Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-09, 09:37 AM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Trolling motor battery help

I have no idea what kind of battery I need, other than a deep cycle.
I have a boat smaller than Jim's in the classifieds section and a Minn Kota Endura 30 trolling motor. The battery will only be used for the motor and fish finder.
I was lookin at deep cycles in walmart but walked out of there scratching my head
Old 04-06-09, 10:15 AM   #2
sharpe012010
BassFishin.Com Active Member

have an Academy outdoors within driving distance? go there and get some deep cycle batteries, they tend to be cheaper there in my experience
Old 04-06-09, 10:26 AM   #3
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe012010 View Post
have an Academy outdoors within driving distance? go there and get some deep cycle batteries, they tend to be cheaper there in my experience

Nope, never heard of them. Gander is open now so I think I'll head there and see what they got. thanks
Old 04-06-09, 11:09 AM   #4
bassattack
BassFishin.Com Member

i think u can use like any type of car battery for a trolling motor but mabe im wrong try gander or bass pro
Old 04-06-09, 12:26 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I have no idea what kind of battery I need, other than a deep cycle.
I have a boat smaller than Jim's in the classifieds section and a Minn Kota Endura 30 trolling motor. The battery will only be used for the motor and fish finder.
I was lookin at deep cycles in walmart but walked out of there scratching my head
I got this one from Academy Sports for only $44.99. I have a 30lb trolling motor and the battery works great. You can get 4 hours straight running on 5 speed, but when are you ever going to do that? THis is one of the smaller batteries and only weighs 21 lbs.
Note: The terminals are NOT screw down ones so I use a bolt, washers, and wingnuts to attach the trolling motor cables to this battery. Or you can change out the wires from your trolling motor to alligator clips. Either way this battery is great.

Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 02:09 PM   #6
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I got this one from Academy Sports for only $44.99. I have a 30lb trolling motor and the battery works great. You can get 4 hours straight running on 5 speed, but when are you ever going to do that? THis is one of the smaller batteries and only weighs 21 lbs.
Note: The terminals are NOT screw down ones so I use a bolt, washers, and wingnuts to attach the trolling motor cables to this battery. Or you can change out the wires from your trolling motor to alligator clips. Either way this battery is great.

Man! Wish there was one of those around here! Oh well, ended up just buyin a 115 ampere at WalMart for $62.
And I agree, when would you ever run flat out for 4 hours?
Old 04-06-09, 04:41 PM   #7
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassattack View Post
i think u can use like any type of car battery for a trolling motor but mabe im wrong try gander or bass pro
Yes, you are incorrect. A deep cycle is needed.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 05:12 PM   #8
bamabassman

mallen....ol pal. listen, IF you can afford it. get yerself a jell battery from an auto zone or someplace like that. they are better in the long run bub. just my opion gang. i got batteries from wally world, and several places like that, they don't last more than a couple of years. the next batteries i get will be the jells.
Old 04-07-09, 07:02 PM   #9
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
mallen....ol pal. listen, IF you can afford it. get yerself a jell battery from an auto zone or someplace like that. they are better in the long run bub. just my opion gang. i got batteries from wally world, and several places like that, they don't last more than a couple of years. the next batteries i get will be the jells.

I saw something about them the other day. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time around
Old 04-07-09, 10:23 PM   #10
Gearhed
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gearhed

Well depends on what type of car you drive....on one fishing trip we killed a battery in the morning and while it charged, stole one of the large batteries from my buddies diesel pickup truck. That actually worked great, lasted all afternoon!
Gearhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:11 PM   #11
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhed View Post
Well depends on what type of car you drive....on one fishing trip we killed a battery in the morning and while it charged, stole one of the large batteries from my buddies diesel pickup truck. That actually worked great, lasted all afternoon!
Did that about a month ago. Starter battery in the boat was weak so I stole the battery out of my pickup and still went fishing. I figured even if I did wear that battery down over the course of the day, I could just give myself a jump when I left since all the batterys had at least a little juice.
Old 04-08-09, 09:50 AM   #12
Jigger

Like Bama said, I've only been able to get 2 years out of most of my TM batteries in years past. I've tried alot of different ones. I bought Interstate deep cycle batteries 3 years ago and they're still going strong and I'm into my 3rd year with them. I've been very pleased with them and I'll replace these with more Interstates when the the time comes. I've got lots of power with them and I've never had them weaken even during an 8 hour tournament fishing into big wind.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 06:36 PM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Like Bama said, I've only been able to get 2 years out of most of my TM batteries in years past. I've tried alot of different ones. I bought Interstate deep cycle batteries 3 years ago and they're still going strong and I'm into my 3rd year with them. I've been very pleased with them and I'll replace these with more Interstates when the the time comes. I've got lots of power with them and I've never had them weaken even during an 8 hour tournament fishing into big wind.

Thanks! I've heard great things about Interstate

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.