Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-11, 08:21 PM   #1
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First Baitcasting Reel

I'm new to the forum and am looking for a little advise on my first baitcasting reel. The two I'm really looking at are the Daiwa Exceler and the Lew's Speed Spool. Either one will be put on a 7' MH Dobyns Savvy rod with 12# or 15# Seaguar InvizX line. I use a left hand retrieve which makes me only able to get the Lew's in 6.4:1 gear ratio but the Daiwa comes in 7.1:1 so one question I have is does that make that much of a difference in performance? Which reel would you guys go with and why? The whole set up will be used as a somewhat do it all set up.
Dylanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 08:38 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Very easy answer for me...Lew's.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 09:30 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My choice would also be the Lews, the other thing that you may want to think about is your line choice. Not that InvizX is not a good line, but with this being your first baitcaster you may be better off with a less expensive line to learn with. You will have some backlashes and it would be far less expensive to use a spool of mono line until your are more experienced with a baitcast reel.
Old 05-15-11, 09:34 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's a really hard one. I think the Lew's would probably give you better performance, but I've never used one, so I can't vogue for that. It'll really come down to what kind of breaks you want to learn with.

Do you want to be able to make adjustments on the fly with the mag force brakes on the daiwa? They're the simplest breaks out there, just dial it in a go. The Centrifugal breaks on the lews are a little trickier. You have to remove the side plate (very simple to do, just twist/push a button), and move the pins up or down to adjust the breaks.

Definitely get a 6:1 reel. The best all around speed, not to fast for stuff like spinnerbaits and shallow cranks, but just fine for worms and jigs. I do not recommend that speed for Deep diving cranks though.. you'll just ware yourself down. For those you need a dedicated reel for them with a slower speed like 5:1 or 4:1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
My choice would also be the Lews, the other thing that you may want to think about is your line choice. Not that InvizX is not a good line, but with this being your first baitcaster you may be better off with a less expensive line to learn with. You will have some backlashes and it would be far less expensive to use a spool of mono line until your are more experienced with a baitcast reel.
I could not agree more. Go with something dispensable like berkly big game. I personally hate the stuff, but it's cheep and relatively limp, so if you have to cut the line due to a backlash it's not the end of the world. 12lb test'll do ya.
Old 05-16-11, 06:32 AM   #5
walkeraviator

These guys nailed it. The 6:1 ratio is better for an all around rig, and I would buy some Trilene XL until you have it all figured out.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 10:10 AM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I agree with Tavery here. If your new to baitcasting you WILL get a few back lashes and no doubt a couple your going to have to cut out. But don't let that discourage you by any means. Once you get the hang of using a bait caster you'll be glad you did. All of us had to go through that learning phase. Personally, I think 15 pound line would be about your best all around line choice. Berkley Trilene Big Game would be a great choice for learning on. It's cheep but also a decent line. Pretty managable, and tough as nails. I still use it from time to time, especially for spinnerbaits where sensitivity is not really a big issue, but line strength is. And by the way, welcome to the best darn website around!
Old 05-16-11, 03:35 PM   #7
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll definitely have to start with some cheaper mono for line. I didn't even put into consideration the line I'd be losing from backlashes. I'm also open to any other recommendations on reels. Those are just the two I saw in that price range and liked. Any other recommendations in the $80-$100 range are welcome.
Old 05-16-11, 04:36 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've only used a couple reels in that price range: Daiwa Procaster SE-L (special edition, made for Cabela's about 4 years ago), Shimano Citica 201E, and BPS Pro Qualifier (LH 5.4:1).

Let me start by saying I'm a Daiwa fan. Most of my good casting reels are Daiwas with a couple Revos in the mix.

I like Daiwa's brake system better than others on the market. The Procaster was actually the reel I learned baitcasters on and it served me well.

The Citica was a replacement for a cheapo Gander Mtn. reel that crapped out on me. Both were purchased during times when I was a bit low on funds. I acquired the Pro Qualifier over the winter from a member of the forum and am pleased from the little I've gotten to use it. This was also a "low on funds" reel.

