Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-06, 01:48 PM   #1
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Arguments on the water

I've had tons of 'em with other anglers.

Misidentifying a species is a pet peeve of mine. Sometimes it's forgivable, such as with sunfish, other times it could get people into trouble. That's when I become irate. I once had a guy call the DNR on his cellphone claiming I was poaching trout. First off, I wasn't keeping any fish and all I was getting was northern pike. I taunted that old fool everyday after that, until he quit coming back. Another time, this idiot was loading a bucket with 12 inch smallies and thought they were rock bass.

Once there was a guy, who had his two kids with him, brought a boat down to a pond that is off limits for boats. An old trout fisherman and I warned the dude that the DNR love to take the equipment of law-breakers around there and seem to pop up out of nowhere. He says "I didn't see any sign," even though there's two posted on the only road coming into the area, simple signs with a picture of a boat with an x on it. Sure enough the DNR was waiting for him when he came in. He didn't even have a fishing liscense. He started flipping out at the amounts of the tickets and accused the old man and me of calling the DNR. The DNR agent kept cool until the guy got in his face and then informed him that he no longer owned a boat. Then the guy really freaked. I thought the big DNR agent might have to kick his a$$ in front of his kids, but thankfully that didn't happen.

Please tell me your stories of an occasion when it was hard to keep from beating the sense into someone who tried ruining your good time.
Old 01-15-06, 03:00 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't remember anything as personal as that - but I do know there have been several times that I have almost been run over by airboats and swamped by yachts. Not too much I could do other than assault their ears though, as in all those cases its a hit and run deal. I rememeber one case last year when I was way back in the back of this little creek in my boat, and this guy driving a jet ski with his entire family hanging of the back kept passing me to go all the way up the creek, then coming back down and passing me again, then going back up - all in like 1 foot of water, a 10 foot wide creek. He did this literally 5 or 6 times before I finally told him that I know he might have been to stupid to figure it out, but I was fishing back there and he was swamping my boat for no good reason and that the creek was now closed to his jackass family.
Old 01-15-06, 03:27 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr.
I've had tons of 'em with other anglers.

I once had a guy call the DNR on his cellphone claiming I was poaching trout. First off, I wasn't keeping any fish and all I was getting was northern pike. I taunted that old fool everyday after that, until he quit coming back. Another time, this idiot was loading a bucket with 12 inch smallies and thought they were rock bass.

I stay away from boaters like you when I'm on the water . First off you have called the elderly man two names " idiot and fool" which is very unbecoming of anyone, much less one who says he want's to be a professional in his field. That elderly man could have been me with my grand sons. Be careful how you bragg about your feelings toward others. Good luck
Old 01-15-06, 03:31 PM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Was it you, mr. unregistered? If so, stop being an idiotic old fool who can't tell the difference between a trout and a northern. It is the responsibility of all anglers to know what fish is on their line. If you can't tell, take a picture and let it go. Take the picture to the tackle store and find out what it was. I just don't understand how it is so hard to see the difference between a rock bass and a smallmouth bass. Sometimes people need to be called idiots so they stop acting like idiots.

Last edited by Patrick Krueger, Jr.; 01-15-06 at 03:43 PM.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 04:03 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Was it you, mr. unregistered? If so, stop being an idiotic old fool who can't tell the difference between a trout and a northern. It is the responsibility of all anglers to know what fish is on their line. If you can't tell, take a picture and let it go. Take the picture to the tackle store and find out what it was. I just don't understand how it is so hard to see the difference between a rock bass and a smallmouth bass. Sometimes people need to be called idiots so they stop acting like idiots.
I'm sure we're not fools nor idiots. Those names are not on my evry day list of names to call people. Thank you Sir and have a nice day.
Old 01-15-06, 04:13 PM   #6
WTL

An anonymous person is taking exception to a registered poster on an internet message board calling another unknown person an idiot and fool? That doesn't seem right to me. It seems that the anonymous is just wanting an excuse to preach to the younger generation in this case, and this situation did not necessitate it.
Old 01-15-06, 04:19 PM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

My everyday list of names to call decent folks include buddy, chief, and champ. I'm glad you didn't hear what I called those clowns when it happened. I didn't realize such language would be found so reprehensible by you ,sir. Unless you were the guy who called the DNR on me, I was in no way calling you anything, and apologize if it came across that way.
Old 01-15-06, 04:30 PM   #8
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

I have never had a run-in with anyone on a boat yet. I would always try to be calm and courteous to whomever I was talking to though (I think).
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 04:36 PM   #9
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

Quote:
Misidentifying a species is a pet peeve of mine. Sometimes it's forgivable, such as with sunfish, other times it could get people into trouble. That's when I become irate.
Why let it bother you ? If they want to call a Perch - a Great White Shark - who cares ? All that matters is that you know what you are catching.
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 04:41 PM   #10
Unregistered

Name calling does not offend me in the slightest. But Somewhere sometime someone has undoubtedtly reared you in the wrong direction. Storeing offensive names in your memory bank to use on those that you feel that have crossed you in someway is not a good thing to do to any one.
Old 01-15-06, 04:47 PM   #11
WTL

Sir, someone undoubtedly made a few wrong turns rearing you as well. There was no need for you to start a quarrel, but for whatever reason you desired it. Does it make you feel superior? It sure shouldn't.
Old 01-15-06, 04:56 PM   #12
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I was trying to use inoffensive language.

