Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-11, 11:04 AM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default River tourn #2

Had a mid-week get together on the river and was going to fish with my dad, who was in town, but my boat/trailer was still in the shop. Got paired up with a newbie but he's got a 20' Cat so all three of us went fishing.
Started on a main creek gravel point and saw bait busting but couldn't get a sniff. Moved back to some canes and marsh grass and hit a short fish on a chatterbait. Continued down the bank and saw bait busting and fish rolling on a point. Turns out the 20lb carp were doing whale imitations. Amazing to watch those fish propel themselves out of the water and then come crashing down.
No fish there so we kept moving. Finally hit a couple fish on the chatterbait and switched everyone over to chatterbaits, speed worms, baby 1's, or flukes. It was on ! Boat caught 8-10 bass with 3 keepers in the next half hour. Only problem was the wind kicked up and the tide slowed. So we ran across the river to another similar location but better protected from the wind and would be a great outgoing tide spot.
The creek we were now in was much muddier than the previous one but I knew it would hold some keepers. Hit a point and caught three bass but only one kept. Ran to a couple other spots and found bucks (13-14" fish) on laydowns and we got into them pretty good but no keepers. Everyone caught fish so it was a good day.....until !!!
Yep we headed out to weigh in and with the south winds and tide running the opposite direction I knew things would get a little rough......little did I know. We faced 4-6 foot swells and with a newbie (with a bass boat) behind the wheel, he does have years of boating experience, things were ugly. Huge logs were floating down the river from the recent rains and the swells were hiding them. Kept telling him to trim up to get the front end up and to change his angle but because of the logs and he didn't have the experience in a bass boat to understand what was about to happen.....
100 gallons of nice brown river water came over the front end and hit me square in the chest. Knocked the wind out of me. Fortunately all was well. No damage or lost rods and everything was intact. Except for us getting drenched but I didn't have a console in front of me .

Pic of me with one of my keepers and Papa Joe with his 3lb keeper. Interested in seeing what a 16lb snakehead looks like??? Well here's the Major with one and a close up so you can see the coloration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0001.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	6645   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0003.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	6646   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0006.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	6648   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0002.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	6649  
Old 04-25-11, 11:18 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like a rough day, at least a few fish made it worth it right? 100 gallons of water to the chest sounds kinda fun actually!
Old 04-25-11, 11:24 AM   #3
MIbasser

Ah, nothing like spearing a wave! I've only done that a couple of times....

How did you guys finish up?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 11:31 AM   #4
3dkicker

I weighed 3 for 6.8lbs and 7th place out of 14 (?? don't know the exact count). Major had 3 for 7.0 just pushing me out of 6th. My dad only weighed the one fish at 3.2lbs. Walt (newbie) didn't catch a keeper but caught his record number of fish ever for a tournament......kind of what the club is about. Teaching each other how and where to catch fish on different bodies of water.

Boss - It was a wall of water!!! Drenched us all but I was in the center with no protection in front of me.
Old 04-25-11, 12:48 PM   #5
Bender

It is not very much fun to spear waves, and I haven't done it since I moved out of Michigan a couple years ago. Last time I felt really bad for my partner since I have a single console boat.

I don't think there are words to describe how it feels when you really spear one, you just have to experience it for yourself. Maybe a little like if you did a belly smacker from 15' above that 45 degree water you were talking about Boss.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 01:32 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
It is not very much fun to spear waves, and I haven't done it since I moved out of Michigan a couple years ago. Last time I felt really bad for my partner since I have a single console boat.

I don't think there are words to describe how it feels when you really spear one, you just have to experience it for yourself. Maybe a little like if you did a belly smacker from 15' above that 45 degree water you were talking about Boss.
ooo... maybe that don't sounds so fun. lol
Old 04-25-11, 05:24 PM   #7
bamabassman

i get out of the water if there is a LITTLE white capping. hate windy days like that.

nice pics smitty.
Old 04-25-11, 06:39 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sounds like a good time! Cept for the drenchin!
Old 04-26-11, 03:52 PM   #9
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i get out of the water if there is a LITTLE white capping. hate windy days like that.nice pics smitty.
White caps are one thing but these are rollers and are caused by the outgoing tide (heading south) and the south winds (heading north). Combine the two and you get a mess on the river. Add in the floating debry, laydowns and logs 10-15' long and 2-3' thick, and you've got some serious waves coming at you. If you know how to run them it takes a while but you can manage them. Just be prepared to take some spray over the sides....
Old 04-26-11, 08:07 PM   #10
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Thats a monster snakehead! Glad to hear you guys only got wet things can get nasty out there in a hurry

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.