Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 08-10-09, 05:17 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Main lake points and humps

Got out on the lake on Sat. and the Major wanted to work some deeper points and main lake humps in the clear water. We ran to the first point and fished a couple different baits with no bites. We worked up the shoreline to another point and he hit the first fish of the day on a RC 3.5 that went around 2lbs. The fish was close to the shore and not out deep or on the point. Caught nothing in the cove either. We started working our way out and he picks up a RI Trixie Shark and hits another keeper on topwater under overhanging limbs. Good fish but not as big as the first. Gets another blow up also. Once again nothing in deep water but up shallow. We run out to the main channel and fish a hump off the main channel that goes from 4' to 22' with SAV that grows up to 15". We circle that thing and beat it to death. Cranks, traps, topwater, Swim bait, C-rig, T-rig, and nothing. Not even a bite.
We change locations to some willow grass that grows in 1-3' of water off a couple gravel flats just off the main channel. Sure enough the Major hits another 2+ and I have one around 3 hit the Swim Bait but gets off. Once again the fish are skinny and feeding up. So much for fishing deep but we keep at it. We run to an old road bed that runs up from a 22' creek channel and we work it with a C-rig and T-rig with nothing. We end up at the end of the road bed at a skinny flat and I hit my best of the day with the Swim Bait. This one goes 3+ easily and we've got a pattern working. We run to the back of a small feeder creek and shut down on a shallow point off the channel. I make repeated casts and hit a 1.5lb bass on the swim bait. We work our way back and the Major hooks up on a good fish on a Baby 1 but we never see it and it shakes off. We start working back into the small flat where the feeder creek hits the lake and he hits a small keeper on a Shark. We work up the creek and he has the best fish of the day blow up just off a beaver hut on the Shark and he misses the hook set. We work back around 50 yards with me catching a 16-18" pickerel on a Baby Brush Hog. The Major hits another small keeper on the way out on the Shark off of wood.
So here it is the middle of summer with water temps in the mid 80's in the middle of the day and we're catching our fish in 3' of water or less. No fish off of points or humps but on the skinny flats and shallow feeder creeks. I think the fact that it was overcast helped with the shallow fish feeding up. Not a bad day considering we wanted to catch them on deep points and humps .

ps - Pic of the 3+ coming.
Old 08-10-09, 05:24 PM   #2
cassidyta

Nice report. Great job on identifying a pattern that went against conventional wisdom. A while back there was a thread on our biggest mistakes and many people stated that staying with a technique or location too long.
Old 08-10-09, 05:30 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good read, 3d.

Like you, I find that puzzling. However, when I got stopped by the DNR (a daily occurence lately...sigh) at Patoka yesterday, and they finished checking me over, they told me the fishing has been that way for a while ...same thing you are experiencing, albeit at dawn / dusk. The shallower the better, they said.

Ironically, since I have had such poor topwater luck recently, when I hit the lake at 5am, I skipped my normal fishing area (shallow) in favor of heading to deeper C-rigging areas. My luck there was the same as yours.

When I left at 8pm (had to ), the fish were indeed visibly all over the shallows. Man, if it had been Saturday night instead of Sunday, I would have stayed and slayed em.
Old 08-11-09, 04:47 PM   #4
3dkicker

We knew that we could catch them shallow but we wanted to fish the deeper points and humpss. Found some areas that we believed (kind of like what the pro's tell you to do in the summer) would hold some good fish but turns out the feeding fish were shallow. Maybe the fish feed on those spots earlier or later in the day.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.