As to why misidentifying fish bothers me, its because taking 20 smallmouth home to eat every weekend is seriously depleting my fishery. I tried to warn that guy that he could get into trouble for it, since the IL minimum on smallmouth on Lake Michigan is 21 inches and only one per day. I tried showing him their pictures in the state fishing guide and he refused to look!

Enough of the arguing off the water, I just wanted to hear some funny stories.
Old 01-15-06, 05:45 PM   #13
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well patrick listen to a couple more,i do not in any way start arguements in any way but i do take part in them.first of all,there is nothing wrong with argueing,its simpily a form of communication,without we cant exspress our feelingsthe right way.(okay that didnt come out right) but there have benn times i have been fishing a prime spot and someone gets real close to my area i was fishing.then i would KINDLY ask him to move and then we would get in a shouting match.one time after a shouting brawl while they were leaving they tried to hook me with there lure repeadily like they were trying to kill me or something.they kept casting.i got my pliers and i was ready.finally they got lure in the boat,but it got stuckon one of the seats. i cut it off kept the lure and left that area.

man he sure is going to miss that lucky craft
Old 01-15-06, 05:51 PM   #14
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

I was fishing a small lake in NJ. The spot I was fishing was away from the dam and the park with about 300 yards of woods to my right.
Two guys came by without licenses showing. I had my vest with PA NJ and NY on my back very visible. These guys made two or three castes and pulled out bottles of beer. I mentioned that drinking beer in the park was illegal and that the house just up the hill was owned by a State Ranger. The guys told me where to go and how to get there, so I shut up. A very short time later a County Park Cop and a State Ranger came out of the woods and asked for id. He saw mine on my back said ok and asked the others. They put down the beer bottles, and opened their tackle box to get the license. All the while the cop was telling them that they could not drink in the park. As they opened the box, the cop started laughing and the ranger reached for his hand cuffs. These guys had about a pound of marijuana, on the top tray of their box. Both got arrested, and I caught 3 stocked trout, later moved up river and landed a nice LM.
I have never gotten into an argument with a stranger while fishing. It appears I only get yelled at by unregistered folks on this site.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 06:38 PM   #15
dodgeguy

why do we let unregistered people post?
Old 01-15-06, 06:41 PM   #16
JB

I've seen some guys get mouthy about not fishing thier docks, and I can understand that due to many lures that hit the canvas of parked boats and hooks that damage them and other parts of the boat.
The worst arguement I've seen in up at Erie when one big yacht was bossing the boat owner I was with to move, both thought they had rights to the public area, however the bigger boat owner was getting irrate.
It turned out his dog had to go poop lol.
Most guys I know only will harvest walleye or crappie to eat instead of bass, the only exception to that is the football size small mouths up at erie, most will take them home to eat along with walleye.
I personally only take crappie home, and that is only in the colder spring waters of about Easter time around here, the bite goes crazy about the same week flowering crabapple trees bloom.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 07:53 PM   #17
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Personally I suspect that a lot of the “unreg” are folks that are reg on this site and just want to cause trouble. They have nothing better to do, it makes them feel good about themselves by yelling at others.
Perhaps we should just ignore, them other sites allow unregs to only read not write.
Oh well, you have to take the good with the bad.
Most of the folks have some very good ideas and I have learned a lot from them. Others are just so knowledgeable, that I will put up with the nonsense because of all the knowledge I have gained.
Some of the kids make mistakes but I don’t mind those.
The unregs just need to be ignored, or clubbed: )
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 08:31 PM   #18
zooker

i have had a couple little scuffals on the ramp mostly. i waited 30 mintues to back in all unstrapped. boat came up off the trailer. had it long leashed tie off to the dock. this butt head runs down the dock and profanlty tells me to move my truck or else. see this saw off moron was 5'7'' 120 pounds. i told him to piss off. he up and takes a swing at me..well let's just say it ended fast and wet for him..though it did feel good aserting one's self..

zooker
Old 01-15-06, 08:49 PM   #19
JB

I've seen guys do all their pre ramp checking out of the boat right there on the ramp next to the water, and taking forever!
Tempers always seem to flare in the heat of summer and a long line to get to the ramp

/zook,
did ya use that "kung fu' on the little guy or just body slam him into the water, kurt angle style?

Last edited by JB; 01-15-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-15-06, 09:14 PM   #20
zooker

more of a ali right cross that would flatten a buffalo.. only he landed in the drink..

zooker
Old 01-15-06, 09:16 PM   #21
JB

floats like a buttah fly,
stings like a bee
Old 01-16-06, 12:04 AM   #22
bass kicker

one thing that has happened to use in the passed was the POLICE running over our lies while we were fishing from shore

charter boats running over people lines during the great ontario salmon derby

a man that has 20 smallies in a buckit out of season claiming they are sheepheads

we called the game wordin on that *** the smallie fish just started geting better and this man is fishing out of season and keepig 15 over his limit
Old 01-16-06, 12:26 AM   #23
KH.

and i hate dogs barking at me while im fishing,one time someone was shooting golf balls in the water too
Old 01-16-06, 01:01 AM   #24
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

At least the dogs don't act like they own the water, I've been attacked by many a swan. They take a kicking and still come back at ya'.
Old 01-16-06, 02:18 PM   #25
bassnman30

Once went to Lake Norman with a guy. After the tournament he told me that he wasn't going back that way and then stated that I need to find a ride with someone else. I wish he would rejoin the club. Then I could advise him, hey lets go to Norman only this time I would drive. I would do this each and every time I saw him. Come on David rejoin.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.