Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-11, 03:08 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Any experience on here with Micro Guides?

Has anyone tried any of the rods with micro guides? I’m going to get the BPS carbonlite in either the regular guides or micro. The micro is surprisingly lighter than the regular carbonlite, but I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has tried the micro guides on any brand rod.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 03:39 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I personally love micros and will probably only build my personal rods with them when the application allows for it.
I noticed a casting and sensitivity gain from using them....Less line slap..smoother transition from the reel to tip (the smoothness in casting is quite nice)..Helps reduce tip heaviness...Less rod tangle/line wrapping around the guides.

But the trade off....Get dirty real quick in dirty water...The guides quickly collect debris off the line during a retrieve..They also ice up really quick...I fished in January with them and the icing up was so bad ,I almost had to put the rod down...It was freezing temps though.

I say give the micros a shot...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised like I was.
Old 02-03-11, 04:20 PM   #3
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post

Has anyone tried any of the rods with micro guides? I’m going to get the BPS carbonlite in either the regular guides or micro. The micro is surprisingly lighter than the regular carbonlite, but I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has tried the micro guides on any brand rod.

That’s an interesting thought as far as the buildup of debris in the guides. I’m going to use it with braid so I wonder how much that would affect the buildup. But I guess it’s not like I’ll be casting into mud or anything so it shouldn’t matter much. I hope.
Old 02-03-11, 04:54 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a few rods with micro guides and I love them. They are a lot lighter and cast so much more smooth is unreal. Casting distance is without a doubt much better with the micros as well. I have yet to experience any down side to them. I haven't had trouble with debris building up in them but maybe I have just been lucky.

I am sure that Nofear will be a long soon to rain on our parade though, he has failed to see the light with the micro guides lol.
Old 02-03-11, 05:11 PM   #5
Jrob78

I have about 7 rods with micro guides and a few more on the way. There is a ton of upside with very little downside. I fish braid on mine with no issue whatsoever. I haven't had much trouble with debris either but as was mentioned, they aren't good for sub-freezing temperature or passing leader knots.

Give them a try, I think you will be happy with the decision.
Old 02-03-11, 05:40 PM   #6
fish4942

I think I will go for it. I definitely won't be fishing in zub zero temps.
Old 02-03-11, 05:57 PM   #7
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Almost every bass/redfish rod I build now has microguides. If I send somebody out with a micro rod about 75% specify microguides for the build. A product called "Braid Aid "clears up freezing /noise problems. The only downside is wrapping a very small foot. I saw a post re: problems about wrapping Fuji 4's... wait till he does batson 2.5'S
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 09:39 PM   #8
bamabassman

ol ZOOKER left me with 3 micro guide rods.........LOVE THEM!! IF and WHEN i cana ford it, i am gonna have my remainding rods micro-ed. i can sling a bait at least 30% farther with a micro guide rod.
Old 02-04-11, 08:46 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I just built a spiral wrap with #4 micros for a friend and I hated to see it leave. I coated the thread with color preserver just for a glue purpose, and I ended up loving it and casting it so much I had to re-wrap most of the guides. My next personal builds will deffinately be micros though. I was throwing a Bandit 200 crank 35-40 steps on a 6'6" rod without muscling up and it is smooth as silk.
Old 02-04-11, 10:17 AM   #10
DVT Mike

Like everything else, micros have their place. When used correctly, they offer real advantages as have been mentioned. If icing ever was a concern, this can be combated somewhat by using REC recoil guides. I build steelhead rods with them for just this reason. A light tap resonates through the rod and guides and usually knocks the ice right off. I believe micros aid in casting accuracy as well. I use the anology of a gun barrel. A tighter fitting barrel will shoot closer to where you point than one where the bullet can slosh around from side to side. Micros come in a range of sizes, so consider any knots you'll want to pass for leaders etc. I pass an Albright knot with 50lb PP and a 17lb fluoro leader through a Fuji #4 guide with no problem but anything smaller would need testing.
Old 02-04-11, 08:33 PM   #11
Imgoodatwhatido

I have used both micro and the regular guides in the carbonlite and i LOVEEEE the micro guides. I only wish they made the medium moderate in a micro but they dont. I built a crankin rod tho and will mostl likely be replacin the regular guides with micros.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 04:19 PM   #12
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

My grandson bought the Carbonlite 7' MH micro guide baitcaster and paired it with a Citica 200E and he is crazy about it.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 04:47 PM   #13
mrmuskie5

micros only suck when you have duck weed or some other surface funk and are usng braid other than that they are the bomb!
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 10:20 AM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I am sure that Nofear will be a long soon to rain on our parade though, he has failed to see the light with the micro guides lol.

HAHA....no worries, Kory. I have given up trying to herd cats.
If you guys like them, more power to you. I'll always be available to voice my opinion.
Old 02-08-11, 06:21 PM   #15
bamabassman

bryce..if you haven't tried a micro rod i'll let you throw one of mine.
Old 02-08-11, 06:31 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Your wasting your breath John, he already has his mind made up
Old 02-08-11, 09:37 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Do I have to keep a good grip on it, John?
Old 02-08-11, 09:39 PM   #18
bamabassman

if you want to remain living bryce. zooker gave them to me. his mother and sister will be there too. so..........you wanna try to "throw" it still?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.