Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-12, 10:20 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Want to know what you think

Ok I've been reading about everyone getting thier free Trokars and questions on use but not really much on folks opinions of the hooks after using them. Thanks again Ryan!
I got a couple packs of 4/0 extra wides. First impression, wow. Great feel, great 'sticky' point, feels strong and just flat out felt like a more substancial hook. I was even beginning to understand thier price.
So I rigged a fluke weightless figuring the 4/0 would have enough weight alone. I was right. The fluke was extremely well balanced and the action was perfect. I'm talking YouTube perfect.
Now I'll be first to admit that flukes have NEVER been good to me. Ya I've caught fish but nothing like the success I hear around here and elsewhere. Frankly the frustration has driven me to use 'fluking' to replace another common term. anyways those who know, I have a tendency to probably over investigate new to me tackle. It has to not work under alot of diverse situations before I scrap it.
First bass, nice short battle...spit the hook.
Throw it again... wham, huge sunny! Talking meal in itself big. No spitout. Confidence returns. A while latter another fairly large bass and great fight after a solid hook set....five feet from me jumps and spits hook. Now I caught 12 bass that day using the fluke and Trokar, fluke and Gammie, worm with gammy and a fluke with weighted mustad (I need the million bucks, ) So it can't all be blamed on me and my lack of skill. Three spit outs on Trokars, one with a Texas rigged worm. No other spit outs all day. Now I have caught fish with the Trokars and I'm not criticizing them, just sharing my experience and thoughts. And yes I've had spitouts on gammies and others.
Anyway thoughts...I would take two packs of gammies, owners or even mustad before a equally priced single pack of trokars even at the new price point.
Now I will continue to experiment with them and I certainly am not ready to toss them but I really did expect more, especially at the earlier price point.
So anyway anyone want to share thier experiences, especially those first time users.
Old 05-29-12, 01:59 PM   #2
MIbasser

I think you need to work on your hook sets...... Nah, I just like to call that fishing. I saw my dad catch the same fish 3 times this weekend and all three times it spit the hook. Why, I couldn't tell you.

When the fish comes off, is the point of the hook exposed? Is the bait pulled down into the curve of the hook? I've had a fish fight all the way back to the boat and come off only to find the hook still buried in the worm....

But I will say that the fish I hooked with their 4/0 flipping hook, did not come un-buttoned
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 02:37 PM   #3
lilmule

When having trouble getting a decent hook in(not always your fault) dont immediately set, point rod at where it is reel up till resistance then set.Meaning revert to a frog bite type hookset 1,2,3.Odds are when it is striking home rod is at or near 12 oclock or later,home in at 1o that way rod will bend to 12 if its decent.
Basically your setting on slack line.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 04:42 PM   #4
Cavs1123

I know that Ryan had problems with the Trokars points bending over or becoming dull after 1 or 2 fish.
Old 05-29-12, 05:22 PM   #5
joedog

Hey thanks all but I've been fishing now for 43 years, if I can't set now my guess is I never will.
My point was more about the Trokars loosing fish and as the post mentioned I set and landed 12 all probably 17s to 20 plusers. I was wading so measuring not weighing. My skills always has room for improvement but the jest of it was that I'm not all that impressed by a $1.25 per hook product that had three spit outs first time using and my .37 cent gammies lost none.
lilmule, I was fishing flukes with a twitch, twitch harder twitch action. From my experience you basically don't or won't set unless you first feel at least some tension. So is that how you set when fishing Flukes?
Thanks Cav, I'll take a look.
I guess after the original $2.25 price per hook I just expected more.
I have yet to hear anyone say Trokars are thier go toos or even thier favs.
So I was just kind of trying to get a feel of what the thoughts are. Someone gets thier first pointer or even Pop,R and you hear alot abouut thier thoughts on performance versus price yet I'm not hearing anyone say they feel they are better or more successful due to the Trokars.
These were free so I figured alot of new to Trokar responses and reactions and thoughts would be posted on thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by joedog; 05-29-12 at 05:28 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.