For a beginner, I'd probably check out the Pro Qualifier. It gives a decent balance of performance for the price. And they can be had on sale even cheaper than list. The Citica is a decent little reel, but I find it uncomfortable to fish with. I haven't fished any of the $100 range Daiwa reels as most of mine are a bit higher end than that, so I really can't comment on them. I've also never used any of the Lews reels, but I've heard good things.

BB
Old 05-16-11, 06:41 PM   #9
keithdog

I'd have to second the Pro Qualifier. I liked my first one so well that I now have three and use them often without any troubles. Very smooth reels.
Old 05-18-11, 12:33 AM   #10
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

Would the pro qualifier or the pro qualifier tournament be a better choice? The tournament is lighter and reels more line but I thought I'd ask because I don't know much about either. Also how much of a performance increase comes from a reel that's more expensive like a abu garcia revo or quantum smoke? They're more money but I'm wondering if they will make learning a baitcaster easier or if the improvements would be something I wouldn't be able to really take advantage of being new to them.
Old 05-18-11, 07:49 AM   #11
walkeraviator

I am gonna sya Pro Qualifier as well. I have one and its my favorite reel in my arsenal. I like the dual brakes a lot. I would skip on the pro qualifer tournament unless you plan to spend all day fishing... cuz that is when teh extra weight starts to s*ck
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 08:23 AM   #12
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanl View Post
Would the pro qualifier or the pro qualifier tournament be a better choice? The tournament is lighter and reels more line but I thought I'd ask because I don't know much about either. Also how much of a performance increase comes from a reel that's more expensive like a abu garcia revo or quantum smoke? They're more money but I'm wondering if they will make learning a baitcaster easier or if the improvements would be something I wouldn't be able to really take advantage of being new to them.
I would go with the Pro Qualifier Tournament. It is lighter like you said by about 1.5 ounces, which is quite a bit for reel weight. I own about a dozen of the Pro Qualifier Tournaments and they are by far the best reel out there for your money. They feauture duralumin (aircraft grade aluminum) in the gears, crankshaft, and the worm gear as well. The cast is nice and smooth with little to no noise, and the retrieve is as smooth as melted butter. The dual braking system is also a huge plus for a beginner.

That being said I also have half a dozen Quantum Smoke PT reels, and hands down they will outcast my BPS reels, when set properly. IMO, Quantum reels take some serious thumbing to get some good distance and they should probably not be used by a new baitcaster user. The PQT's are alot easier to learn on IMO.

Ryan
Old 05-18-11, 07:00 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanl View Post
I'd go with the cheaper one to start, make sure ya like baitcasters (which you WILL, lol!). But their's no reason to go the expensive Revos, or more Lews (or smoke personlly it felt kinda cheap to me, but maybe that's cause it's SO LIGHT, lol!). I learned on a POS bill dance signature Quantum, lasted me a few months, but after using it in salt water against so big fish, the frame bent and it started grinding.
Old 05-18-11, 08:17 PM   #14
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

I think I'm gonna go with either the pro qualifier or pro qualifier tournament. The revo sx looks like a really nice real for a more expensive one but I'll make sure I like the baitcaster first and maybe then upgrade or get another set up. The pro qualifier's get good reviews so they should be a good learning reel. I'm really looking forward to getting it and trying it out! I've been wanting to try one for a few years now so I'm excited to have it.
Old 05-20-11, 01:00 PM   #15
ORbassjunkie
BassFishin.Com Member

Cant go wrong with a pro qualifier, like myself I am new to baitcasters and started off on a cheap combo that was givin to me. Over all great reel to learn on, and saved me lots while out fishin
ORbassjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 11:26 AM   #16
ted48
BassFishin.Com Member

I am not new to baitcasters been using them for about 30 years. Started with a couple of Lews, Couldn't master them and sold them went back to spinning. Tried again couple years later with the determination that I could do it and did, I have 4/5 Abu garcia baitcasters on the advice of the local tackle shop that parts are still available for 30 year old garcias as they come out with new products and styles but the technodogy and parts don't change that much. Like some other Mfgs. And they are mid range in Price and I have found them to be dependable and reliable year after year. Jus my 2 cents worth.
Good luck Fishing and God Bless.
ted48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.