Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-24-09, 10:04 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Best speed reel for any and all crankbaits.

Hey gang, I am at my mom and pops for christmas dinner. My nephew (haydenbasskid) is wondering what is the best overall speed on a reel for any and all crankbaits.
He is getting a new reel for christmas and is hoping he got the right gear ratio. So let us know what ya'll's opinion is.
Old 12-24-09, 10:33 PM   #2
nofearengineer

A baitcaster with a ratio around 6.2:1-6.4:1 will do all jobs...maybe not perfectly, but acceptably. Most reels with a ratio like this will have an inches per turn, or "speed" of around 27".

If you want to do the deeper cranks, maybe go with a 5.4:1, but you might have to really gas it on retrieves you want to be faster, because your inches per turn will usually be considerably lower. I have a 4.6:1 baitcaster, and when I want to retrieve something fast, it's a real challenge.
Old 12-24-09, 11:07 PM   #3
keithdog

If I had to pick one retrieve ratio for all crankbaits, I'd have to go with a reel that retrieve between 23 and 25 inches which depending on brand and model, could be anywhere from 5.2:1 to 5.4:1. For many years I used Garcia Abu C3 casting reels with a 5.3:1 ratio which retrieved 25 inches of line per turn of the crank. I found this to be a great all around reel for crankbaits. This fall, I bought a Rick Clunn baitcaster which retrieves line at 23 inches per turn of the crank with the 5.4:1 ratio and I really like that! But were talking "all around", so specific needs may not be at optimum depending on what you want your lure to do.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 12:07 AM   #4
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I crank with a Rick Clunn 08 model with the ITB brakes, 5.4:1 gear ratio, I have been happy with it for all crankbaits. Like Keith said the 23 inches I have found perfect for the overall average cranking job!

Ryan
Old 12-25-09, 12:19 AM   #5
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have been settling with a 6.3 to 1 citica for too long, I just think it is too fast for deep cranks. I feel that a 5.4 (about 25 inches per turn) would be the perfect mach for all but the dd22's and such.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 07:28 AM   #6
Bassboss

I would think 5:4:1 would be a good over all! Maybe a little slower like 5.0:1 though.

Merry Christmas John!
Old 12-25-09, 09:57 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Like I've said before, it's not all about gear ratio. Abut 5.4:1 will work good for pretty much anything.

Check out these examples that show gear ratio isn't always the deciding factor.

Reel - Gear Ratio - Line per handle turn

Daiwa Zillion CC - 4.9:1 - 22"
Daiwa Zillion - 6.3:2 - 28" (normal for a 6._:1 reel)
Abu SKT Revo - 6.4:1 - 24" (see how close to a slow speed reel it is)
Abu Winch - 5.4:1 - 21"

BB
Old 12-25-09, 11:37 AM   #8
bassboogieman

I like my Pflueger Asaro's for cranks other than lipless. Ratio of 6.4:1 with a 25" recovery per handle turn (reg. spool). Lipless, I like a Pflueger Summit with a 7.1:1 @ 27".
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 11:54 AM   #9
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have an 1992ish Quantum with a ratio of 4.3:1 on an equally old Fenwick fiberglass rod that I use for deep divers. The slow reel speed is nice when digging a crank into the lake bottom.

I've started to lean toward fast reels for everything now because of the advantages in taking up line to set the hook and keeping a tight line when fighting fish. One of the lures where I think a fast reel is most effective is a lipless crankbait. With a fast reel, you can put a lot of action into that lure with very quick, quarter- and half-turns of the handle. You can trigger strikes from followers this way.

That said, one reels speed for any and all cranks? Go with versatility in the middle of the range... 6:1
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 12:09 PM   #10
bamabassman

Thank you gang. I told him the same things most of you have written. He doesn't know too much about how to ask on the boards and i was showing him how as well. The inches per turn AND the gear ratio is what i am trying to get him to really look at. He and i both agree that a good 5.4:1 or similier is best. So lets hope he reads this soon so he can decide which to look for. Hopefully he will also come online more often too. lol.
Old 01-01-10, 09:52 AM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Thank you gang. I told him the same things most of you have written. He doesn't know too much about how to ask on the boards and i was showing him how as well. The inches per turn AND the gear ratio is what i am trying to get him to really look at. He and i both agree that a good 5.4:1 or similier is best. So lets hope he reads this soon so he can decide which to look for. Hopefully he will also come online more often too. lol.
So any news on what you got?
Old 01-01-10, 10:17 AM   #12
bamabassman

None so far boss, i think he is looking and reading up so he doesn't make a mistake on his purchase. Which is great in my opion. learn as much as you can so you are COMPLETLY satisfied ya know? I'll let you now what he gets if he doesn't.
Old 01-01-10, 01:12 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
i think he is looking and reading up so he doesn't make a mistake on his purchase. Which is great in my opion. learn as much as you can so you are COMPLETLY satisfied ya know?
Ahhhh...that is great to hear. Research is super important if you're on a budget (like most people). You might still get something not exactly perfect, but it's gonna be really close to what you need.
Old 01-01-10, 01:17 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
None so far boss, i think he is looking and reading up so he doesn't make a mistake on his purchase. Which is great in my opion. learn as much as you can so you are COMPLETLY satisfied ya know? I'll let you now what he gets if he doesn't.
Ya, I can agree for sure! I do the samething. Do you know if he's check this thread out yet?
Old 01-02-10, 06:03 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Like I've said before, it's not all about gear ratio. Abut 5.4:1 will work good for pretty much anything.

Check out these examples that show gear ratio isn't always the deciding factor.

Reel - Gear Ratio - Line per handle turn

Daiwa Zillion CC - 4.9:1 - 22"
Daiwa Zillion - 6.3:2 - 28" (normal for a 6._:1 reel)
Abu SKT Revo - 6.4:1 - 24" (see how close to a slow speed reel it is)
Abu Winch - 5.4:1 - 21"

BB

Yep, the new BPS Pro Qualifier 5.2:1 is 29" per turn. The '09 7.1:1 version is also 29" per turn
Old 01-02-10, 06:48 PM   #16
bamabassman

hey gang, yes he has read this. he hasn't bought a reel just yet. he has trouble spending the money right now. i got me a SCROOGE here, lol. he is waiting for some sales to hit before he makes a deal. he IS gonna get a winch i think. that is what he told me today. he is here with his dad tonight, we are gonna eat some fish and chicken and watch the game tonight. thank you guys...i REALLY appreciate all of oyur input on this. he reads the threads, he is just shy. NOT AT ALL LIKE ME, HAHAHAHAHA.
Old 01-14-10, 10:24 AM   #17
autigersupG3
BassFishin.Com Member

bassman,

I fish a 5:1 on my crank baits (6.2) on the others....does he want an expensive reel or just a good real....I've fished ABU-Garcia's, Daiwa's, Shimano's, Pluegers, Zebco's, and a few I can't think of over my 59 years on GOD'S creation....for the money the Shimano Curado has been well worth buying....
autigersupG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 10:50 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

bama, I think he made a good choice with the winch. That would be my 2nd choice for a cranking reel. Definately a good reel, and can cast some fairly light cranks.

BB

Oh yeah, I'll watch the guy from ebay that I got my revo from. He's got some great deals on Abu reels. Just hasn't been putting much up lately.
Old 01-14-10, 02:30 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

The Winch is a great choice. That is what I have on all of my crankbait rods and these babies flat out perform. He will love his I am sure.
Old 01-14-10, 03:46 PM   #20
Bob Smith

4.7 or 4.8:1 for most cranks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.