Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-13-09, 06:48 AM   #1
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up Crankbait time again

Well Saturday morning on Lake Tarpon started the weekend out well . My fishing partner and I decided to hit our favorite spots in reverse order . I pulled up to a large flat about 5 acres across . Scattered hydrilla in about 5 - 6 ft of water with deep water all around . Payed off well , for me at least . I started out with a 1/2 oz blue/chrome frenzy lipless crankbait . By 10 am in central Fl its already around 85 degrees . I boated 10 keepers and my partner , as stubborn as he is, could only hook up with 1 while dragging a worm . We left around 10 and called it a day .
Sunday morning I was by myself , throwing the same Frenzy lure , I had 11 keepers by 8 am ( 7 within the first 20 minutes ) . I can't wait to get back on them this weekend . You know the week will just drag on ....tick tock ...tick tock ...waiting for Saturday morning .
Thought I would let you guys know how crankbaits are working this time of year in Tarpon Springs , FL on Lake Tarpon .
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 07:47 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for the info Randy. I live in Indiana but I've fished Lake Tarpon often in years past. My parents lived in a comunity on lake Tarpon for 12 years before they passed away. Dad and I got out every year when I would visit. We had a three day period in January one year when virtually every cast we made we connected with a bass and sometimes a huge crappie. We would drift over a very large bed of hydrilla that was a few feet below the surface. This bed of hydrilla was probably 40 yards wide and a couple hundred yards long and was located about a half mile off shore. We just drifted and cast as the wind passed us from one end to another. It was crazy, with easily 8 out of every 10 casts landing a fish. The funny thing was...there was only one lure they would hit. It HAD to be a jointed Reble minnow bait silver with black back. Gold wouldn't work, nor and other style or color of lure. It had to be that particular Rebel. Never seen anything like it before or since. There are some very nice parks on that lake too. Hope to get back down there some day.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 02:40 PM   #3
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's what have been workin' down here too. Lipless cranks and reg cranks with that blu/chrome pattern. Especially if it's sunny to get that flash goin'. Your lucky it gets to 85 by 10, down here it's already 95 by 9 in the mornin'! I always have to wake up at 600 to get on the water by 7, then we are out by 10..... dang hot all the time!

Good luck this weekend too!

stevomac

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.