Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-11, 07:49 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default This is a Thread...

...About something Seaguar Fluorocarbon fans are already aware of and something those who have had bad experiences with FC should see.

FCs are NOT created equal. And when someone picks one of the "bad" ones that has a lot of memory or is very stiff (those two usually go together), it kinda leaves a bad taste in their mouth. I have a buddy who absolutely refuses to use FC, and one who almost swore off it after using the steel-wire-like Trilene 100% Fluoro.

Anyways, After my 2yr old Seaguar InvisX snapped in one of Those backlashes last time I was fishing, I decided to respool it today. By the way, if not for that break, I don't doubt that that Seaguar InvisX would've lasted me through its third season.

So I pull out my spool of backup 12lb Seaguar InvisX that has been sitting in my garage fishing cabinet since I bought it at TW's Bass Master Classic sale... LAST YEAR'S Bass Master Classic sale.

I strip the old line off the reel, open up the box and pull half a dozen feet off the spool only to find that it's still as limp and memory free as a brand new spool. And it's been sitting for a year. I know it's not a great pic, but here is one to show you what it looks like. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was a brand new, high end mono. But rest assured, it's FC.

BB

P.S. I'm not associated with Seaguar in any way. I just believe in their products and will continue to buy and recommend them.
Old 04-29-11, 08:04 PM   #2
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

I tried last week a new floro. that happen to be invizx and I couldnt agree with you more. That line is great. You get what you pay for, and its strong too. I have been using p-line floroclear and I like it but its not near as strong or senative as invizx.
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 09:20 PM   #3
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thats crazy...especially for a FC!!!
Old 04-29-11, 09:37 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Yep, and the line I was fishing with wasn't much different, even though it had been on a reel for 2 years, without KVD L&L for probably over half of last season and all winter.

BB
Old 04-29-11, 09:53 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Yep, that is one of the several reasons I use Seaguar.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 10:49 PM   #6
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

never used fc. does it need replacing every season like mono?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 11:52 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
I have been using flourocarbon for several years, and Seaguar from day 1. In my experience you don't need to replace it as often as mono. My experience with Seaguar has been that you will need to replace it because the reel is low on line from re-ties and such long before then line actually goes bad.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 12:05 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I have been using flourocarbon for several years, and Seaguar from day 1. In my experience you don't need to replace it as often as mono. My experience with Seaguar has been that you will need to replace it because the reel is low on line from re-ties and such long before then line actually goes bad.
Kory is right. I usually run out, or like I mentioned above, break it in a backlash before it goes bad. I think this FC could have easily lasted me a third season. Snapping FC off, inside a tangled backlash can be a problem though. Mono is much less likely to do this. It's just the nature of the beast.

BB
Old 04-30-11, 12:33 AM   #9
islandbass

BB,

Thanks for saying this, as I have always tried to point out the same thing that not all FC lines are equal.

I always get a chuckle and simultaneously feel bad for folks whose first FC line was something like vanish and then sign off that other FC lines will behave the same way.

I am not surprised at your findings. It's just another testament to the quality line Sea Guar puts out. So from one Invizx fan to other, well written.

For the budget minded, and as much as I love Invizx, Cabela's No Viz line as very close to Invizx and I believe that it is also made by Sea Guar. It is a decent choice for the budget minded and it runs about $10.00 for the 200 yard filler spool in 6# test.

I buy Invizx when I can find a good deal on it or use No Viz from Cabelas.
Old 04-30-11, 02:22 PM   #10
boloson

will line conditioner drastically change its stiffness?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 05:40 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Line conditioner does help, and I find it is necessary for MOST fluorocarbons. However, I'll be fishing this InvisX for a while as a test before adding any KVD L&L to it. I do however usually put it on all my non-braided lines out of habit. It's easier to just spray them all then selectively spray them.

BB
Old 05-01-11, 02:46 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Just to be a jerk, I will point out that while your photo does show no coiling, it could also do that if it was super stiff.
Old 05-01-11, 02:55 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Just to be a jerk, I will point out that while your photo does show no coiling, it could also do that if it was super stiff.
I knew as soon as I saw you had commented, it was going to be a smart @ss comment! So, if it WAS super stiff, it would be in the shape of the spool it just came off of, not fairly straight unless I zoomed in really close, which you can tell I didn't.

So take that Bryce!

BB
Old 05-09-11, 08:57 AM   #14
james86

My first try was vanish and I havent used FC since.
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 01:04 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

I use 20 lb Seaguar only as a fly leader. It sinks and creates an easy "PLOOP" when throwing big hair bugs. I also use a short leader. So a 100 yard leader spool lasts a many years.

I also use it on flounder rigs and mackeral rigs.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.