Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-06, 04:45 PM   #1
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default BPS getting limited

I can't believe they don't carry Stanley anymore at the one by me. Lots of other stuff too. Stren flurocarbon, various models of reels, and tons of lesser known plastics manufacturers. I think it's because they're trying to sell the store brand and selling other products at comparable prices hurts their bottom line. BPS products are fairly decent for their price, but I need a specific Stanley spinnerbait that they used to carry and don't anymore.
Old 01-14-06, 07:58 PM   #2
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

as far as iknow,there are stanley spinner baits in the catolog,and i find bass pro shop's equipment benificial imo
Old 01-14-06, 08:12 PM   #3
bass kicker

i find the hand made spinnerbaits that you by from a local bait shop work better then the name brand ones

trust me on this start throwing spinners that were made by a nobody company and you will catch more fish or at least i noticed

i own over 500 spinner baits from a local tackle maker
Old 01-14-06, 08:21 PM   #4
Marty

They have a couple of Stanley SBs on their web site.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 12:06 AM   #5
Fishie

I like the Stanley compact spinnerbaits. Use to be a fav for me. Three years ago I caught probably 60 percent of my fish on them in the spring.
Old 01-15-06, 07:08 AM   #6
pig n jig

I have been saying that since 2 years ago.They never seem to carry the good products for very long like they used to and they change their products so much, its difficult to know if something works , because something is replaced it before it has a chance to become popular.I am not going to buy any Bass pro shop product, because once you buy it it is outdated, within 3 years, there are 3 new products bearing the same name, but totally different products.Even Shimano dumped the famous Curado reel that had to have millions sold, for a upgraded high dollar Curado version. Haven't they ever heard of if it ain't broken, don't fix it ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 07:48 AM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no pnj the thing you are not getting is. they make a million of one type of reel. some one figures out how to make the same reel cheaper while charging MORE for it.. this is called GREED. i find that in the fishing industry as a whole there is a 50% markup..for example 2.99 zoom worms only cost them $1.00 to make,package, handle, and ship to the tackle store which makes $.50 each more. the rest is profit..

the old saying "if it anit broke don't fix it." should be change to if it anit broke some one is going to fix it.. belive me i love the old 310,1310 quatum mg reel the new verison just sucks. i have as you know a reel that is at least 20 years old. still works very well. i have torn the gears out of a new style 1310 mg recently.because they are all cheaply made and full of plastic. nah i will buy any old style quatum reel i find. and i guess you just have to stay with the times and buy the newer-much crappier-reel..

zooker
Old 01-15-06, 09:00 AM   #8
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You can still get the original curado. The older citica is the one they completely discontinued. Reels don't have but a 5% markup...at least that's the way it was 6 or 7 yrs. ago. If we sold a Garcia Pro Max for $150.00 it cost us $140.00 from garcia. Baits on the other hand...espeacially soft plastics ussually have a 100 % mark up or more. Crankbaits are ussually around a 60% to 70% mark up. I do agree the "redesigned" curado and citica at thier new higher prices has been done purely out of greed. And they probably do mark up reels higher than they used to. I said it on an earlier post What all these manufacturers are doing with reels is bogus and it always pisses me off when I start looking at a catalogue and what reel prices have become but the quality isn't justifiable. The reels maybe be a little better. But no way is that $400.00 calcuta $250.00 better than the original.
Old 01-15-06, 12:26 PM   #9
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

The Stanley spinnerbaits they offer are not what I bought from them before.

It's truly sad about the quality of Shimano reels nowadays. The entire tackle industry really needs a reminder that customer satisfaction is a huge marketing tool for them. When anglers are happy with the quality of their equipment they will stick with that company and while lures and techniques are often kept secret, quality rods and reels are boasted about. With the growth of our sport I believe the production of inferior equipment could be the downfall of many companies that were formerly known as industry leaders.
Old 01-15-06, 01:33 PM   #10
bassnman30

I noticed that they sold the store brand a while back. Less baits from various companies.
Old 01-15-06, 08:10 PM   #11
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

