Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-06, 05:35 PM   #1
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Ike want to be

I was watching the eastern federation tournament for b.a.s.s today and there was this guy wearing a do-rag yelling and screaming after catching fish. I don't have a problem with Iconelli, but someone else doing this to is alittle to much. Yeah it's alright to cheer after you catch a big fish, hell I'm happy when I do it. But sometimes its a little to much!
Old 01-21-06, 05:37 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They are encouraged to do it. Apparently acting like a moron is a good way to attract young peoples attention.
Old 01-21-06, 05:42 PM   #3
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

you would think fishing alone would attrack people. But it seems like bass fishing is going the same rout all other sports are.
Old 01-21-06, 06:32 PM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It remains to be seen whether these dudes are gonna' help or hurt the sport. I recently PM'd basstech with basically everything posted here so far. Just wait to see if he chimes in! I read on bassfan that the pros were told that they had to act more like Ike if they wanted to get more airtime and essentially promote their sponsors, thus Denny Brauer pulled his Iacconelli during one of the tour stops in '05. They replay his scream between shows, you may recall it; "YEEAHH BABY!!! LOOK AT THAT TOAD!!!" That seriously upsetted me. Iacconelli's screams didn't bother me at first because I have felt like doing the same on occasion. Now, however, they seem phony and staged. I'd like to see the cooler, calmer vets crush them and shut them up.
Old 01-21-06, 06:37 PM   #5
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I think Denny Brauer wasn't acting like Mike I. I've seen him get this excited way before the days of "Ike". I know the tournament when he said that, and that was a big fish!!! But anymore when Mike does scream, it does seem very phony! Do any guys from FLW act this way?
Old 01-21-06, 06:43 PM   #6
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

A nother quick note: When Denny yelled when he caught that bass he didn't scream at the top of his lungs like Mike does. Sometimes I think thats rude! It would be different if it was in a football stadium or at a basket ball game, but when your on a lake in the outdoors it's kinda common sense not to scream like an idiot.
Old 01-21-06, 06:49 PM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I also saw Denny, one of my favorites, get way too upset when he lost a fish, I think in '04. He was thrashing his rod about and generally making a fool of himself.

He didn't have to say "I may have to pull an Iacconelli on this one" in '05. I think it was in response to the suggestion that he be like Ike . I saw KVD lose one and he just calmly said "that was a good one," and immediately made another cast. That's a cool cat! Rick Clunn has mentioned that you cannot let missed fish keep you down or it can cost you a win. I believe that to be true.
Old 01-21-06, 06:52 PM   #8
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Doesn't Iacconelli look like a moron saying "It's a giant, it's a giant," and then catch 1 lbers or less. I got a buddy who's a big fan of his and I love giving him a hard time about him.
Old 01-21-06, 06:59 PM   #9
JB

I know ten years ago when I was in the thick of local tournies, if you had
yelled like that after a catch everyone would have been thinking "poor s.o.b. must not have caught a thing all day till that one " lol.
Seriously tho, watching guys get pumped on camera does add some charisma to their peronalities on air. We endured the 80s-90's era of tv show with basically just one guy or two on a lake, with no reason to yell.
Its a gimmick that works for todays buying generation of younger anglers,
And I see nothing wrong with it...before joining this forum I hadn't even heard of Ike, he's good and I don't mind him yellin...it reminds me of the
new gimmicks on other shows like WWE wrestling, its funny at first , then over the years gets stale. The key will be for Ike to throw in a new move this year between yells and the "deck brake dance"
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 07:06 PM   #10
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I personally like Ikes antics. He has done so much for the sport. Only reason people dislike him is because he gets the attention they want! Lay of Ike!
Old 01-21-06, 07:08 PM   #11
JB

As many times I've seen him catch fish I bet the other pros don't like the fact that he's beating them consistantly. The yelling is just an excuse for some to "say they don't care for him" IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 07:10 PM   #12
PowerBass

Exactly JB, he gets the attention they want! And he is good at what he does!
Old 01-21-06, 08:47 PM   #13
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

wait'll 50cent does his thing at the classic....or........B.A.S.S,goes gangsta...then i ask for a refund on my life membership.
snoop dog doin a halftime show at the classic..lmao!
Old 01-21-06, 08:50 PM   #14
crankybait

hey thatd be pretty cool... they should make a show of celebrities gone fishing. i think its be hillarious... and dr. dre lands a hawg!
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 10:48 PM   #15
lonestarboater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to lonestarboater Send a message via Yahoo to lonestarboater

Those fancy celebrity singer hotshots would probably be grossed out if they touched a fish. Plus if they could actually get one on the hook.
Old 01-22-06, 12:13 AM   #16
basstech

