Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-09, 07:31 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Frog heaven

My pond here at work recently went through some major renovations. They shut it down for a couple of weeks to clean up the banks and to cut down and remove most of the tullies (reeds for anyone not in Cali)

I was a little worried about the impact on the fishing, but am happy to say that it has never been better. There are downed tullies all over the shore line. It has become an incredible place for frogs. I have not had a lunch fishing session in the past two weeks that did not result in at least one frog fish and several blowups. Today how ever was the most exciting yet.

One of the by-products of the clean up efforts is that they disturbed the habitat of several species of flying bugs. The most noticeable has been the dragon flies. The bass sound as though they are chasing shad as they continue to bust out of the water to catch one of the dragon flies.

Earlier in the week, I had learned that I had a good chance of getting a strike if I simply cast at the bugs. So many fish have been waiting for their meal to get close enough to eat. Today I had a bass leave the water to hit my frog on the cast. It was really exciting to see this happen.

The second very exciting strike occurred when I had the frog dangling for a branch. (A very skilled casting technique to ...)
The legs were barely touching the water when the bass hit it twice before finally getting it on the third attempt.

Neither of the fish were giants, but it was still a great day on the water.

The only bad part to the recent changes to the pond is that there are many more snagging places in the pond. I have lost three spro frogs in the past week when the fish took it into the weeds/trees.
Old 10-06-09, 09:40 PM   #2
bassinbob

Cass I fish a nice pond too. The owner just cleared the brush from the side of the pond that was impossible to fish. I went sunday and caught a few on a horny toad. Nothing big. I have caught a couple around 5lbs. out of there. Can't wait till next year to fish it when they are really hitting. They wouldn't hit anything else except the toad. But I did catch 2 dinks on a crankbait.
Old 10-07-09, 06:51 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats a great story cass. Sounds like your going to go hungry at lunch time for quite a while, lol.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 11:46 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sounds like some fun on the water Cass. I love those frog blow ups. Keith, it sounds like he is swapping eating for buying more frogs. A man just has to make cuts though and stand for his priorities.
Old 10-08-09, 06:59 AM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Sounds like some fun on the water Cass. I love those frog blow ups. Keith, it sounds like he is swapping eating for buying more frogs. A man just has to make cuts though and stand for his priorities.
Your absolutely right Bubba! A new Spro wins out over a Whopper any day of the week. Especially if you can use that Spro to catch a whopper!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 10:14 AM   #6
cassidyta

Luckily for me, I never eat lunch. If I can get away from work, I use that hour to fish. I did make it back last evening and was able to recover two of the frogs. Work is a shirt and tie job, so wading into the water is out during the day.
I don't know how heavy the one clump of weeds was, but I could not budge it even when standing directly over it and pulling straight up on it.

My 65 lbs braid stood no chance.
Old 10-09-09, 11:45 AM   #7
Bassboss

Cool cass! Sounds like a good time!

One thing that you may want to consider if you into having a really fun time, is get a fly rod! And use some dragon fly flies! I'm sure they would work phenomenally!
Old 10-09-09, 11:56 AM   #8
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow I would love to have that pond or any pond for that matter here. The desert can really suck sometimes. I miss just small little evening outings etc. To fish here it’s a trip to the lakes and at a min. a four hour undertaking which two is lost to driving, docking etc. Nowhere to just go through a line in the water. The local park sucks it’s too crowded with everyone fishing for the little trout. I am hoping to move to either the Delta (San Fran) or Kentucky when I retire in a year or two. I did a ton of frog fishing summer of 08 from Missouri to Tampa Florida. What a blast. I will see if I can get one to hang from a branch - not so sure I have that kind of skill
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 12:08 PM   #9
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Cool cass! Sounds like a good time!

One thing that you may want to consider if you into having a really fun time, is get a fly rod! And use some dragon fly flies! I'm sure they would work phenomenally!
Bassboss,

I do have a fly rod, but the overhangs of the location make it very difficult to use.

On a good note, I am now +2 on the frog count. I made a recon mission on a downed tree last night. Not only did I recover my frog, but two others, a jig, and a couple of cranks. The jig has been down there too long to be of any value, but all of the frogs and cranks appear to be fresh losses to the tree.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.