Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-10, 09:01 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Windows PC Defender

I have this little icon down there that says it needs to scan my computer. I had this on my last computer , and I couldnt get rid of , so I bought a new computer and installed windows 7 , and the most expensive norton i could find , and there it is again...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 09:16 PM   #2
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

You have to go and disable it in the control panel security setting.

BTW,... Norton's is NOT worth the money. Window 7 has a free security suite in essentials that works seamlessly and won't hog your resources like Norton's or McAfee.

Take a look.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx
nmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 09:20 PM   #3
muddy

Hey can you explain that to a computer dummy. I have Norton for the 4 years i own this computer, never slow and not one infiltration in 4 years. almost time to renew. Can you explain why the microsft is better, before i plunk dopwn another 80 bucks?
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 09:28 PM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
I have this little icon down there that says it needs to scan my computer. I had this on my last computer , and I couldnt get rid of , so I bought a new computer and installed windows 7 , and the most expensive norton i could find , and there it is again...
sounds like spyware, not a virus. You should be able download free spyware software.

Whatever you do, don't click on it!!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 10:01 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tae it to a shop, i did when mine got a virus from trying to download some screen savers and such. My shopman said the microsoft anti-virus is the best on the market today. Just my 2 cents worth. And it only cost me $50.00 total. Clean out and reboot.
Old 01-27-10, 10:49 PM   #6
nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Hey can you explain that to a computer dummy. I have Norton for the 4 years i own this computer, never slow and not one infiltration in 4 years. almost time to renew. Can you explain why the microsft is better, before i plunk dopwn another 80 bucks?
Because it's free and virus software is NOT rocket science to make like it use to be.

Also operating systems are better at using the newer software to stop infiltrations. Heck, some Cable modems provided by the cable companies have their own virus protection built in so it never gets close to your computer. Nortons is surviving on hangers on and those that don't keep up with the ever changing industry.

I'm not saying that Norton's wont work and they may have got better at using resources. Ultimately you need to use what you feel good about.

I just said it's not worth the money with the other offerings out there, especially for Windows 7.
Old 01-28-10, 12:19 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

A guy I go to church with tthat is a computer repairman recommended Super Anti Spywear & Malware Bytes when I had a trojan. They can be downloaded from a Google search. What got me is that the trojan got passed Norton, but then when I reported it, they wanted another $100 to remove it. SAS cleared it out without any problems though. And Malware is just used as another scanner. They both remove a lot of cookies that Norton never picks up.
Old 01-28-10, 12:39 AM   #8
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanley View Post
Because it's free and virus software is NOT rocket science to make like it use to be.

Also operating systems are better at using the newer software to stop infiltrations. Heck, some Cable modems provided by the cable companies have their own virus protection built in so it never gets close to your computer. Nortons is surviving on hangers on and those that don't keep up with the ever changing industry.

I'm not saying that Norton's wont work and they may have got better at using resources. Ultimately you need to use what you feel good about.

I just said it's not worth the money with the other offerings out there, especially for Windows 7.

Thanks for that information, I will look into it.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 01:09 AM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I use AVG. Antivirus and spyware all in one, and it's free. Been using it for 2-3 years with zero problems
Old 01-28-10, 01:50 AM   #10
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post

If I understand you correctly, you think that Windows defender is a virus of sorts? Microsoft created Windows defender for XP service pack 2 and beyond to compete with bigger computer security companies. I think windows defender only protects against spyware and not viruses so norton can do that.

If you think it is just windows telling you that you need to scan your computer you should click on the baloon and do a scan though windows defender and it will shut up. Or you can just turn it off through control panel.

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 01-28-10 at 02:02 AM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 04:49 AM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
A guy I go to church with tthat is a computer repairman recommended Super Anti Spywear & Malware Bytes when I had a trojan. They can be downloaded from a Google search. What got me is that the trojan got passed Norton, but then when I reported it, they wanted another $100 to remove it. SAS cleared it out without any problems though. And Malware is just used as another scanner. They both remove a lot of cookies that Norton never picks up.
I too got hit by a trojan that got past what I once thought was a tough shield by norton. I was upset, but I reckon things can happen. I wound up having to jump through some norton hoops but eventually got it resolved. I might not go with norton once the license expires. I have heard mixed reviews on the microsoft program, but on the other side of the coin, I reckon 10^-6 soft ought to know a thing or two about viruses and the like since it's their stuff that seems susceptible to it. I have also heard good things about SAS and Malware.
Old 01-28-10, 10:02 AM   #12
nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I use AVG. Antivirus and spyware all in one, and it's free. Been using it for 2-3 years with zero problems

Rumor is that AVG is going to stop free updating the free version. I haven't verifiyed this yet but the standard windows firewall and AVG has worked for YEARS on all my computers.

On my only Windows 7 machine, this laptop, I'm using the Windows Security Essentials from the link I posted in my first post. Works great even traveling to other states and hotels.
Old 01-28-10, 10:06 AM   #13
doc

You have maleware on your system, you need malewarebytes Use the free version it works great. Keep this along with your antivirus protection. It should get the stuff your av misses.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 10:40 AM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanley View Post
Rumor is that AVG is going to stop free updating the free version. I haven't verifiyed this yet but the standard windows firewall and AVG has worked for YEARS on all my computers.

On my only Windows 7 machine, this laptop, I'm using the Windows Security Essentials from the link I posted in my first post. Works great even traveling to other states and hotels.

Yeah, I'm hoping they don't. If so, I'd probably start paying them. I have my windows firewall turned off.
Old 02-04-10, 11:08 PM   #15
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As a computer tech, here are my suggestions:

anti-virus: Avira (or Microsoft Security Essentials)
firewall: Comodo
spyware: Spyware Blaster and Spyware Terminator

other maintenance: CCleaner (cleans up old temp files and also has a registry cleaner)

Best part about all of these is they are all 100% free unless you choose to pay for the paid versions which I found is not needed.

I used to suggest AVG but they have gotten worse with their virus protection and use a lot more of the system memory/performance so I cannot suggest it anymore. Same for other programs like MalwareBytes and many of the other programs out there. They tend to cause more problems than they help with.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.