I agree that the quality of a lot of the new products is quite poor. I just put up a display of Shimano reels. The new ones cost 9.99 , the old ones, with the metal body and spools are being clearanced from 40 something down to 32 and change. The new ones are all plastic.
Granted these are low end reels, but the idea is the same with the upper range reels.
I also heard that G. Loomis wants to buy his company back from Shimano, because he does not like what they are doing to his name. This may not be correct, because I have not been able to confirm it.
One other thing to keep in mind, the stores lose a lot of products to theft, which causes them to pass the cost to the customer, by paying lowered prices to the manufactory for those products. They don’t want to raise the sale price if possible. Thus the products are produced at a lower price.
I lose on average 5 combos per week, not to mention the knives, the line and the lures etc.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 07:33 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Very good subject. The quality of alot of stuff out there just blows when it comes to alot of stuff out there. Even though I like shimano reels I dont buy the really high end stuff. I have been fishing the cardiff 100 and 200 reels for 3 years now and no problems so far. No way in he@@ am I gonna pay 400 for a calcutta. AINT HAPPENING There aint that much cost in manufacturing ANY reel. Just like in another post about ambassaduer eon reels. CRAP wouldnt buy those reels again for chit. Bass pro has really gotten outta hand when it comes to there marketing statedgy. They also I know for a fact make dels with SEVERAL companies to have them make a reel or a bait and allow basspro to put there name on it therefore promoting THIER product. The other company still makes a small profit but not as much as if it where their product. So saying that that is why I buy from many other places, that and the fact that me and basspro came real close to going to court over a boat. They finally made it good when they found out I wasnt backing down.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 12:30 PM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I used to think BPS was a dream come true, then it put my local tackle shop out of business. The owners were extremely knowledgable and friendly. They took my sisters and I out on their boat on Lake Michigan for salmon when we were little. I'd spend hours in that store describing every moment of my previous fishing trip to a truly captive audience. When they got new products he'd give me a couple to go test out with the condition that I give a detailed report of how it did. They sold the liveliest bait fish you've ever seen. They hung on for quite awhile due to loyal customers, but they couldn't compete with BPS prices. I nearly cried when they told me they could no longer make ends meet. Ask a BPS employee where the bass are biting and you get a blank stare. You'd think they'd hire some fisherman. Great, now I'm depressed.
Old 01-17-06, 07:27 PM   #14
bassinbob

Geez, I was hoping for a BPS close to me. Wanted to try to get a part time job in the fishing dept. Have to re-think that now. Has anyone experienced the same with Cabela's?

Bob
Old 01-18-06, 12:29 PM   #15
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

Whatever the price is that the stores purchase a lure from the company must stores mark up the price 30%-35% and this is to pay all the employees, bills, and other things needed to run a successful company. If they sold everything for a few cents more than they purchased it most would be out of business within a few months, if they even lasted that long. I think it's more about the American economy today than personal greed but that does play a factor in how the companies extra money is spent. I think that this extra money should go back to the fishermen by sponsoring smaller tournament trails to send some money back to wear it comes from and not to the professional anglers and giving company bonuses.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 01:28 PM   #16
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I don't know that the executives of such places realize how much more money they could make by holding even one competition a year. From a marketing standpoint it's genius. How much money does it take to run an ad on ESPN? Wouldn't some of that money be better spent on local tournaments? Tackle manufacturers could do well with the idea also. I'd like to see more tournaments for kids and maybe even one during free fishing days that alot of states have. Tell me that's not a great idea for getting new customers in the stores and emptying their wallets!
Old 01-18-06, 11:49 PM   #17
basstech

bassinbob, cabela's is no different than Bass Pro. except in the way they market and some of the different stuff they carry. As far as the impact they have on an area when they open up, well it's the same as what wal-marrt does. I'm fortunate in the fact there really is only one decent tackle supplier in the kc metro area that isn't a large discount type store. There is also a cabela's ten minutes from where i work, and going to be a bigger BPS ten minutes from my house. But the "real" bassanglers in this whole metro area know to go to rogers lures in liberty. They may be affected, but I don't think they'll be run out of business. At least I hope not. They carry as much as the Big BPS in springfield and a lot more fishing stuff than Cabela's. Prices are better too.
Krueger, they still have the stanely Wedges' advertised in the 2006 anglers catalogue for BPS. BTW.
Old 01-19-06, 12:56 AM   #18
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Thanks! I'm going to my cousin's wedding in St. Louis in June and staying a week or more. I will make every effort to get there.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.