Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-11, 01:03 AM   #1
Pa_Photo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help Me Pick A REEL

I was all set on a spinning real, and still will pick one up for trout but the more I read the more I hear that baitcasters are the way to go. I am just now getting back into fishing after a 12 year break. (work work work, no time for play) I used to love my baitcasters but was in fear of being too out of practice to use them.

I love to fish plastic worms texas rigged, and spinner baits but plan on learning it all now that I have promised myself to start working less and living more.

I want to get a good quality reel, then pick the rod and line to match. I also know one set up will not do it all, and will end up being one of many.

I hope to stay under $200.00 and can use L or R retrieve, used to have LH but do not want to limit myself to that and sacrifice better reel choices.
I figure this will be a good time to decide which retrieve I want L or R because its been so long, I know I like to cast using my R hand and thumb, so maybe LH retrieve is the better choice.

The only place with in a couple hours of me to look at reels is a Walmart, so have no choice but to order online.
Any advice?
Pa_Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 04:59 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, it would be best to purchase a left hand retrieve if your right handed and cast right handed. That being said, I'm right handed and I once owned a left hand retrieve. I sold it after two years because I simply could not get used to the awkward feeling of retrieveing left handed. So that is really a personal thing. As for a reel, I have two recommendations for you. The Garcia SX Revo for $170.00 is a great reel in that price range. A great reel compared to any price range really. I have been using my Revo SX for 3 years now and it still performs like new. Now another recommendation I have for you is a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier reel. This reel will only set you back $100.00 and is IMHO the best bang for the bucks reel out there. It's a well made, very smooth casting reel! I own 3 PQ's and love them. I've yet to have a back lash on either of them and they cast like a dream. And at $100.00 it will give you more money to invest in a better rod which I believe is the most important part of the rod/reel combo. And lastly, welcome to the site!
Old 04-30-11, 05:16 AM   #3
keithdog

One more thing I would like to add. The Pro Qualifier reel is available in 4 different gear ratios which makes it very easy to pick one or more to apply to various techniques that you prefer to use. All the way from the slow 4.7:1 for large cranks to the 7:1 burner.
Old 04-30-11, 06:41 AM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am gonna echo keithfog on this one. Pro Qualifier is a great reel and you can save some money. Dont fall for the Shimano mind tricks... soon enough there will be someone on here telling you to buy a shimano... RESIST! And since it is your "do-all" rod... I would say go for something in the 6.3:1 ratio. You may even wanna step up to a Johnny Morris Signature or the Pro Qualifier Tournament model to get something lighter.

Im gonna go a step farther here and make a rod recommendation. Since it will be your one and only rod for a while you need to make it versatile. I would say you should get a 6'6" - 7' MH fast action rod. Focus on sensitivity. This will allow you to do pretty much anything, you just have to remember to baby the fish when using treble hooks. When you build your collection, this setup can be your dedicated Texas Rig rod.

For line, you may want to look at Flourocarbon or Mono. Either way 12lb test is a good all around line to go with. Just remember that Mono still has its place in todays society of FC users. Topwater works better with mono, and with a fast action rod, the mono will allow some give when using crankbaits.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 09:24 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Dont fall for the Shimano mind tricks...
That's Quote of the Month material right there!

Like the others said, if you're right handed, go with LH reels. I'm also RHed and fish LH reels.

Now I must say, I'm a Daiwa reel fan. However I just realized there isn't a decent reel around $200 to even recommend. There's the Aggrest, but that's one of Daiwa's few turds... Other than that, they've discontinued all the reels in that price range, leaving a gap between the $160 Advantage and the now $290 Zillion... No Viento, no Fuego, no Sol; all of which I own and would recommend.

