Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-09, 05:08 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default clearwater beach fishing

I caught a nice black grouper today at low tide under a bridge on some squid this morning, then some fish that looked like a crappie in size but had orange dots or markings on them. I went back to the same spot by my sons condo and got a sea bass and couple of dink catfish. I am amazed at hard these fish pull! 80 lb flourocarben line LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 06:30 PM   #2
Bassboss

Yup! Grouper will make you remember them that night and the next day! It's fun to get into a bunch of snaps and groupers... but not that nigh!

After dinner that is!
Old 10-05-09, 06:49 PM   #3
keithdog

Hey JB, thats my old stompin grounds, lol. Sounds like your havin a ball. Thats great. You can catch some pretty good fish off that Clearwater pier too! I have seen nicce snook swimming around the pilings chasing smaller fish. Have fun my friend.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 10:14 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
... then some fish that looked like a crappie in size but had orange dots or markings on them.
Did it look like this, JB?

What you described sounds like a Mangrove Snapper. They are terrific fun to catch, and even better eating.
Old 10-07-09, 02:36 PM   #5
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The only time in my life I ever wet a hook in saltwater was during a family vacation to Clearwater beach....I was about 15 if I remember correctly....the only thing I caught was something this old man called a "croaker", he also showed me how he would catch crabs on these little flat net looking things that he'd tie a piece of chicken too, and lower it into the water for awhile then suddenly raise it really fast and he'd have a crab or two eatin on the chicken....once them rascals hit the pier they tried to take off and you'll have to catch'm.....hehehe....it was cool at the time.....I also remember seein some guys catch lemon sharks using chicken meat, but all they kept were the tails of the sharks....I never understood that.

I'd like to saltwater fish again someday....it was certainly different than fishin the ponds from back home...lol
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 03:51 PM   #6
JB

bryce thats it!

we just got off my brother in laws boat, we fished all day and had tons of speckeled sea trout, a shark, one jack crevelle and a spanish makeral ..we went out on the gulf about 10 miles and used shrimp and then threw the net and used bait fish. it was a ball. even if it felt like its 100 out lol.
Old 10-07-09, 05:39 PM   #7
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

nows the time to target those snook before season ends! there are nice ones on the beaches in clearwater. i would use a rod with a freelined pilchard or mullet with 50 lb flouro and another rod with an egg sinker tied to a swivel, then to the leader and a 2/0 circle hook with a live bait. since you have the boat try a lot of freelined livebaits around lighted docks at night. good luck.
Old 10-07-09, 05:46 PM   #8
JB

we are taking the boat south of tampa to redfish and snook, it sure looks fun. they sure do fight harder than the ol brookville bass LOL.. used sunblock 70 today and no burn, got a few hundred water blisters on the chest tho from the pool couple of days ago tho. I used a shimano setup today that was about the size ya use for bass, with some braid and fluro leader
Old 10-08-09, 02:27 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
bryce thats it!

we just got off my brother in laws boat, we fished all day and had tons of speckeled sea trout, a shark, one jack crevelle and a spanish makeral ..we went out on the gulf about 10 miles and used shrimp and then threw the net and used bait fish. it was a ball. even if it felt like its 100 out lol.
Cool. That ud be a mangrove snapper. Which btw make GREAT fish chowder (just had some mang chowder last week end. yyyuuummm!)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.