Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-10, 10:53 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking My Turn now!! Bait monkey attack!!!

All right guys, just got back from gander a little while ago with a friend, we where bother looking to get a new spinning rod. We both were wanting to get a pflueger president rod. We we got there, and started looking but we didn't see any of them other than on a combo, so finally we asked one'a the guys working there. He said they didn't have any and they sold out just today. So we started directing us to other rods around the same price, looked at a couple gander rods (forget what kind), they seemed pretty nice, but not quite like the president. So finally he remembered that they had some new gander rods that we're made by pflueger and were the same thing only with EVA foam handles. And they where only 30 bucks, on sale!! But, it get's better yet!!! They had a deal with the First Cast sale going on, that if you buy a Mitchell Tanger spinning reel, you got the rod for free!! So I checked out the rod, with the reel on it very, very light combo, feather light weight, and the reel is 8.7oz! So after looking around a little, I got a 6'6" MF action! Looks really nice too, a nice dark blue and good looking, (and feeling) EVA foam split grip handle!

45$ rod, on sale for 30, WITH a free reel (30 bucks)! So, I got a 75 dollar combo on sale for 30 bucks! That's more than 50% off!!!

Got some, put a lure on (8lb p-line florolcear btw), took a cast on the drive way, dragged it across! And, I can say with with certitude, this a sensitive stick! I think I'm gonna love this rod, light, sensitive, and sexy, my kinda rod! The reel's ok, but hell it was free!! I'll probably put it to the test tomorrow, and will report back here! Gonna see if my neighbor's got a digital camera I could barrow, to get some pics on here for you guys!

~~~

The monkey wants more!! If this reel does not hold up (it's plastic), I may have to get another..... he's looking at a Daiwa Tierra spinning reel now, he thinks it will look great with the deep blue rod!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-07-10 at 10:45 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 11:55 AM   #2
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Way to go Boss, feed that monkey!
Old 03-07-10, 11:57 AM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats on the new combo! Definitely post some pics if you can!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:40 PM   #4
Cavs1123

Gratz on the combo. Hope you like it!!
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 09:02 PM   #5
Bassboss

Thanks guys!

Here's a little review for y'all!

Rod

Sensitivity
Well, I just got back not to long ago from breaking in the new stick! I started off fishing a shaky head and, to give me a good idea of how the rods sensitivity is! Early into the day I got a few bass, but all on the fall, so I didn't get a whole lot to see you sensitive it was, I could feel the hits though!! Something I could not do with my other spinning rod! While still fishing the shaky head, I caught a few more, this time not on the fall, I could feel the hits very well, and it was easy to tell that from running into a little stick or something!Got one a few more on a shaky head, still nothing big. A little later, I put the shaky head down and tied on a wacky worm! Got a few good bites, all on the fall, and could feel them clear as day! So this is a very sensitive stick, comparable to my XML casting rod even!

Action and power
Rated a M fast action, 1/4oz - 5/8oz, can flick light shaky heads, and weightless wacky rigs (1/8oz and less) 40 yards with no problem, and it feels and fishes like one, very appropriately rated! A few fish later and I hook into something with a little for size to it! The rod loaded up great, and handled it great, definitely had enough back bone to it to drive the hook into their mouths, but still has enough tip, and a slow enough action so I can keep my shirt on when a fish goes for a hard run! Fast cast of the day, I hook into a great 4lb fish, with a wacky worm, I felt the hit hard and strong!

Pros:
Great looks
Very light weight
very sensitive
Split grip EVA foam handle
Rated very well in terms out power and action
Outrageously good price, on sale or not

Cons:
Only 6 guides
The guides and kinda thick

That's pretty much I all I say on this rod so far, after a few more weeks of use I can give a more detailed tackle tour style review!

Now for the reel

Casting
Had the reel spooled up with 8lb p-line floroclear, and could cast very well with just about anything, anything from 1/8oz shaky heads with 4 1/2 inch worms, and weightless 5 inch worms just fine, I've yet to cast and drop shots. But the line goes no and off the reel very smoothly and evenly, the bail also flips and goes back down very smoothly with very little effort! All in all I'll rate this one very good!

Smoothness, drag, and retrieve
This is a surprising smooth reel for only having one bearing! But in terms reliability, smooth, it lacks somewhat. Every once in a while, the reel will get kinda sticky for half a handle tern, but I'm sure that it'll clear up after a little use. When fighting a fish, this reel had all the power I could ask for! Was was kinda concerned about getting to test the drag on the reel, as I may have not caught anything big enough to pull any drag. But again, last cast of the day, the 4lber hit! She went on several nice sized runs and the drag pulled ff very nicely, and smoothly, it's a tad bit load, but other than that it seemed fine, and reliable enough!

Ergonomics:
As far as ergonomics, this reel was very nice, and very comfy, and super light weight considering it's 2000 size, at only 8.7 ounces. The bail was very straight and aliened perfectly from one side to another! As far as how durable the reel is, and the the finish, I'm concerned, being made of plastic, it prone to scratches, and over all durability. Just in the truck ride there and back, I noticed a few scratches and nicks, nothing much though.

Pros:
Lightweight
smooth enough
straight bail
good caster
Great price
Good looks

Cons:
Plastic frame
Prone to scratches and nicks
No Unlimited Anti reverse

~~~~~~

Well, that's pretty much a run down of the whole combo, over all a very good combo so far, if I had to give it a rating on a scale from one to ten, I'd probably give it a 9.5, considering it's price.
Old 03-13-10, 02:37 PM   #6
Cavs1123

Sounds like a great combo Boss!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.