)? Also, how close to the banks should I work them?? If anyone has any trout fly fishin info, I would also be interested in that. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-05, 10:07 PM   #2
Garrison
BassFishin.Com Member

Some flys that are productive for me are the gummy minnow, yellow bass popper, deer hair mouse, and crayfish imitators. Using the gummy minnow, or any streamer type fly, you need to place several tiny split shot in intervals along the tippet. Just cast out and do short strips back to you. The poppers, just cast out near cover and pop it along. Plain and simple. The crayfish imitators, you just add small split shot to get it near the bottom and jerk it along the bottom. You may need a strike indicator depending on the depth. These are just some techniques and flies that I use for bass. As far as trout, a dry fly known as Adams is a great start. It imitates many species of mayflies. Nymphs such as gold ribbed hares ear and pheasant tail are good. Use a strike indicators with those. Trout need a smaller tippet b/c they are somewhat line shy. A 4X or 5X tippet will be good. Hope this helps.
Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 03:46 PM   #3
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

wow thank you for the input.
Old 08-24-05, 02:23 PM   #4
Garrison
BassFishin.Com Member

Your welcome. If you need anymore info, let me know.
Old 08-24-05, 07:30 PM   #5
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Love the deer hair mouse and frog. Also some of the bigger streamers. My son and I tie our own and use a lot of black, blue and red. Also use the Gold beads on the hooks to get down, we find it feels better than using split shots, Although many use the split shots. I can't cast as well with them, but my son uses them at certain times. He smoked me yesterday, his 28 bass, to my one. Not only does he learn well, his teacher is top notch : 0
Where in Jersey do you live. We are in Berkeley Heights
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.