Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-10, 07:17 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A Strike Against BPS Reels

Does anyone know of a resource from which I can order specific BPS reel parts? A small plastic tab broke off on the internal magnetic brake on my Extreme, and according to the kid behind the desk at the store, I can send it in for $15 + labor, which seems like a huge waste considering I know whats broke and how to fix it...

Or is this how they make their money, in which case it would be, as my title suggested, a strike against BPS reels in my book (the monkey would probably like it though)
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 07:41 PM   #2
nofearengineer

WTL, did your reel come with a schematic? I know you know how to fix it, but unless you know the exact name of the part, as BPS would refer to it, I'd bet they're not going to help you order one.
Old 01-23-10, 07:50 PM   #3
WTL

I dont have it if it did.

The kid behind the counter at BPS seemed to think all they could do, in any case, was send the reel in and me pay labor and shipping in addition to what must be a $2 part. What I am wondering is, if this kid was correct, and the parts arent available at all, or if there is some place I can get them.
Old 01-23-10, 07:54 PM   #4
nofearengineer

I chekced my favorite place, Mike's Reel Repair, and he doesn't have diddley. I have a bad feeling it's going to be that way everywhere.
Old 01-23-10, 09:33 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

WTL, I'd try to get a number for BPS's repair center and see if they can send you one.

BB
Old 01-24-10, 12:10 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have heard from 2 guys that reel companies do not sell individual parts too much anymore individual persons and those who are not authorized dealers. They are knocking out the little man who makes a living or spare change maintaining and repairing reels with there big brother, pay me $15-50 for a $2 job. It's a shame isn't it?
Old 01-24-10, 12:54 AM   #7
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Outdoor World Rod and Reel Repair
2300 East Turner, Suite M
Springfield, MO. 65803

(417) 873-5274 Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Give them a call they sent me a new side cover late Aug., got it in 3 days.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 12:55 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I won't buy any reel I can't buy parts for. That's a disgraceful business model.
Old 01-24-10, 10:34 AM   #9
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova385 View Post
Outdoor World Rod and Reel Repair
2300 East Turner, Suite M
Springfield, MO. 65803
(417) 873-5274 Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Give them a call they sent me a new side cover late Aug., got it in 3 days.
They have parts, readily available. I have dealt with them before, excellent and they have had the 2 parts I needed , One for an Extreme and the other for a Pro Qualifier, they were to my door within 3 days of purchasing them. This is the only place to get their parts, as it is owned by BPS
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 11:09 AM   #10
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
They have parts, readily available. I have dealt with them before, excellent and they have had the 2 parts I needed , One for an Extreme and the other for a Pro Qualifier, they were to my door within 3 days of purchasing them. This is the only place to get their parts, as it is owned by BPS
Good deal, that would work.

Knowing how many fishermen out there are do it yourselfers, I could almost not imagine them not making parts available somehow. If I found it out to be true, I would never have bought another BPS reel as lets face it, BPS reels do have a few durability issues.
Old 01-24-10, 11:46 AM   #11
muddy

Some do. so do some she man os and Daiwas. The good thing about BPS is their willingness to swap out a reel, almost no questions asked if there is an issue. I had an Extreme that I stripped a screw on the line returner I was in Tenn, took it to the Memphis store, told them it was my fault ,and with no recipt they swapped it out for a new one. Nothing mechanical is perfect and I rather ABU's at this point, they are definitely a lot more durable than what I could afford from BPS. The gear quality alone was enough to get me to jump ship.

Opps sorry forgot: It depends also on what store you are at, The Hamburg store and I had a run in as they advertised a Pro Qualifer combo a few years back and when i went there ( 2 hour drive) the rod was not the usual one in the combo ( as I had one already) it was a cheaper model, the STORE MANAGER had no clue and I had the old rod as proof? He did not even know some of the reels they carried and refused to make good on the combo, even though their store flyer showed the other rod in the picture. \
The Memphis store and one I went to in Texas were the exact oppisite experiences as the satff was polite and knowlegeable. I find my few dealings left with them goes better through the internet site.

Last edited by muddy; 01-24-10 at 11:53 AM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 12:02 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

A couple years ago, when they redid most of their rods slightly and added hook hangers to them, they sold the previous year's models in combos w/o advertising them as the previous year's models. I found this out when I looked at the newer ones and they wouldn't give me the new one in the combo price. That's ok, not a big fan of BPS rods anyways.

BB
Old 01-24-10, 09:49 PM   #13
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have an 05 extreme and if I had a dollar for every cast I've made with it half of us could retire. I have 5 of them now. I get the last year models at bass pro when they go on clearance. For the money you can't beat them. That's just my 2cents.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.