Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-11, 10:34 PM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default ultra light rod??

hey guys,

what's the general consensus on power ratings & length for an ultra light casting rod?

medium xtra fast tip? 6'3" or 7'??? i'm casting light stuff between from 1/16 up to 1/2 oz. currently have a 7ft MH fast tip & cast light stuff ok i guess but have a feeling that it can cast better with a medium power & xtra fast tip??
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 10:37 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For stuff 1/16oz I'd probably go with a 7' L or ML casting rod with a Fast action and a good finesse reel. I also wouldn't throw the 1/2oz stuff on the same rod if I didn't have to.

BB
Old 08-30-11, 10:45 PM   #3
boloson

u recommend any brands?
Old 08-30-11, 11:33 PM   #4
gonefishin3

Boloson,

What price range are you looking for?... Need more detail to answer your question :P
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 11:56 PM   #5
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In the best bang for the (sensitivity/lightness/strength) buck it's hard to beat Fenwick HMG (imho). In the moneys no object class try G Loomis or Shimano Cumulus. I agree with BB on the 1/2 oz stuff.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 02:42 AM   #6
islandbass

Do you mean a true ultra light? If the power isn't ultra light, it is not going to be a true ul rod. Doesn't mean it won't be fun to fish, but strictly by its power it cannot be a true ultra light.

Now if you mean a light action rod for bass fishing, BB144's rec is a pretty good one.

I believe there are pixy and presso rods out there that would fit the bill for true UL rods.
Old 08-31-11, 06:54 AM   #7
BigBassin144

boloson, I know you're already a fan of Dobyns rods. The DX702C would be one of my top choices. The Daiwa Steez SPX Mega Top casting rod would probably be a good choice too, but it only comes in a 6'10" rod. St Croix also has a 6'9" or 6'10" ML rod in their LTB series I believe.

BB
Old 08-31-11, 11:19 AM   #8
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
Boloson,

What price range are you looking for?... Need more detail to answer your question :P
price is not a factor but would like to keep it under $300 since i recently just bought a steez rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
In the best bang for the (sensitivity/lightness/strength) buck it's hard to beat Fenwick HMG (imho). In the moneys no object class try G Loomis or Shimano Cumulus. I agree with BB on the 1/2 oz stuff.
any particular gloomis? i'm really not familiar with their line up. it says the cumulus lure rating is from 1/8 to 1/4 i believe? any other rods that'll handle lower or would i have to go really ultra light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Do you mean a true ultra light? If the power isn't ultra light, it is not going to be a true ul rod. Doesn't mean it won't be fun to fish, but strictly by its power it cannot be a true ultra light.

Now if you mean a light action rod for bass fishing, BB144's rec is a pretty good one.

I believe there are pixy and presso rods out there that would fit the bill for true UL rods.
i wouldnt say true ultralight since i tend to use senkos from 4" to 6". just started to get into ultra light cranks/ topwater though & that's the rod i'm leaning towards (what ever handles that those cranks). what is the BB144?
yes i saw someone selling the pixy rod since my reel is an airey red pixy. would like that but too much $$ at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
boloson, I know you're already a fan of Dobyns rods. The DX702C would be one of my top choices. The Daiwa Steez SPX Mega Top casting rod would probably be a good choice too, but it only comes in a 6'10" rod. St Croix also has a 6'9" or 6'10" ML rod in their LTB series I believe.

BB
yes dobyns would be nice. been meaning to try out there other stuff since i'm really happy with their swimbait rod. steez is out of the question right now since i just bought 1. 1 of the guides is already cracked at the base . dont know how that could've happened but it did. don't want to put in a claim just yet since the season is still going strong & i'm lovin the pix & steez combo. st croix seem to fit the bill too since i play with it everytime i go to bass pro.
Old 08-31-11, 12:44 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

I can get ''popping'' rod blanks rated 1/16-3/8oz 7' ML/FAST 4-10 Line.

My give the Loomis popping rods a look or similar.

or talk to me
Old 08-31-11, 03:05 PM   #10
BigBassin144

For ultralight cranks, I'd go with the DX701C. For light contact baits like dropshot, weightless worms, etc. the DX702C should work fine.

Or like Walker said, talk to him. he'll hook you up.

BB
Old 08-31-11, 03:50 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
For ultralight cranks, I'd go with the DX701C. For light contact baits like dropshot, weightless worms, etc. the DX702C should work fine.

BB
Ah! I over looked the 701...That would be worth a look for sure.
Old 08-31-11, 07:22 PM   #12
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I can get ''popping'' rod blanks rated 1/16-3/8oz 7' ML/FAST 4-10 Line.

My give the Loomis popping rods a look or similar.

or talk to me
what would something like that run me?

Quote:

BB
kinda leaning towards the 701. i dont think ive ever heard of anyone giving dobyns a bad review. they all praise them
Old 08-31-11, 09:14 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

Hey Boloson.. Take a look at the G Loomis shr821s ...its listed as a Shakeey Head rod but I've been using it since June to toss everything from 4" finesse worms to #7 Rapalas and have really enjoyed it. I especially like the tip action...really makes that Rapala "POP", and its well within your price range.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 09:16 AM   #14
boloson

I'll check out that loomis when I go to bps. I thinly they carry it there. Thanks everyone
Old 09-04-11, 09:19 PM   #15
Bender

The rod that I have been using for very light casting this year is a Loomis SMR753C - JB. It is supposed to be a jerkbait rod, and it works well for Pointer 78s, but it cannot handle a Pointer 100 IMO. Where the rod really shines is for topwater. I'm using braid and a BPS Carbonlite reel and it works very well. The only thing that I haven't been able to throw consistently are super light walleye jerkbaits and I might just need lighter line for that.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.