Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-01-06, 08:44 PM   #26
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My buddy had Gamblers before and just loved them, I think that he help with the development of the trim tabs when he was sponsored by them. He really liked the dance-floor like front deck.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 03:02 AM   #27
DamnFish
BassFishin.Com Member

I would have to say Skeeter is one of the best rides out there. I have owned Procraft, Ranger and My TZX is an awesome ride. We get to deal with some wicked water conditions here in Wisconsin (Don't hold that against me). I see in one of the posts that leg room was an issue with this boat in one post, I can see that, if you are an individual over 6'3. Absolutely worth every penny in my book. All the boats out there today are very good boats, especially for the insane prices that they sell for anymore.
DamnFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 07:40 PM   #28
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well df
i have been on many differant boats. at 6'5'' weighin in at 360-+ some pounds. i find that skeeter have the least amount of leg room. don't get me wrong they are a nice boat if i was 5'8'' and 180 pounds. just not my choice for sure. stratos and basscats have the most leg room and are built for bigger guys..-i own a stratos-

oh yeah well come to the site..

zooker
Old 02-17-06, 09:37 PM   #29
bassboogieman

In the 18'-19' range, which is what I was looking for in my first 'glass boat, I decided on the Triton TR-186. I did a lot of looking for about 18 months before choosing the Triton, didn't really think I could afford a new one, but found a leftover at a January Sportsman show that fit my needs perfectly at an acceptable price. Has a 150HP XR-6, runs well, good storage, handles really great. The bigger Tritons with big outboards are a bit difficult to master, as they have a tendency to chine walk and it's a little unnerving for a novice, but it's a performance hull and they run on the edge. But the TR-186 is a stable boat, I have no chine walk with it, and it fits my needs perfectly. Most of the brands out there are good ones, so do your homework and make the choice that's right for you.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 02:53 PM   #30
zooker

well let me see you have just made a mistake by admitting to owning a toon..exspect a bus load of critisisum about this choice in life..

imo best buy stock in rain pants. the biggest problem toons have is #1 ride and#2 back wash. when coming off plane i have yet been in a toon that the back wash did not come over the back deck.let off the gas a tad quick and you will be sitting in a couple inches of water. as it will flow over the back and over you.. a toon is second worst riding boat you will ever get in. bullet and allison are tied as super rough ridin.
yes toon are the best looking cookie cutter boat on the market today.. but are kidney choppers..

ok laser let the dawgs lot..

zooker
Old 02-18-06, 03:46 PM   #31
bassboogieman

Default Best ride

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But like I said I did a lot of looking and Triton was and still is my choice in that size boat. Apples to Apples size wise: I've been in an 18'-6" Champion, supposedly an excellent ride and got the crap beat outta me, almost lost fillings out of my teeth in a 2' chop. I've had mine in a 2' chop and it is a much more stable and didn't beat me up half as bad - actually had a Ranger owner (similiar size) in the boat at the time and was complemented on my boats ride. As to the backwash..... I learned that the first time out and just don't kill the boat when comming to a stop, have to kick it forward a little to avoid the backwash, some people would refer to that as driving the boat. All boats have their pecularities, but my Toon is dryer than a Champ, faster than a Ranger, and just dang pretty to look at. Final word is I really don't have to please anyone except myself, and Triton does that for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 06:12 AM   #32
1FASTLASER

A tendency to chine walk.LMAO ever try to hold a motorcycle straight on a icy windy road. It can be done just AINT NO FUN. Never been in the smaller Tritons, seen them run and from apperance they doing the right thing. The bigger toons NO WAY. They good lookin boats and have a good warranty but Ihave run the 20ftr and then had to go to dentist to get my teeth post tightened up. I aint never understood why a boat company would wanna uild a hull capable of good speeds and not go ahead and do the research and development that will allow the boat to run PROPER. A boat guru like the pres of toon knows better (earl). Good choice on the little toon.

