Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-11, 04:15 PM   #1
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default First impressions of my first Daiwa Baitcaster

So, after a few days of being anxious of it coming in, it finally arrived. I bought into the monkey and picked up a Daiwa Tierra for $70. Cool thing was, the guy was also generous enough to throw in a spinnerbait, buzzbait, and three packs of soft plastics in there with it! Barely any markings on it, all I can see are 4 nicks the size of the head of a pin and a few marks on the reel seat, so it's 8.5/10 or so condition. It isn't a very light reel but it isn't very heavy. It's 8.8oz (I think). After a few quick turns of the handle it feels relatively smooth. Not a buttery smooth but a more connecting feeling (like you Daiwa guys always talked about). And the sound after a cast while engaging the reel is different from anything I've ever heard, lol. It's like a click.

Oh yeah, clicks. A micro-click star drag is pretty sweet too. The blue matte finish on the reel is very comfortable even while wet. I finally went and spooled some line on it (just some 12lb Big Game that I had lying around) and put it on a 6' M rod just to test some casting. Tied a Spinnerbait on and whew a nice smooth cast. It's a very quiet reel on the cast. I played with the settings a bit and found that I didn't really like the dial on the magnetic braking system. It seemed a little fragile, and sometimes I would push it way too far one way or the other on accident. Maybe I'm just over-thinking it though. I think I would have preferred the metallic silver dial like on the Sol, Viento, etc. But this is a lower-priced reel than them hence no fancy magnetic brake dial

Still looking for a rod to match with it, more than likely it's going to be a Lamiglas Excel but I'm keeping my eyes open for anything. I may post pics later but I don't know. Can't wait to fish with it. I'm out.

Oh and forgot about the drag. It's very smooth, but a little too light for my tastes. Come on they could squeeze at least 11-12lbs in there if they could. Has an 8lb drag I think.
Old 03-31-11, 06:58 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cool chuck. Sounds like a good reel, I think you'll like it!

You got any reels to compare it to that are the same price range?
Old 03-31-11, 07:20 PM   #3
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah I'm pumped for fishing this weekend.

Own? No. I just fish a few different BPS "Extreme" reels. It's obviously better than them. I've fished a Citica too and it's noticeably smoother (I see why with 3 more bearings). Now I just need to find a good deal on a Excel rod.
Old 03-31-11, 08:16 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thanks for the insight pal. now fish it and give another report if oyu don't mind buddy.
Old 03-31-11, 08:20 PM   #5
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a steal. You'll love it.
Old 04-01-11, 05:55 AM   #6
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

DAIWA....... BOOOOOOOO..........should have bought a real reel
(That one's for Anthony.....)

But for real, congrats on the new reel, I had a prodigy which was a similar reel, and it served me well.

Ryan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.