Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-08, 11:06 AM   #1
flipp'n_stick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 2 Stroke Oil

Hey guys, I have got a question, will any 2 cycle oil like yamalube be fine to use in my johnson boat motor or should I use Marine oil instead? Since yamalube is basically for atv's, snowmobiles, and motorcycles if it will work without any risk to hurt the motor? If I can get by with yamalube 2 cycle, I will but if not, I would like to know!! Thanks!

-Flip
flipp'n_stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 11:37 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hold up stick
the yamalube that is used for outboards is the m2. only m2 is mixed to be used in outboards the 2 stroke cycle oil WILL NOT work in an outboard.it is too thick for the oil injectors..

i use yamalube m2 in my yamaha outboard.. marine oil is designed for use in outboards it is thinner and flows faster..using 2 storke cycle oil in an out board is like pourin molasses in your truck engine...

zooker
Old 04-05-08, 02:08 PM   #3
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

STICK,
ZOOKER did not finish his rant! Yammie lube will be fine if you are going to PRE-MIX! If not, I would stick with the manufacturers lube made by Johnson/Evinrude for your motor.

JackL
Old 04-05-08, 04:41 PM   #4
zooker

yeah i got intrupted in mid rant.. my bad...

zooker
Old 04-05-08, 09:22 PM   #5
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you should be running xd-50 in that motor... or you can use xd100 if you want to pay that kind of money. you don't have to, but I believe in using what the manufacturer recommends...
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 09:37 PM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
you should be running xd-50 in that motor... or you can use xd100 if you want to pay that kind of money. you don't have to, but I believe in using what the manufacturer recommends...
it depends on how old the moter is really and if it has oil injection..

zooker
Old 04-05-08, 09:45 PM   #7
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I stand corrected... they prob. recommended 25 or 30 for older motors.... but either way, you can always find what the manual says. zook you ever tried royal purple? I fish ABA tournaments and they are a sponsor. thought about trying it but can't find a reason to switch, I don't win enough and they don't pay enough to switch just for sponsorship.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 09:57 PM   #8
zooker

no my johny is a 71 no oil injection premix only..of course the oil injection came out in the mid 80's i belive.-not that it was worth a dam then-reliable oil injection is a fairly recent developement..

moters have come along way in the last 5 years..

zooker
Old 04-06-08, 07:38 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
BOTHOMAS is right on the nails head if you have a newer ETEC engine and have the computer programmed to run that oil. The ETECS have to have an update to run the XD50 or the 100. I forget which way it goes.

However if your motor is a older model I STRONGLY recommend that anyone whether its a OMC,Yamaha,Honda or whatever use the oil that was developed for there engine. I run into this every week at least 2 or 3 times. Engine faiklure due to using the wrong oil. If you have a DFI you have to use the appropiate oil otherwise you gonna pay big. Oil injected engines need oil designed by there manufacture for oil injected engines etc etc.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.