Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-05-09, 12:02 AM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Another bass story...

We spent some time at the lake last weekend with my youngest sister, her husband and their 3 kids. As I helped my nephews (10, 3) and niece (5) fish from the dock on Saturday morning, my sister mentioned that she would like to get a fishing license. I said sure, let's go get you one (she hadn't ever fished in her life except maybe once or twice as a small child). Later that night as we were helping the kids fish from the dock again, my sister asked about going out fishing with me in the boat the next morning (I had gone out solo at 5 a.m. that morning). I said great, that would be fun. Now keep in mind that it's still cold here in semi-northern MN in the early morning -- things like a stocking cap and multiple layers of sweatshirts, coats, etc. are usually called for. Plus, at this point in time, she didn't even know how to open the bail on a spinning reel, let alone cast one. So I told her, well, I better teach you how to cast. So we set about practicing casting and retrieving, not worrying at all about actually "fishing" at that point. After about half a dozen casts, she was bringing the line back in when a bass grabbed the Yamasenko I had on the rod she was using and started giving her a fight. Well, we hadn't talked about what it meant to set the hook yet, so after a couple cranks, the LM escaped. She had been interested in fishing before, but now she was really determined--she wanted to catch something! So we talked about how to actually fish a Yamasenko and practiced a few fake hook sets as well. Then I turned her loose to do some actual dock fishing. It wasn't long before she landed her first bass ever - 2lb 1oz, 15.5", and shortly after that her second - 2lb 4oz, 15.5" again. She was ecstatic to say the least and she even held the fish herself for the pictures without any hesitation!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	3696Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3531.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	3697

At 5:30 the next morning we were both up and ready to head out for a couple hours of fishing in the boat before the others woke up. Before we had even been fishing 15 minutes, she boated the first bass of the day - 2lb 3oz, 15".

Name:	IMG_3534.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	3700

It would be the only fish she landed in the two hours we fished (I landed a couple about the same size a little later), but that hardly mattered. It had been a truly great morning and weekend -- I got to spend quality time with my sister, I got to teach her what (little) I know about bass fishing, and on top of that, I got to watch her become a bass fishing addict right before my very eyes!

Later that night after my sister and her family had departed, I landed two nice bass of my own while dock-fishing with my wife. The first one was 3lb 14oz, 19" and the other was 3lb 0oz and 16.5".

Name:	IMG_3549.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	3698Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3555.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	3699

Here are pics of my niece (with help from my wife) and nephew with some of their dock catches from the weekend.

Name:	IMG_3512.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	3701Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3514.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	3702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3529.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	3703
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:25 AM   #2
WatterBoy

OOPS - sorry, wrong forum! Obviously, I meant to be in "Bragging Board & Monkey Talk" when I posted this. Could a mod move it for me, please?

Thanks!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 01:43 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Aquaman strikes again and building an allegance along the way. You better check your scales. That one at 3 14 looks like an easy 5 lber easy, it's a fattie, IMO. But they don't pay me for my abilities. None the less, awesome trip and congrats on passing the bug through the family.
Old 06-05-09, 10:57 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Great story! Those are some nice bass there too!
Old 06-05-09, 01:25 PM   #5
brushhog

Fishing is always fun, Fishing with family is even more so! Looks like a great time. I agree that 3'14 looks a might bigger!
Old 06-05-09, 10:17 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

in't it awesum to see someone LEARN from you and then go out there and actually catch a fish? this is what i am talking about people! awesum story and great pics pal. so glad to see your sister get into the sport man. thanks for a fantastic story and great pics. but be careful,lol, if she is like my wife......she'll outfish you QUICK! hahahahaha, again pal. thanks!
Old 06-06-09, 09:35 PM   #7
Cavs1123

those are some nice bass
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 04:50 PM   #8
islandbass

Looks like you're a great teacher. Congrats to your sister and her family. Great report and pics too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.