You should be able to find used ones (although Sols are getting tough to find, as are LH Fuegos) in your price range. However, the Fuego isn't the best at throwing lighter lures. The Sol specializes in throwing lighter lures and the Viento is a good all around, although arguably not quite worth it's $200 price tag (luckily, they're much cheaper used and you can pick up a good condition one for around $100). It is actually the reel I use for texas rigs and the occasional spinnerbait. If you can find a used Zillion for around $200, go for it. They're great reels, they've just gotten expensive lately.

Now, there are a few other reels out there to consider. Abu Garcia Revo SX, or STX. The Pflueger Patriarch. Even some of the BPS reels. The Pro Qualifier was a pleasant surprise for me. While it's no Revo STX or Daiwa Zillion, it performs well for a $100 reel. There are also the new Lew's reels to look at. And as much as I hate to say it, there's always the Shimano Curado... However, I'd look for a good deal on a Chronarch before I'd buy a Curado.

BB
Old 04-30-11, 11:17 AM   #6
Bassboss

I hate suggesting reels I've never used but, I think my next reel will be a Lew's. I haven't decided on weather or not to get the tourn. speed spool, or torn. pro speed spool. Which ever one I get I'm sure it'll be a nice reel. My budget at the time will dictate the one I get. Tavery, a member on this board, really like 'em and he's been a long time Abu garcia fan. And if I remember correctly he's switching to Lew's (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!!). One thing I really like about them is the fact that they have a duel breaking system. It combines Centrifugal breaking with Magnetic breaking, so backlashes are a thing of the past (amusing you know how to set the breaks). This will be my Plastic/Jig rod. I want to pair it up with a Kistler Argon because you can find them for 80 bucks a pop new on ebay. Again, I'm not suggesting this rod, because I've never used it, just letting you know about a good deal (this rod sold for 200 some when kistler was still making them).

I'm a braid fan, so I think I'll put braid on it. It might not be to good for you to start out with, because it's expensive, and beginners are more prone to backlash, not to mention it's not very for giving with treble baits, dude to it's no-stretch characteristic. But for you I'd advise a good FLOATING copolymer line (a newer kind of line, not sure if you know about it), or low stretch mono. P-line CXX is great... BUT GET 12LB OR LESS. I cannot stress that enough. If you get anything higher I'm 90% sure you'll end up hating it. p-line pulled a major di** move with this line, making the advertised strength much lower then the actual breaking strength (12lb is more like 17lb, and 10lb is more like 14lb). I got 12lb and pulled nice bass out of some thick weeds with the drag buttoned down all the way when I lived in Florida and never broke off once. If you're not fishing thick cover, then I'd advise going with 10lb. Beware though this line dose have a lot of memory, and is thick for the advertised breaking strength, and it takes some time to break it in. But it's great, low stretch line, and it's extremely abrasion resistant, making it great for bottom contact baits, and moving baits alike. Sunline super natural mono also has a good reputation for being low stretch, and thin. I've never used it however, but I thought you should know about it.

Hope this helps you some! And welcome to the forum, and back to fishing! Where in the world ya live in?

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-30-11 at 11:23 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 11:36 AM   #7
bassinbob

If you want a reel that will not give you any problems what so ever get a Shimano Curado. Parts will always be available, if ever needed (which is unlikely). Performs flawlessly. Has a high resale value. And is a pleasure to use. All of these attributes lead to a great time on the water because you do not have to worry about a reel that will give you any headaches.
Old 04-30-11, 01:21 PM   #8
walkeraviator

And there it is...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 01:24 PM   #9
bassinbob

Couldn't resist.
Old 04-30-11, 01:48 PM   #10
islandbass

Just remember that reels are tools. If I were you, I would care less about what others thought about the reel I was using. Let them keep their stuck up noses in the air. Like I said, I see reels as tools and depending on the technique and scope, one might be a sounder choice than the other and you will soon come the the conclusion that there are many techniques for which both work equally well.

I guess what I am trying to say is get a bc reel because YOU want to and not because "everyone else" is using them. I don't mean this in any harsh way. Don't give in to the Jones'.

