Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-08, 03:04 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hook inquiries for Basstrix, Luck E' Strikes

I am trying to get to the "bottom line" simple answer on the issue of proper hooks for these baits. Unfortunately, like most things, there is varying information . . .

Bassmaster did an article on the Basstrix and suggested Mustad Hooks with the lead poker thing that can be stuck in the front of the bait. The article did not say what size.

An angler on the BPS comments section for Luck E' Strike mentioned using an 11/0 hook. I don't even know if I have every seen an 11/0. Is this dude serious?

The Reaction Strike website indicates that the proper size hooks are 7/0 weighted for 6" baits, 6/0 weighted for 5" baits, 5/0 weighted for 4" baits, and 4/0 weighted for 3.5 to 3" baits.

In all likelihood I will be purchasing the 5.5 Luck E' Strikes (the knockoff Basstrix) from BPS. What size hook and how much weight (1/16 or 1/8 oz)?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 03:35 PM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The reactionstrike site has it right!
Old 02-18-08, 03:49 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

But the reactionstrike site doesn't tell me what size for a 5.5" bait. Do I need a 7/0 or a 6/0. (I am trying to only buy the hooks that I will use because I already have accumulated tons of hooks that I will never need).

Also, should I use a screw in hook or a "stick in" type hook?
Old 02-18-08, 05:00 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Well, pick how deep you want to fish. Ya wanna go deep? Go with 1/8 oz. Ya wanna go shallow? Go with 1/16 oz. C'mon man, it's all about personal preference...

-Lunk-
Old 02-18-08, 05:10 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

sorry Wishin, didn't read all the way through..if it was me I'd go with the 7/0 and mix the weights...or....just buy the 1/16oz and change the positioning on the location of the eyelit in relation to the head of the bait...if you want to force the bait down bend the eyelit at a 45 angle down and this wil force the bait to swim down...the opposite will keep it running along the surface like scurring baitfish...i wouldn't use the screw hooks...just the "stick in" will work fine...these baits are EXTREMELY soft and you will want to hook them like tubes..I don't push the hook all the way through like a typical texas rig..it does too much damage to the bait..just push the eyelit under the chin and out the mouth and then run your hook...just my thoughts
Old 02-18-08, 08:52 PM   #6
3dkicker

Wishin - Take one of the baits with you to the store (I'm guessing you have one nearby). Find a 5/0 extra wide gap hook and see how it fits. If it doesn't then go with the 6/0.
With the weights, I'd think about how you are retrieving the bait. Swimming over grass then not much weight needed or none. Dropping it into holes in the grass then you'll want a little more. If you're dragging one along the bottom of a drop off then go heavy.
Screw in vs normal. Screw in will rip out after a while (see Jason above). The old glues don't work well with the new material (Basstrix) but new stuff is coming out or is out. Go with the normal EWG hook but there's a trick to rigging them to make the baits last longer and not tear up so easily. One part of the trick is to reverse how you rig the hook (see above too).
Old 02-21-08, 10:58 AM   #7
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wishin---I have some 4.5" and 6" Bass Magic. A 6/0 is marginal at best for the 4.5" bait, there just isn't enough gap even on the Owner wide gap 6/0.

Lake Fork Tackle has just come out with some weighted EXTRA wide gap hooks in 7/0 and 10/0. IMHO you want this big of hooks and the wide wide gap for the 4.5" and 6" baits respectively. There is a ton of plastic that will have to fit in the gap to get a good hookset. Also, these hooks have the spear type bait holder on the eye rather than the spring type so they don't do as much damage to the bait. They don't have them on their website yet but you can call and order them at: 800 408-2028 ext. 13.

Nice thing about the 10/0 is that if you need a grappling hook or another hook for the winch on your boat trailer you are covered.
Old 02-21-08, 12:05 PM   #8
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 3/0 Owner Twistlock for my bass magic, works just fine and havent missed a hookset yet.
Old 02-21-08, 05:40 PM   #9
links_man2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Justice85 View Post
I use a 3/0 Owner Twistlock for my bass magic, works just fine and havent missed a hookset yet.
What size/length? Plus I am sorta into size matters---lol.
Old 02-22-08, 11:38 AM   #10
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

........5.5" ones
Old 02-27-08, 01:57 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

Thanks for all the replys. I am gonna experiment with some hooks. For now, I ordered some Mustad hooks with the spear-like thingy to push into the front of the bait along with some screw in Owner hooks. I will let you guys know how they work out.

On a side note, I also ordered some of the Lucky Strike Bass Magic from BPS. They appear to be Basstrix knock offs . . . I was extremely disappointed because the Lucky Strikes are not hollow. In any event, I am hoping that they still catch some fish.
Old 02-27-08, 04:34 PM   #12
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Thanks for all the replys. I am gonna experiment with some hooks. For now, I ordered some Mustad hooks with the spear-like thingy to push into the front of the bait along with some screw in Owner hooks. I will let you guys know how they work out.
IMO the spear-like ones will slip off too easily, you should invest in the screw in attachments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
On a side note, I also ordered some of the Lucky Strike Bass Magic from BPS. They appear to be Basstrix knock offs . . . I was extremely disappointed because the Lucky Strikes are not hollow.
Which ones did you get, I got the 5.5s and theyre hollow
Old 02-28-08, 11:54 AM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

Which ones did you get, I got the 5.5s and theyre hollow

I ordered the 5.5s and they are not hollow . . . I will look them over again to see if I jumped to a conclusion . . . but I was expecting a plastic that is more like a tube (completely hollow on the inside)
Old 02-28-08, 01:37 PM   #14
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

as in a skirt tube or just a thin membrane? It has enough for your hook to easily rest and penetrate the top skin and is flimsy enough to stay swimming.
Old 02-28-08, 04:23 PM   #15
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

These:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

For the 5.5" use the 4/0. Just be sure to rig the bait before you tie it to the line. Force the eye of the hook into the head of the bait in kind of a reverse of the usual T-rig so they weighted part doesn't tear up the head, tie it on, then rig weedless. Works well and they look great in the water.
Old 02-28-08, 07:54 PM   #16
WIUbassin

My Luck E Strike Bass Magic 4.5s are definately hollow. There is a hole in the tail that runs to the head.
Old 03-06-08, 07:30 PM   #17
links_man2

Here are the LFT Swimbait hooks. I like the 7/0 for the 4.5" baits and 10/0 for the 6.5" baits. These have enough gap even with the weight to handle the large bulk of plastic on these large swim baits.

http://www.fishingworld.com/Brannans...%20Hook%203204
Old 03-09-08, 09:30 PM   #18
DaHorns
BassFishin.Com Member

I found the Owner Twistlock in a 5/0 or 6/0 work great with the 5.5" Bass Magic swimbaits. I also have been using the rubber cored weights found in the terminal tackle sections to weight the hooks. I remove the rubber core, slide the weight on the hook just below the eye and then crimp it with some pliers. Much cheaper than buying weighted hooks, IMO.
DaHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 01:00 PM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

The 5.5's look kinda big. I think I should have purchased the 4.5s but went with the 5.5s since I usually fish 5" stickbaits. I don't know why, they just look big.
Old 03-10-08, 03:40 PM   #20
DaHorns
BassFishin.Com Member

Big bait, big fish..........
DaHorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.