Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-12, 06:39 AM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default So, I have some new lures.....

& I am off to get them wet for a couple hours at the 'cut'.
Old 11-02-12, 07:01 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Dont let those toothy critters steal them they look to nice.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 09:44 AM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good colors
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 01:03 PM   #4
Tavery5

Good looking baits, should have a nice tight wiggle.
Old 11-02-12, 05:07 PM   #5
MrMakk

Well I had a few hours out with 'em, about three dont work correctly, and asked Mark if the problem can be fixed. He has kindly gave me instructions on how to tune them on my next session out.
so result of the few hours spent on a slightly windy & cold canal was a seldom Jack at around 6lb 8oz. surprisingly this once decided to swallow the whole lure. and by 'eck once it clicked on that it is not an edible food source it went scranny! put a good bend in the 6ft tyran and some spectacular tailwalks. whilst unhooking a chap was passing as I was cursing, he asked what is wrong and I explaned to him that with the jack swallowing the lure in one, the end treble was dangling near the gills and gill rakers which can cause the pike serious damage. Before long the jack was sucessfully and safely unhooked, The chap commented on how well the jack looked and congratulated me on a sucessful yet tricky unhooking process and safe release back into the depths.

heres the jack,

And the christened lure

All in all it was great to get out for a couple hours.
Old 11-02-12, 06:10 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Good looking plugs and a good result. Is the water in the canal moving? Where does it come from? Where does it go? Is the bottom concrete or dirt? Is it the same depth for it's entire length? What happens after a hard rain? Is there cover in it? ie wood? vegetation?
Old 11-02-12, 07:32 PM   #7
lilmule

Curious as to depth obtained on retrieve 2-3 ft?
Know your friend sells them so pm me with a price for both blue ones to 38222
Know it wont be cheap due to shipping,maybe can fit in budget.
My guess being a man made canal was dug is fairly same depth other than where erosion has occurred over time with some concrete and brick sides with a mud bottom,with some vegetation that isnt surfaced,possibly a laydown next to a barge,they tend to live on some over there ive heard like a floating home.Is it a still used commercially or sort of a side track,even closed off at one end?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 01:15 AM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thumbs up

Way to go, MrMakk! That is a beauty!

Nice baits, too. I love throwing square billed cranks like that. Believe it or not my favorite place to throw them is in flooded trees. You wouldn't think it, but they are surprisingly snag free.

Tuning them, or making the run straight is really petty easy. I'm sure your buddy can get you on the right track. I usually just use a pair of needlenose pliers and bend the eyelet opposite the way it is running. Not complicated.
Old 11-06-12, 05:59 PM   #9
MrMakk

Thanks Chaps,

Apologies for the delayed reply, I've been busy during the weekend and also had bonfire night/guy fawkes night back on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Good looking plugs and a good result. Is the water in the canal moving? Where does it come from? Where does it go? Is the bottom concrete or dirt? Is it the same depth for it's entire length? What happens after a hard rain? Is there cover in it? ie wood? vegetation?
Canals round here start at the river and end at the river, as far as I am aware its just dug out so I am pretty sure the bottom is dirt, the towpath howeber is concrete and slabs, after some heavy rain it turns like oxtail soup and rises, if we had just a drizzle it'll stays the around same in clarity and depth as if it was a dry spell. It also varies in depth, I've been on a section where it can be no more than 4ft deep and the deepst section i have experienced must of been around 7ft-8ft. plenty of shopping carts, pushbikes, traffic cones, tellys, even monitors for the old PCs a good friend who fishes often with me has even see a couple of corpses being pulled out by the police and rescue services. mostly on the far side there are a few overhanging plants that provide cover for the fish we get lillies in the summer and also there are plenty of reeds mixed in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Curious as to depth obtained on retrieve 2-3 ft?
Know your friend sells them so pm me with a price for both blue ones to 38222
Know it wont be cheap due to shipping,maybe can fit in budget.
My guess being a man made canal was dug is fairly same depth other than where erosion has occurred over time with some concrete and brick sides with a mud bottom,with some vegetation that isnt surfaced,possibly a laydown next to a barge,they tend to live on some over there ive heard like a floating home.Is it a still used commercially or sort of a side track,even closed off at one end?
depth with these little fellas average around 4ft on a nice steady retrieve,
I doubt the postage will be expensive, but at the same time cheap, I know Mark does free worldwide shipping on orders £30 (if correct it is at $47 USD) or over. Or you could send mark a PM via the facebook or his email and he'll sort you out.
yes I think your on the right tracks with the canal, the canal is owned by a governing body (canal and river trust) but is accessable to all public right of way. plenty of joggers, dogwalkers, cyclists. The 'Barge' is more commonly known as a narrowboat.

I've attempted to tune but two appeare to have minor defects, which marks correcting (I'm sending the two back to him and he'll see what he can do to get them right/ or possible replacements).

Alex,

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.