As for the side to get, I would choose a bc reel that has a handle on the same side that you are already accustomed to. Ahemm.... Shimano Curado. hee! Ahem. PS. Not a member of the Shimano possee.

Just about every bc reel at the $120.00 price point should serve you well. Ahem.. Shimano.
Old 04-30-11, 02:27 PM   #11
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Lots of suggestions out there. I would look at a Lew's, BPS Pro Qualifier or a Shimano Curado. Regardless to what people say, IMHO the Pro Qualifier is head and shoulders above any Abu offering. I think it is the best reel available in the $160 or under category.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 05:52 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am one of the originals at the Shimano Posse Redwood Table. You can't go wrong with a Shimano Curado off of ebay (New in box) for the money (About $150) and you should have about $50 to spend at tacklewarehouse.com on tackle and get free shipping all around. HEHEHEHEHE
Old 04-30-11, 06:47 PM   #13
Bassboss

I forgot to add that a 6.x:1 ration reel is a must of all around, other wise you might as well go home. It would be a pain to fish big cranks on a 7:1 reel, and an equally big sliver in the a$$ to fish a jig with a 5:1 reel.

Last edited by Bassboss; 05-01-11 at 02:14 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 07:53 PM   #14
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've been debating this same things the last few days I just got some new rods and was trying to decide what reels to put on them. I'm strongly considering the Bass Pro Qualifier to save some money. 2 guys I fish with use them one guy loves it and says its one of the best reels he's used and the other guy had issues with it when he would set the hook. I currently have 2 Citicas and 1 Revo STX, and can't say anything bad about either one.
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 12:22 PM   #15
ted4800
BassFishin.Com Member

Just my two cents worth. I have 5 Abu Garcia baitcasters 4600 & one 5500 series. been useing them for going on 20 years at the advice of local tackle repair shop. I have them all cleaned and service every winter. tackle shop has no problem getting parts when something is worn out even for the 20 year old reel. They are moderately priced and very dependable. But after having said that someone said dont try to keep up with the Jones, Very good advice, Buy what you want and what you are comfortable with no matter who recommends what, you are the only one that has to be satisfied with it in your price range.
ted4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 01:37 PM   #16
docknocker
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't blow your brains out or your budget,Go to BPS and pickup a Browning Citori, See if you like it and then upgrade later(I think you will be pleased)
Best of luck
Regards
SteveO
docknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 02:57 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by docknocker View Post
Don't blow your brains out or your budget,Go to BPS and pickup a Browning Citori, See if you like it and then upgrade later(I think you will be pleased)
Best of luck
Regards
SteveO
The only thing about saving some money now and upgrading later is it costs you a lot more in the long run. The only way I'd do that is if my budget only allowed for a cheaper reel. Otherwise, I'd go with as good a reel as my budget would allow.

BB
Old 05-01-11, 09:53 PM   #18
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Under $200 for a combo, I would say a bps extreme 6'6" or 7' med hevy rod and an extreme 6.3:1 reel with a flippin switch, and a balance kit.

$200 for a reel? Either a quantum energy, shimano, or bps johnny morris. Diawa discontinued all their good reels. I haven't seen anything that impressed me better than the Rick clunn's and morris's in a wile.
Old 05-01-11, 10:09 PM   #19
Tavery5

If you are looking for a combo for around 200 you should take a look at the Abu Garcia rods, the Vendetta 79, and the Veritas at 99, both rods use quality guides and are fairly sensitive, the Veritas is lighter than the Vendetta, but neither is extremely overweight. I would pair this with a either a BPS Pro Qualifier, or Shimano Citica. If you are looking for reels in the 200 price range, there are allot of good options, a few that I would suggest you take a look at are the Lews Tournament Pro Speed Spool, Pflueger Patriarch XT, and the Quantum Smoke. I prefer them in this order, but it all comes down to what you find comfortable and fits your style.

Good Luck

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.