Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-11, 05:55 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Line Conditioner...Pro or Con

I'm a die hard line conditioner user! I fish Parallelium Fluorohybrid, braid, fluorocarbon in that order. So question(s)! Lets start with the science behind use. Used originally on Flourocarbon lines to soften ect. Now flouro is non obsorbent line and I believe so is co-ply. So how dose it soften said lines. Now if your a believer, what do you use and why, Bass Pro, Reel Magic, Ardent reel butter, KVD or some other?.... Remember Why!.... Thanks in advance for all your help!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 08:22 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

Hey JD I'm not a chemist and can't speak to the science, however I have been using Blakemores stuff for years and most recently the KVD, all I know(think?) is that I seem to get longer smoother casts regardless of reel types.....get fewer loops on spinning reels and just an overall sense of improved line performance. I also spray it on my rod guides during the course of a trip and spray it on my line/spool during respooling. It's one of those things I suppose that definately doesn't hurt and if I think it helps then it's worth a few dollars.
Old 09-18-11, 08:59 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use KVD, and the reson why is it doesn't harm my rels and makes ALL lines i use more limp and preserves them longer. tried REEL MAGIC, it is ok, but not as good as KVD in my opion.
Old 09-18-11, 09:13 AM   #4
keithdog

I've been using KVD conditioner for two years now and once the currant bottle is done, I may not continue. I havn't really noticed much of an improvment with casting distance or line performance. The only exception "may" be with my braided lines. But it's not made that much of a difference there either. I know a lot of guys swear by the stuff, and thats cool. I just don't notice much difference.
Old 09-18-11, 09:29 AM   #5
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There is a significant difference IMO. I use the Clever Innovations (KVD) salt water formula, even though I am a freshwater guy 99% of the time. It works the same according to the mfg., but has a little more corrosion resistance--so what the heck--I use that formulation. I use it on all types of line, and reels. The least difference I see is on braid, which of course is already limp as heck....My reels run smoother, and the line definitely has less friction, which reduces looping and tangling, and gives me longer smoother casts. I am huge believer. I really think if someone does a side by side comparison, there is a very noticeable difference.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 10:28 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I started with KVD L&L and have had no reason to switch. It does work on FC and Mono. I've never used it on braid though, as I don't see a reason to.

I've heard some people say it discolors your line, but I haven't noticed this at all.

BB
Old 09-18-11, 10:32 AM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

@KVD users...Does the KVD discolor your line like Kevin said in his newsletter? I have never used conditioner, but I am thinking of starting, so 4 to 1, for it, I anxiously wait...
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 12:29 PM   #8
Jrob78

I'm a big fan of KVD, I spray it on my line the night before a trip and it greatly reduces memory. As for discoloring line, I don't know, I think fishing in off colored water full of algae and vegetation discolors your line. I don't fish fluorocarbon so I don't really care one way or the other if my line is slightly discolored.
Old 09-18-11, 03:30 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I started with KVD L&L and have had no reason to switch. It does work on FC and Mono. I've never used it on braid though, as I don't see a reason to.

I've heard some people say it discolors your line, but I haven't noticed this at all.

BB
Same here.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 04:24 PM   #10
Fish30114

Haven't notice any line discoloration with the Line and Lure (KVD) conditioner, regardless of type of line, and I use them all.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 08:32 PM   #11
Tavery5

I believe KVD L&L makes a big difference in both casting distance and line management. I have used it for a few years and have not noticed any problems with line discoloring.
Old 09-19-11, 09:24 AM   #12
Bill M

I use it, less friction and on spinning reels less looping and longer casts that are needed in some of the northern super clear waters.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 10:46 AM   #13
joedog

Back to the science; If Flourocarbon is a non-absorbent line how dose the line absorb the benefits of the conditioner? I use real magic (but now hear it deteriates your line over time, I've never noticed any but I spool on line probably twice a season ), I've used all but Ardent reel butter including XPS Line Saver from bass pro (features fish attractant). I really can't tell a difference between any of them, but I do know they work and I would never go with out! So can anyone tell me how they work or what are they doing to the line to make less memory, castability ect.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 11:06 AM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Back to the science; If Flourocarbon is a non-absorbent line how dose the line absorb the benefits of the conditioner? I use real magic (but now hear it deteriates your line over time, I've never noticed any but I spool on line probably twice a season ), I've used all but Ardent reel butter including XPS Line Saver from bass pro (features fish attractant). I really can't tell a difference between any of them, but I do know they work and I would never go with out! So can anyone tell me how they work or what are they doing to the line to make less memory, castability ect.
I have no idea what the science is behind it. I can tell you that Ardent Reel Butter is super slick. I bought dad some for Christmas last year as a last minute gift when I was walking through Academy and seen it. I wish I would have bought him KVD Line and Lure while I bought the rest of his stuff at Bass Pro because the Reel Butter was so greasy that it made a mess and made casting very dificult.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 01:46 PM   #15
Bill M

Well, as a Toolmaker for over 30 years we are given the BS fom engineers about how something should work, well I cant count the times they are wrong, so is the science behind the line absorbent correct? Maybe not.
Old 09-19-11, 02:52 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Fluorocarbon is not 100% non-absorbent. It is LESS absorbent than nylon lines. Tackle Tour proved this fact with the many tests done in their FC shootout. Many tests we performed on both dry FC, and FC that had been soaked for various amounts of time. If it were 100% non-absorbent, the results for stretch, tensile strength, etc. should be the same for dry and soaked lines. However, they are not.

