Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-11, 03:49 PM   #1
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Whats with these crazy clearance sales ?

Shimano retailers have been dumping the E model reels like hot potatoes recently. Some retailer are holding out for full price, but we have all seen these crazy clearance sales. This last one I saww was almost obscene with Citicas at 50 bucks and curados at 76 bucks. I remember when shimano brought out the D model reels. There wasn't any clearance sales on the 200 b or bsf reels that I remeber seeing. As a matter of fact, some retailers raised the price on the last few B model reels they had. Ebay sales of B model reels sky rocketed also. I sold my B reels at that time also. Mine were about 6 to 7 years old but in nice shape. I sold them for an average of $180 each. Thats a full 40 to 50 dollar profit over the purchase price and I used them for years. Thats not happening this time around. But do you think Shimano has encouraged retailer to do a fast sell off ? I think so.I think they want all the E reels gone before the G reels hit the shelves. No E reels in the store to compare to the G reels. This crazy discount though is not really fair to shimano customers though. What does this say to the guy that bought several at full price just a few months ago? What about the fact that shimano has always had a fair resale value you could count on? This has effectivly destroyed the resale value of these reels. Maybe you will see values come back up in several years when most folks have forgoten about the clearance prices, but most floks won't pay double for a used reel over what they saw them sell for new. What do you think?
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 05:00 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree. Look at the Chronarch mg. They were heavily discounted and now they are going back up in price. I wonder how many people order rods and reels from BPS and Cabelas and pay full price? I always look for deals. I might have paid full price for one or two rods and a Revo (to get the revo hat). Do you remember when Wally world had Curados all the way down to $25? Your right Kevin, people forget.
Old 08-12-11, 05:15 PM   #3
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Curuda's for $76? Where? Where? Where?

I just paid $98 for a Citica and $138 for a 51e!
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 05:17 PM   #4
bassinbob

Try Dick's. They had Citicas going for 70 and Curados going for 112 around here.
Old 08-12-11, 05:48 PM   #5
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbassin4fun View Post
Curuda's for $76? Where? Where? Where?

I just paid $98 for a Citica and $138 for a 51e!
sorry guy. That sale lastet about 4 hours yesterday before they were sold out. last i checked they still had the 6000 size stradic for under 100 bucks though. I just don't know who needs a giant spinnng reel.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 05:49 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Interesting observation. I can definitely see shimano not wanting customers to compare the E and G side by side.. but hey, maybe my next reel will be a Curado E rather then a Lews if they do go for so little on ebay in the near future.
Old 08-12-11, 08:18 PM   #7
bassboogieman

You're right about one thing - those clearance prices can knock the crap out of the secondary market. I've seen it with other brands too, and if you're one of the unfortunate guys trying to sell used items that are being dumped in clearance or had been recently, you are going to loose some money. Just last week I saw some Shimano's offered used that the asking price was above that clearance sale price at West Marine. Clearance sales are good for the guy looking to add or upgrade, bad for the guy trying to sell.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 12:29 AM   #8
Bender

I don't know why they are doing it, but it seems to be working in my favor. I like the E series, but really like the Bs. In the past year I've probably bought 6 Bs (2 are Scorpions) for decent prices. I still kick myself to this day for not filling up my credit card with Chronarch Mgs when they were $150 or less.

Maybe the resale of the Es will jump up after the G comes out. I'm not impressed with what I have read about that reel so far. Looks like it will be old ones or Cores/Calais for me. That might be also be their strategy to get people like me to make that jump up.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 07:37 PM   #9
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Show me Citicas for $50 bucks and I'll buy 4 like that. Curoado's under a 80 and I'll jump on several of those too!! I've seen some clearances, but I go buy (pun intended) Dicks almost every day, and the lowest Citicas have been is -$98, and Curados for $129
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 11:50 PM   #10
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
Show me Citicas for $50 bucks and I'll buy 4 like that. Curoado's under a 80 and I'll jump on several of those too!! I've seen some clearances, but I go buy (pun intended) Dicks almost every day, and the lowest Citicas have been is -$98, and Curados for $129
Like Pro Reel said, West Marine was sold out the day they started that sale.

BB
Old 08-16-11, 07:36 AM   #11
lilmule

Think of it this way used Citicas at 50 bucks and curados at 76 bucks,are worth about 25 and 33 dollars max in great shape,less if not.Now that they arnt worth much maybe can afford one of those previous 129 dollar reels.
Truth be told had a Citica gave it away as junk,line kept going behind the spool at the side and wrapping up therfore had to take apart every so often and unwrap it.
Shucks just read that last one sold out.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 08:56 PM   #12
bassinbob

Got a Citica for $50 sunday. If it ends in .97 it's half off. That's at Dick's.
Old 08-16-11, 11:10 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Is that just in the stores, Bob, or online? I couldn't find any Citicas on their website...
Old 08-17-11, 04:27 PM   #14
bassinbob

Just in the stores. Ask a sales associate to check the price for you if it isn't marked. Or take up to the register.
Old 08-17-11, 07:18 PM   #15
rrw4258

Yep I just cleaned out my local DSG... 3 citicas for $49.99 each!

Ryan
Old 08-17-11, 09:14 PM   #16
jasonfish320

That's a ridiculous price on citicas .. They are great reels
Old 08-18-11, 12:02 PM   #17
DVT Mike

I don't get it either. This has all been publicized enough to not come as a shock. It would hurt the Chronarch sales initially but I'd be tempted to sell the Curado inventory (with the same specs as the new Chronarch)at it's original price which would be a discount over the new Chronarch. The only thing I can think of that they need to turn over the inventory.
Old 08-19-11, 02:49 AM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Maybe the CPA of the forum can justify my statement, but could it be a tax reason. I don't know how it works, but say they had a stock they bought at a price and planned on making 159 for them for the profit. Well they are selling them at 60%. Could they claim a loss on what they should have made. I mean that could be shown as a big chunk of loss with a high inventory and lower their earnings on the year. But then again, I am just thinking and you know where that can get us sometimes.
And then I think, if they are selling them this cheap and probably still making a profit, how much did they have to pay for them. Like a tootsie roll pop, the world may never know how much it takes to get to the center of it.
Old 08-19-11, 11:39 AM   #19
MississippiBoy

Went to the Dick's in Madison, about 5 miles from the house....only 1 Citica in stock, and it must've been the newest one, because it wasn't on sale, and was listed for I think $149. There's another Dick's about 15 miles from here, I might check them out later on.
Old 08-19-11, 12:59 PM   #20
DVT Mike

Something's wrong there. The Citica G retail price is $129.99 at least as of ICAST
Old 08-19-11, 06:34 PM   #21
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Something's wrong there. The Citica G retail price is $129.99 at least as of ICAST
I could very easily be wrong....I just looked at it, saw the price was a good bit over $100, and put it back on the display. It could've been $129, I didn't pay close enough attention.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.