Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-09-08, 02:43 AM   #1
skeeterman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman
Default Am im in trouble????

This weekend i was fishing and decided to tilt my motor all the way up while using my trolling motor.Well the wind picked up pretty good in the spot i was at.So i decided to move.Well i started my motor then went to the front and pulled the trolling motor up.I noticed the engine seemed louder. But i was rushing to get my trolling motor up because the wind was blowing.Then i realized my motor was tilted up and quickly turned it off.I lowered it back into the water and cranked her back up.She started just fine and ran great for the rest of the day.I am just worried that i might have harmed it and will pay for it at a later time.Do you guys think i have anything to worry about?
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 06:10 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You should be ok but you have scarred the water impellar most likely. NOT a bad thing it happens all the time. You said that she fired back up and all was well. The only thing you prolly will notice is the pee stream not being as strong as it used to be. Plan on putting a water pump impellar on before the summer is out. Clean fuel,good oil and plenty of water PSI is what keeps an outboard alive and well. Costs about $40 and takes about an hour.
Lots of people dont know that quick start and kill it before they leave the house to make sure the batteries are charged and she fires up is the WORST thing you can do to a outboard. The impellar is dry. Picture this a piece of rubber spinning about 800rpms in a dry piece of stainless steel. INSTANT heat is what happens and it scarrs the impellar everytime you do it.
Old 04-09-08, 10:19 AM   #3
skeeterman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman

Ok thanks i was worried to death lol
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 10:49 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Lots of people dont know that quick start and kill it before they leave the house to make sure the batteries are charged and she fires up is the WORST thing you can do to a outboard. The impellar is dry. Picture this a piece of rubber spinning about 800rpms in a dry piece of stainless steel. INSTANT heat is what happens and it scarrs the impellar everytime you do it.

it amazes me how many people i see doing this at the boat ramp before launching. and then they wonder why they are having motor problems.
Old 04-09-08, 05:47 PM   #5
bamabassman

i have seen it too 1fast. and i ain't not mechanic.... but EVEN i know that can't be good. thanks, i'll never do it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 07:42 PM   #6
Rebbasser

If i'm leaving later in the day I often fire it up in the driveway before I leave, BUT: I ALWAYS hook up the ear muffs with running water.

Skeeterman, you should be OK.
Old 04-09-08, 08:52 PM   #7
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

We always use the "portable lake" every spring before we head out to make sure she runs. This consists of a 55 gallon drum filled with water in which the lower unit is dipped. Great way to test if you have a smaller engine.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 09:01 PM   #8
WTL

Have they ever made ear muffs for the old style engines? They wouldnt look like ear muffs, but you get the idea...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.