Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-22-09, 11:17 PM   #1
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crankbait Knots

I know it may seem like I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. When using a crankbait... is it better to use a loop knot? snap swivel? or just a regular knot? I have been using snap swivels lately so it will save time, and I have been catching fish but i dont know if I could be catching more if I am using just a knot to make it look more real. However, the swivel allows it to wobble more freely, etc.
B-I-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 11:20 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I tie to the split ring. I used snaps years ago until my favorite crankbait sailed off into the murky depths when the snap came open.

A palomar knot will do the job just fine.
Old 04-22-09, 11:56 PM   #3
keithdog

I use a palomar knot for virtually every lure and hook I tie on. I never use a swivel snap for cranks, but I do often use a snap, especially if I am planning on trying several out in a short time. If I am using a crank I plan to have tied on for an extended time, I will tie my line dirrectly to the split ring. If there is no split ring, I will use a snap for better lure movement as you mentioned before. I've noticed that when I use my Rapala X Raps, they have better action on the retrieve when I use a clip, even though they do have split rings attached. One thing I will mention when it comes to using snaps compared to not using snaps. One fear I have when tying my line dirrectly to the split ring is that it can get wedged down into that split in the ring where the wire bend stops. I swear I've had lines snap because of this. Using a clip eliminates this problem.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 12:13 AM   #4
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah that was my mistake... I meant to say snap... I always get them mixed up. Yeah, well I think I'm really only going to be using one crank tomorrow so I'm going to tie the line directly to the split ring and hope for the best.
B-I-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 09:59 AM   #5
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I remove MOST of the split rings on my crankbaits and prefer a Norman Speed Clip. Saves time when changing baits - I change a lot. I only leave the split rings on baits that have a very tight clearance to the line tie which would make using the speed clip difficult. Those I tie directly (to another rod). Using the speed clip AND the split ring makes it easier to hang the front treble in the clip, so I remove it. Any clip should work, but the speed clip will not "unsnap" in weeds, etc. NO swivel.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 05:11 PM   #6
zooker

palomar knot..

zooker
Old 04-23-09, 05:20 PM   #7
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I tie directly to the split ring on all cranks, I have had too many snaps fail, that being said I replace all of my snap rings with the oval ones that they use on the LC baits. Then you never have to worry about your line getting cut by the opening.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 05:21 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I either tie directly to the split ring w/ an improved clinch knot or use a duo lock snap. But I NEVER use a snap swivel. They're cheap pieces of garbage.

(Duo lock snap)

BB
Old 04-23-09, 05:27 PM   #9
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I either tie directly to the split ring w/ an improved clinch knot or use a duo lock snap. But I NEVER use a snap swivel. They're cheap pieces of garbage.

(Duo lock snap)

BB
So you guys are ok with using these?.....i've always been scared a big bass would tear them up....straighten them out?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 05:46 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

66KF, I was wondering just how strong these were after your comment. I went outside and attached one (from Jann's Netcraft) to an outdoor furniture chair (ya know, the metal ones that are like mesh) Then I tied some 30lb braid to it and attaching it to my lip grips w/ 30lb scale. I applied pressure 5 times. Once, The line slipped from my lipgrips. once, the scale Errored. Twice, the 30lb braid broke, and once, a knot came untied. Of the five times, not once did the clip break or straighten out. Oh and all five times, the things that happened happened at 20lbs or more of pressure.

BB
Old 04-23-09, 05:55 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

Interesting test, BB. How about a shock test? Figure out a way to simulate an extremely hard hookset. You know, instead of a steady pull, give it a good HARD yank. Don't use Mama's furniture as an anchor, though. If you do, I had nothing to do with this.
Old 04-23-09, 06:02 PM   #12
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Interesting test, BB. How about a shock test? Figure out a way to simulate an extremely hard hookset. You know, instead of a steady pull, give it a good HARD yank. Don't use Mama's furniture as an anchor, though. If you do, I had nothing to do with this.
MB it's always fun to get somebody to do your dirty deeds and step back and watch. ROTFLMAO
Old 04-23-09, 06:07 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Oh yeah....BB, I want video, too.
Old 04-23-09, 06:48 PM   #14
bamabassman

hahahaha, yea bb i too am really interested for real. but can you do the test with BOTH the swivel snap and the one you like? i am SERIOUS. but like mb said. find something besides your mamas patio chairs. interested in what pound limits are for both.and the shock stress test sound interesting as well.

see i took the "safe" way to ask this, hahahahahaha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.