Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-11, 10:05 AM   #1
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Troll motor numbers

Was out on the local, electric only, lake the other evening when I had to run from a thunderstorm. So while I'm cruising back to the ramp I notice that my troll motor is not putting out near the thrust what it should. The label on top of the motor say 82. The label on me says that I'm 63. Somewhere, the troller and I swapped numbers. It says 82, I figure it is putting out less than 63. I'm 63 and figure I'm putting out at about the rate of an 82 yr. old. One of us needs to be replaced. Since the wife has no say in this decision, I figure I'll go for the new troll motor.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 10:18 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ha ha if you want another good laugh tell her your going to trade her for two 36 year olds,then duck.
Also pays to check the batteries as they get older they wont hold as much juice either.
Seldom does an electric troller get weaker,ive been using one for 8 years,have several dating back quite a ways and still good,just not enough thrust for the heavier boats in bad conditions.Batteries tend to last a couple of years and go downhill from there.My former 12 v got me back in 8 miles out-5 hrs,but my 24 v would do 6 out and back but both be slow when i got to the ramp.Ive watched the ramp for an hr and a half prior to making it,cure was tad more thrust for wind that comes along with the thunderboomers.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-22-11 at 10:30 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 10:46 AM   #3
bassboogieman

If they are wet cell batteries, make sure the water level is good. I don't have many suggestions for recharging the human battery, other than possibly a trip to Hooters.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 11:44 AM   #4
Top Tiger

Both batteries were purchased in Jan. of this year. Water levels are good and they are kept fully charged. The old MotorGuide is probably at least 20 yrs old.
It's a hand control model with a foot switch. It's been drawing so many amps that it finally welded the foot switch closed. I took that out of the circuit thinking that that was the problem, it wasn't. I think this motor is just tired.
Old 08-22-11, 06:36 PM   #5
lilmule

Had one do the same once,opened the head up and a wire had come loose from its terminal is all.Also have one even a tad older gooseneck omc think 42 pds,foot control need one?Have someone comin thru pick it up,im near paris landing tn.
Also have 70 pd hand (24v)id take off for a bit o money,as have that ol thing as a spare.
70 pds of thrust almost puts an allison on plane,or seems like it about 5mph.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 06:26 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I don't have many suggestions for recharging the human battery, other than possibly a trip to Hooters.
Bruce definately knows what he's talking about! Just make sure you've still got a good ticker before you go.
Old 08-24-11, 09:04 AM   #7
Top Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Had one do the same once,opened the head up and a wire had come loose from its terminal is all.Also have one even a tad older gooseneck omc think 42 pds,foot control need one?Have someone comin thru pick it up,im near paris landing tn.
Also have 70 pd hand (24v)id take off for a bit o money,as have that ol thing as a spare.
70 pds of thrust almost puts an allison on plane,or seems like it about 5mph.
I could really be interested in that 70 pounder. PM me with details and we can go from there. I've got 2 spare S.S. props and a like new hotfoot if you're interested in swap.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.