I'm sure Mike I is a decent guy, he's obviously a very good angler. I guess I take exception not so much with him or his antics but more how the corporate entertainment people use that and present it as acceptable. This isn't just about B.A.S.S. going to hell in a hand basket. It's our whole damn country...that we continue to lower standards and not only make certain kinds of behavior as acceptable, but as expected, to get ahead. Shouldn't it be enough that in a sport like this that you catch fish and be in one of the top 5 or 10 positions to get credit without having to behave in a manner you normally wouldn't?
Maybe we're the ones to blame being so enamored with poor behavior that we make those people rich and they get the impression this is what we want. Just like the corrupt politician always using "it's just politics" to justify their criminal behavior. The fraudulent corporation selling a defective product saying " it's just business" to justify the people that get injured or die so they can make millions. Now it's leaking into the sport of bass fishing, but after all "it's just entertainment". This society I think has an illness in the way it idolizes the famous, powerful, and the rich and maybe we don't question people in those groups motivation enough. There is nothing wrong with being rich, powerful or famous, don't get me wrong here. I think there is something wrong with how many people play the game to get there and how they use it, and more importantly the fact that our society seems to place these people on a pedestal like they are better than the rest of us. Sure I would love to go fishing with a Kevin VanDam or Rick Clun...even Mike Iconelli. But I would be just as happy to fish with Zooker, Rebasser, Kevin and other guys that I know, know their stuff and more importantly love the sport as much as I do. IMO it just seems like there is a severe lack of integrity when the entertainment company putting on a show is telling the participants how to act, making the show about something other than what it is suppose to be about. Last I heard it was about being a fishing competition, not "who can put on the biggest display of antics".
Old 01-22-06, 07:21 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

Thing about it is Ike didnt use to be this way. I used to by some of my fishing gear from his parents store and talked to him and also fished against him on Lake Hopatcong in N.J. Never did hear him holler like he does now. Dont know what they are putting in the water nowadays. Kinda like that pompous a@@ Martin hollering" Son SOn Its a Monster Oh Son" Everyone gets excited thats the beauty of the sport. But to act like a moron....welllllll lets not get to carried away and make a fool outta ourselves. Hold the hollering down till they hand you the check for say a $10,000 1st place in a big tourney then let loose.
Old 01-22-06, 07:47 AM   #18
PowerBass

1FASTLASER,

Before Ike won the classic he was ready to quit. it wasnt working for him. But then he went on to win. Apparently the "joy" comes from catching a fish, because he almost quit his career on not catching or winning. Hence his saying "Never Give Up"
Old 01-22-06, 07:57 AM   #19
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

remember Carolina Chip??that was one of the guys that he sponsors.I saw the name on his shirt,then remembered seeing him on Chip's site.Smallish world,eh..
Old 01-22-06, 09:09 AM   #20
KenDammit

I find all of his antics to be highly annoying and disrespectful to competitors and to the sport. Theres no need to go yelling over every fish you catch, or breakdancing, or whatever else. Theres a difference in being excited and being ridiculous and in my opinion, Ike goes way too far over the line. I know that there are times when a fish is so important that you can't help but scream, but like I said, not every fish. Just fish, enjoy the sport, be YOURSELF and let your NATURAL personality shine through. I am sure I'm not alone in the fact that because of his screams, I haven't noticed a single product he is sponsored by or felt inclined to buy something because of him, just for the simple fact that I can't stand to watch him. I know he's a very educated fisherman, knows his stuff and does very well..but its just too much for me to take.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 11:52 AM   #21
basstech

Well guys I do empathize with you all. I don't have cable and won't spend the money on it so I don't ever see any of that. I just get all my information second hand. I agree. I get annoyed when I am fishing and people start hooting and hollering...it "disturbs the peace" so to speak and that is part of why I love fishing so much, the Peace or serenity. Like I said earlier, for me, I shouldn't be bagging on someone I don't know, who largely doesn't effect me, cause I don't watch any of that stuff. If I ever join B.A.S.S. again, or ever join FLW, it will be strictly to fish in a club or tournaments. I got no use for their shows or magazines. If I was going to get a subscription to a magazine to learn stuff from...it would be In-fisherman. But I did keep all my old Bassmasters mags. because they truly do have "useful" information. The last time I was subscribed to it like 5 years ago, it just seemed to be all about promotion. Either someones product or some angler or themselves and how invaluable they are to the sport. At last check, I think B.A.S.S. had declared themselves as "The Sport".
Old 01-22-06, 12:47 PM   #22
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr.
Doesn't Iacconelli look like a moron saying "It's a giant, it's a giant," and then catch 1 lbers or less.
I'm getting to where when they show Ike I mute it so I don't have to listen to him squeal.

His "It's a giant" is starting to fall into the same class as a "Roland Martin 10 pounder"-they are both about the same size, too.
Old 01-22-06, 12:59 PM   #23
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech
But I did keep all my old Bassmasters mags. because they truly do have "useful" information. The last time I was subscribed to it like 5 years ago, it just seemed to be all about promotion.
That's ok Basstech,the articles now are pretty much just rehashes anyways.You probably can read the same thing only worded differently(after you sift through all the ads)BTW is it just me or does it seem like every other page in Bassmaster mag have a commercial ad on it?
Old 01-22-06, 02:08 PM   #24
Rebbasser

More like every page, va.
Old 01-22-06, 02:56 PM   #25
WTL

The State Game and Fish magazines are twice as good as the bassmasters. They actually have some useful information. Bass fishing if possible is becoming too focused around lure tricks, and not focused enough around patterning and lure presentation.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.