Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-10, 07:51 PM   #1
Tasten
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crankbait vs lipless Crankbait

Whats exactly makes the two different?
Tasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 08:16 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I crankbait has a lip, a lipless crankbait does not. A crankbait is something like a 2-4 diver while a lipless crank is most commonly a rattletrap like the red eye shad.
Old 03-02-10, 08:24 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lipless crankbait

Lipped crankbait

The lipless crankbait generally sinks and you control the depth. The lipped crankbait generally floats and the bill makes it dive.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 09:00 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tasten, it is like a phillips head vs a slot head screwdriver. Both are screwdrivers but do different jobs. I like lipless baits for covering water and as a search bait. Lipped baits I prefer for fishing specific areas. For example, I fish a lot of what are termed highland lakes. these do not have much grass/weed cover but there is a lot of rock. I love to throw them on rock banks where they dig into the bottom and bounce along. Flooded trees are another area I like lipped baits. My favorite way to fish a crankbait is to throw a square billed bait like a Bandit 100 into flooded trees. Where a lipless bait wil hang up a lot a square bill will deflect off potential snags but will catch a lot of fish.

I have dedicated rods for crankbaits, so I often alternate between lipped and lipless until I find what the fish want.
Old 03-02-10, 10:44 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Tasten, it is like a phillips head vs a slot head screwdriver. Both are screwdrivers but do different jobs. I like lipless baits for covering water and as a search bait. Lipped baits I prefer for fishing specific areas. For example, I fish a lot of what are termed highland lakes. these do not have much grass/weed cover but there is a lot of rock. I love to throw them on rock banks where they dig into the bottom and bounce along. Flooded trees are another area I like lipped baits. My favorite way to fish a crankbait is to throw a square billed bait like a Bandit 100 into flooded trees. Where a lipless bait wil hang up a lot a square bill will deflect off potential snags but will catch a lot of fish.

I have dedicated rods for crankbaits, so I often alternate between lipped and lipless until I find what the fish want.
Very well said.
Old 03-02-10, 10:54 PM   #6
BassinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-02-10, 10:59 PM   #7
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

They are indeed very different tools for very different jobs even though they are both termed crankbaits. Also, not all lipped crankbaits can do the same job. Different manufacturers and different models from the same manufacturers have very different properties (bouyancy, action, ability to work through heavy cover etc etc). Also, Where lipless vibrating cranks are concerned they also posses different characteristics (bouancy and action for the most part), depending on the manufacturer.
Old 03-03-10, 12:33 AM   #8
MississippiBoy

Also, in general terms, the lipped crankbaits tend to have a wider wobble than the lipless ones. Every brand/kind of lure is a little different, but most lipless crankbait do more of a fast shimmy or vibration, whereas lipped lures have a more pronounced side-to-side wobble.
Old 03-03-10, 07:29 AM   #9
woody

This is good stuff.

I also find myself rertieving my lipless baits much faster that the lipped ones.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 11:06 AM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
This is good stuff.

I also find myself rertieving my lipless baits much faster that the lipped ones.

-Mark
I do the samething,Mark.
I think Redbasser,and Mississippiboy covered most of it.
But speaking of the tighter wobble/shimmy, A lipless does fairly well for me in colder water because of that..I feel its more natural movement in those conditions compared to a wide wobble of a billed crank.
Old 03-03-10, 11:24 AM   #11
Vegasspider

I think it’s also important to address when you use a lipless vs. billed crank bait. It’s a big time pre spawn small mouth bait. Targeting staging areas is it’s primary use on my side of the country. Perhaps the reason your asking the question is because of the recent tournament you see the pro’s using lipless vs. billed cranks. It also means you have the bait in the area longer as it suspends etc. It’s also the easy bait to through in my opinion. Just through it and crank. Let rip through the grass or bounce off of rocks etc. You can use whatever color you want as long as it’s Red…. <of course this is my .02 worth. Now with it being the easiest to through it’s also very important to use the right equipment as a lot of hits are missed with lip less (a lot of fish come off) It’s no secret I am a big G Loomis (And now Wafflejaw’s) fan but a good 7’ caster that you can throw as far as you possibly can works pretty consistent with good hooks.

This is not a bad link for a take on the lipless http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wZFg...eature=related

I am sure there is a million links out there.

Last edited by Vegasspider; 03-03-10 at 11:32 AM.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 07:27 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
A lipless does fairly well for me in colder water because of that..I feel its more natural movement in those conditions compared to a wide wobble of a billed crank.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
I think it’s also important to address when you use a lipless vs. billed crank bait. It’s a big time pre spawn small mouth bait. Targeting staging areas is it’s primary use on my side of the country. You can use whatever color you want as long as it’s Red…. <of course this is my .02 worth.
Agree 100% here, too. Lipless are great for the big girls entering pre-spawn looking to feed, and for some reason red really shines this time of year.
Old 03-03-10, 08:27 PM   #13
bassassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Besides the bill, lipless sink when at rest and generally have more and or higher pitch rattles, while ones w/ lips float when at rest.

The ones w/ lips are my favorite because unless using a math formula and the countdown method sinking baits arn't in one strikezone all the time. ex:a bandit series 100 dives 2-5 feet every time so I know right where it is.(at least by a foot or less)
Old 03-06-10, 09:54 AM   #14
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Please allow me to add that lipless cranks are often fished over, around and through grass. They are often allowed to "snag" on the weeds, then ripped out. Lipless cranks are designed to sink nose down. This keeps the hooks away from the weeds. Crankbaits with lips won't work right if a weed fouls the lip, but lipless baits aren't bothered by a little salad tagging along.

Around rocks and gravel the lipless bait can be yo-yo'd. That is allowed to sink to the bottom them jerked up. This might look like a crayfish snapping it's tail and streaking backward...the rattles might simulate the sound of the crayfish shell segments during this swimming maneuver.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.