KVD Line & Lure is a water based product. I can't tell you exactly how it works, but I could propose a theory that the product doesn't have to be absorbed to do it's job (and it unquestionably does this job, IMO). Let's say the KVD L&L works by affecting only the surface of the line. If that was the case, then even a completely non-absorbent material would be affected.

Like I said, I really don't have a clue how it works. I was just posing a possibility as to why it works as well on less absorbent FC as it does on nylon monos.

BB
Old 09-19-11, 03:15 PM   #17
Bill M

BB, that to me makes sense, think you got it
Old 09-19-11, 03:17 PM   #18
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Used it once, never saw a change, never used it again.

I use a separate reel lube, but never had or needed something for the line itself.

Last edited by screwballl; 09-19-11 at 03:23 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 07:17 PM   #19
Crankbait

Default reel magic

I have recently been fishing saltwater and had to pick up a spinning reel. Also started using power pro instead of my preferred sufix performance braid. I was getting terrible wind knots......doing a lot of skipping under mangroves and started to use reel magic with some very impressive results. My wind knots dropped to almost zero. I can’t say whether it improved distance but I became a firm believer in the product. I spray my reels the night before I go out for best results.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:40 PM   #20
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Fluorocarbon is not 100% non-absorbent. It is LESS absorbent than nylon lines. Tackle Tour proved this fact with the many tests done in their FC shootout. Many tests we performed on both dry FC, and FC that had been soaked for various amounts of time. If it were 100% non-absorbent, the results for stretch, tensile strength, etc. should be the same for dry and soaked lines. However, they are not.

KVD Line & Lure is a water based product. I can't tell you exactly how it works, but I could propose a theory that the product doesn't have to be absorbed to do it's job (and it unquestionably does this job, IMO). Let's say the KVD L&L works by affecting only the surface of the line. If that was the case, then even a completely non-absorbent material would be affected.

Like I said, I really don't have a clue how it works. I was just posing a possibility as to why it works as well on less absorbent FC as it does on nylon monos.

BB
with this logic wouldn't it work the most affective on braid if that was the case? since braid would absorb the most compared to other lines, yet people always say that using line conditioner on braid have little to no affect. i always thought that line conditioners are a gimmick but i've heard nothing but good things about kvd's conditioner.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 09:42 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Like I said, I really don't know the science behind it, but I do know that works for me. If you haven't tried it, I would highly suggest giving KVD L&L a try. Now I find it does help more on lines that are stiffer and have more memory.

Here's why I don't use it on braid: most good braids are already soft and supple. Sometimes even too much so. I actually like a braid with a little bit of body to it. It doesn't tangle on guides or in the wind as easily. Braid virtually eliminates the problems I use line conditioner to fix: stiffness and memory.

Another possible benefit of using line conditioner may be improved knot strength. Generally, more supple lines tie and hold knots better than very stiff ones. This is especially true with FC and very evident in Seaguar's InvisX. It is one of the softest FCs I've used and is one of the best as far as knot strength goes too. So making line more supple and manageable, line conditioner should in theory increase knot strength as well.

BB
Old 09-29-11, 09:35 AM   #22
DVT Mike

My understanding of the KVD product is that it is a polymer that coats the line as opposed to being absorbed. Reel Magic is just silicone like WD-40 and contains petroleum distilates to make it sprayable. This does actually slightly degrade the line in the process of softening it. When you see the rainbow slick left on the water it leaves on the water you think it can't be good for the environment either.
Old 10-01-11, 04:21 AM   #23
IowaBasser

Here's some speculation from someone who's never used line condiotioner.

I'm guessing line conditioner reduces the friction coeffiecient of line... (basically making it more slippery) ...That would explain how a conditioner would work by coating the line and not being absorbed. It would explain the longer casts (less friction against reel parts and rod eyes.) ...and wind knots would slip out before becoming a knot.

I'm not sure how that makes a line limper? I generally don't have line problems (I'm a spinning reel guy) ...though improved casting distance is intriguing, especially with some of the ultra light lures I throw for small mouth.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 08:50 AM   #24
Mac2

Default Armor All

I soak a small patch of rag and fold it over my line. mono, and reel it in. coating the line. It cleans the line and lubricates at the same time. A couple times a summer is sufficient.
Old 10-01-11, 09:24 AM   #25
bassboogieman

Quote:
well, as a toolmaker for over 30 years we are given the bs fom engineers about how something should work, well i cant count the times they are wrong,

HOLY CRAP, NFE IS GOONA HAVE ONE HUGE HISSY FIT. .

And - I can hardly contain my antipation of the ensuing response from Bryce. I'd call him, but I know I could not get in a coherent word due to the excessive, uncontrolable laughter......... maybe later if I can gain some sembelance of control.............

ROTFLMFAO&PMP
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.