ZOOK

GRRRRRRRRRRR Doggin on them thar bullets and allys again huh. GRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 02-20-06, 03:50 PM   #33
bassnman30

No body ever said that a Ranger was fast. I think mine is as slow as any 6 cyl. out there ! It definitely is not the fastest, believe me, I know.
Old 03-01-06, 09:08 AM   #34
FLFEDANGLER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Nice Ride

Yes, Ranger's are not as fast as other boats for the most part. But the ride sure is more comfortable than most boats. My new 188vs w/ 175 Merc Omax exceded all my expectations. It my 4th new bass boat but my first Ranger. (Stratos, Stratos, Procraft, Ranger) It's a 18' 8" that was styled after the Z series for a lot less money! Starting at around $27,000. Mine runs 66 by myself.
FLFEDANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 06:42 AM   #35
1FASTLASER

FLEFEDANGLER

Nice ride there buddy.Also welcome to the craziest site on bassfishing. Good info and lots of bs here. Is that a jack plate I see on the boat? Also 66 is that a GPS reading. Excellant motor choice,yes I am predjudice. If it aint black on the back your at the back of the pack.
Old 03-02-06, 08:01 AM   #36
FLFEDANGLER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 188VS Ranger

Thanks 1FastLazer, yes that is a 6" Jackplate, black of coarse to match, might as well do it right. The 66 is GPS speed. My last boat was a Procraft with 2000 150 Merc EFI and the 5 years I had it, that Merc never failed to crank! So that's why I have another one.

Thanks and have a good one. Check out my site.

www.AroundtheTournamentTrail.com
Old 03-02-06, 09:48 PM   #37
bass kicker

for an aluminium boat ours is unbeilveably smooth ride
Old 03-04-06, 05:19 PM   #38
florida mike
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Finally Did It

After all this back and forth ,Ifinally bought 2006,285 Stratos with a 150 Yami on the back.
florida mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 11:17 PM   #39
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida mike
After all this back and forth ,Ifinally bought 2006,285 Stratos with a 150 Yami on the back.
Congrats on the boat. Now take it to the fish, and show us some pics.

Lizards
Old 03-04-06, 11:41 PM   #40
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i'll be down there from mar30 till apr3rd..let's go break it in..
good luck with it..congrats
Old 03-04-06, 11:42 PM   #41
bass kicker

ya congrates on the boat and that is cheap for a ranger boat FA
Old 03-05-06, 07:01 AM   #42
1FASTLASER

Florida Mike
Congrats on the nre ride. Shure you eeill like it.

FledAngler
One thing bout the optis they will give you many hours of turn key starts and now problems as long as you keep CLEAN fuel and Good oil in here Also make sure you give here a few minutes idle time before nailing it so as to be sure the thermostats are open.
Old 03-06-06, 04:14 PM   #43
pretjah
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i've been in the back of B-tom's Gambler and had no problem with room
pretjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 09:29 PM   #44
1FASTLASER

The decks on a gambler you could have a orgy on. If I could find a good deal on a gambler I would buy it RIGHT now. I want the Intimidator hull with a Mercury paralift jackplate and a 225 Pro XS. wow I would never come off thewater. But my fream boat is a 20XD with the same options and then it would be GAMBLERS BEWARE I'll swamp ya with my propwash.
Old 03-08-06, 02:23 AM   #45
LoneStarAngler07
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

RANGER all the way...if u wanna buy quality....they pretty expensive though...you can get a 20 footer at $25,000
Old 03-31-06, 08:37 PM   #46
FLFEDANGLER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Now take it to the fish

One of the earlier responses was, "now take it to the fish and show us some pic's" Hope this is OK to do, if not someone let me know. I have a web site that covers most of the Tournaments in and around the Florida Panhandle with a ton of fish pic's form all the Tournaments. Hope you enjoy!

www.AroundTheTournamentTrail.com
Old 04-07-06, 12:42 PM   #47
bassnman30

Gambler makes a good, fast boat but the back deck is almost non-existant.
Ranger makes a slow, heavy boat, but its un-sinkable
"Once you go Ranger, you'll never go back".
Old 04-07-06, 12:49 PM   #48
JB

excellant point about the back area, but then again with all that room upfront several anglers could flip off of it no sweat!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 08:31 PM   #49
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
excellant point about the back area, but then again with all that room upfront several anglers could flip off of it no sweat!
Not in the BFL, only the boater can and must fish from the front, and the non-boater can only fish from the back. But if you're the boater, who cares LOL.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.