Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-31-08, 06:42 PM   #1
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JORDAN54
Default What size trolling motor?

I don't post much. I would rather read. But I thought I couild use some advice and hope you guys would accomodate. I have a 19ft 3inch bass boat with, for now a 74 # motorguide about ten years old. It is time for a new one and I have been looking at minn kota's. I don't know what Size I should buy they have 70, 80 for $250 more, or the 100 # thrust. Would a 70 work or should I be looking at the higher ones. What do you guys use? thanks in advance
JORDAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 08:25 PM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Go with the biggest size you can afford, It's a good idea to invest a lot of $$ in the trolling motor because you use it 90% of the time that you're on the water...I have had both minn's & motorguides and I think it's more personal preference..the old motorguides would go forever, but you gotta really read user review on the new ones it seems like they are putting a lot of junk out there now...basspro is having a sale right now on 'em...I would atleast go 74# on that boat..however, I don't know what type of rig you have..makes a difference..weight, drag, etc all come into play..I had a 56lb on my old 18ft and it worked great, but it also was a very flat glass boat..just my thoughts
Old 03-31-08, 08:32 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There really arent that many advantages to going small with a TM, so yea, as big as you can get. 70 will work though, as you said if you were getting by with a 74 then you could go with the same size.
Old 03-31-08, 09:43 PM   #4
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I Would Always Go Bigger. If You Go Bigger You Can In The Long Run Save On The Battery ,because With A Bigger Motor You Can Be On A Lower Seting And Go Just As Fast, As If You Were On A Higher Speed With A Less Smaller One.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 09:47 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The thing about the 100's is I belive they run on 36volts, whereas the 80's only use 24. I think you'd be fine with and 80.

BB
Old 03-31-08, 11:16 PM   #6
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That is my theory the biggest you can afford.Never hear anyone mad because they had to much puwer.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 08:54 AM   #7
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have to agree with BB144...go with the largest 24 volt motor you can get. Yes, if you are fishing a very windy point you might wish you had a little more power. But figure in the initial cost of the extra battery and the increased cost of the motor, plus the replacement cost of all of those batteries, and I think the better deal is the 24 volt system.

That said, I have a MG 109 and I have had no problems with it, but those batteries are EXPENSIVE.
Old 04-01-08, 10:55 PM   #8
bamabassman

i have a 56 pounder on my 20 foot cajun... GET AS BIG AS YOU CAN!!! gonna get a bigger one for my boat next year. can't afford it now, boo hoo. lol. for real, get the biggest one you can afford.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 10:56 PM   #9
bamabassman

does your old tm still work? if so, what'll you take for it? and where are you?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 05:34 AM   #10
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jordan..........in this case bigger is always better. Go with the 80 at least but dont shy away from the 100 just becasue its a 36. You dont always have to run it on 37 and you already have 3 batteries in your boat anyways. Thats the standard nowadays is to run the 2 batteries normally for the troller and the third being the main engine. If its ever needed that extra thrust is well worth it.
Old 04-05-08, 06:30 PM   #11
Jackl

JORDAN,
I think what LASER is trying to tell you is that you do not have to buy a fourth battery to be able to run the 36 volt TM. You can wire the batteries so that you can run the troller off of the starting battery when you are in 36 volt mode. You will not normally need 36 volts, but when you do it is nice to have. The alternator on your big motor will charge the third battery while you are running across the lake to your next spot, so you should not have any trouble running your starting battery down. If you ever have to replace your starting battery, by all means go with a 1200 amp unit as insurance that you have enough juice. I run 3 1200 amp AGM batteries and have never had a problem running out of juice on my 24 volt unit, even being on the TM all day fishing in high winds on wind swept banks. Buying as much as you can get is good avice from everyone, if you can afford it. It will be the cheapest way to go in the long run.

JackL
Old 04-06-08, 07:18 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Thanks Jackal. Sometimes I aint as clear as I should be when splaining to folks what I am splaining. You said that you are using AGM batts that are 1200 in size. May I ask what batts you are using. Those are big enough to accomplish what I am doing in my 2 boats. I want to elimnate that 3rd batt and as well get rid of 80+lbs for not only weight reasons but it is so much easier to balance a boat with 2 batts instead of three. I have talked to several of the go fast crowd that has done this and are actually using a lawn mower batt for there electronics and having great successs. Those extra amps available in the 1200 amp batt you are using would do GREAT for what I am doing.
Old 04-06-08, 11:11 AM   #13
Jackl

LASER,
They are Cabela's AGM series 27 batteries with a marine cranking amps of 1200 and a cca of 950. The down side is that they weigh 62.5 lbs. and cost $189.99. If you are really serious, Cabelas also has a AGM with 1525 amps and a cca of 205, with a downside of 84 lbs. and a cost of $219.99.
I needed a new starting battery, so I ordered one of the series 27 batts, and by the time I paid sales tax and shipping from Dallas, it cost me $225.00. The following week I got a sales flyer, and Cabela's had thier AGM's at $30.00 off. That made the series 27 cost $159.00, so I called and had a couple set back with my name on them and detoured thru Kansas City on the way back from Lake Fork and picked them up.
The reason I am sold on the AGM's is that I bought a set from BPS in about 1998 or 1999 for my trollers and have had them in three boats without a bit of trouble. I knew I was heading for Amistad and I wanted to be sure I did not have any battery problems down there. When I took the BPS AGM's out, they were still holding charge and working fine after at least 8 years. I AM A TRUE BELIEVER!!!
JackL
Old 04-06-08, 08:22 PM   #14
bassnman30

Sounds like you've got a Ranger. 481 ?
Old 04-07-08, 06:08 PM   #15
Jackl

BASSMAN,
A Ranger 519.

JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.