Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-30-11, 07:29 AM   #1
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Headed to Briery Creek Lake agian

It's been yucky here until yesterday.. temps got up into the the 50*s yesterday & supposed to be warmer today!....can't stand it anymore headed to the lake this am w/ my fishin" buddy...will report back this PM...for those of you unfamiliar w/ this lake it's like 850 acres of Lake Fork in TX .. lots of standing timber... this lake has various strains of largemouth... 1 being the Florida strain... I'm ready...

Last edited by SaminVa; 01-30-11 at 07:48 AM.
SaminVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 10:29 AM   #2
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

I have never been there but I hear its not uncommon for that place to produce 10+ pounders. I also hear you have to be really carefull with all the stumps and standing timber just under the surface that will sink your boat. Good luck let me know how you do. I hope to make it there this year.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 01:20 PM   #3
syd

Look forward to hearing how you did. Never been to Briery but have been to Sandy Bottom which backs up to it. I have a friend who went down there a few years ago and stumbled into bass busting top water. He caught an 8lb and 6lb on one trip. Still his biggest bass ever. I have seen on the Briery website some 10-12 pounders posted. You are right about the trees though. Everyone i talk to that has been there says it is very dangerous. I guess it is a good thing you cannot have a motor bigger than 9.9 on it. I am going down in late Feb. or March. But i have been told to do one thing. Go in the middle of the week. On the weekends it is a zoo! Have also heard that the way to get the big ones is live bait. There is supposedly a bait shop right there. Minnows the big ones someone told me were $8.00 a dozen.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 05:32 PM   #4
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've been to Briery Creek quite a few times, You do have to be careful. The trees and stumps just underneath the the surface will hang your boat up in a heart beat, been there and done that, twice while trying to get back to the ramp because of lightening. It can be a nightmare but also rewarding.
Old 01-31-11, 05:41 PM   #5
3dkicker

Pics???? Results??? C'mon spill it!!!
Old 01-31-11, 09:45 PM   #6
SaminVa

we put in at the 2nd ramp an fished the deep water adjacent to the spawning flats slowly & thoroughly. The good news is all the ice is off the main lake with just a hint of ice in the back of some of the coves.... water temp. consistant 39* finding occasional 40-41* h2o. Beautiful day... saw some gull diving on gizzard shad... 6" shad rather lethargic... as was the bass bite...pulled out at 4:00 & put back in at the dam water temp. was the same 38-40.. no bites. Fished jigs, shakey heads, jerk baits, spinnerbaits, blade baits, jiggin spoons & rattle traps style baits. Sam
Old 01-31-11, 09:55 PM   #7
di$TOrTed
BassFishin.Com Member

I've always wanted to go there. Is it good for shore fishermen as well? Me and my fishing buddy have no boat.
di$TOrTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 07:13 AM   #8
SaminVa

There is an area at the 1st boat ramp that accomodates shore fisherman..even has a large covered dock that's handicapped acccesable.. many people dunk their baits there.
complete w/ handicapped porta potty. I guess you could shore fish from the 2nd ramp as well.... no covered dock.
Old 02-01-11, 11:45 AM   #9
jmartin

Sam what kinda boat you have Glass Or aluminum? I have always heard not to take a glass boat on it. So as bad as I want to I have refrained from dropping my Nitro on it.

Jerry
Old 02-01-11, 07:47 PM   #10
bcklash

Jerry, we've had our bass boat a 1994 Dyna Trak on Briery, but we worried more about the boat than fishing and it limited where you go. But I have seen nice Rangers out there before. A jon boat is the way to go. We don't have a jon boat anymore so we go to Sandy River more, about seven miles away. Good fishing too. Limited hp lake also.
Old 02-01-11, 08:52 PM   #11
SaminVa

I bought a used 17'8" Rhino all aluminum jet boat..w/out the jet. late last summer.. I put a Minn Kota 80# 24 volt on the rear.. has a 74# 24 volt on the front. All welded.

just ordered a H-bird 798 for it today.. can't wait to get it here to play!
Old 02-01-11, 09:06 PM   #12
bcklash

SaminVa, that's perfect for Briery Creek and Sandy River. Get that new H-bird on there you'll be rockin.
Old 02-01-11, 10:27 PM   #13
SaminVa

I'm sure there will be a big learning curve as I only have a Lowrance x45 now...LOL
I have a friend in Charlottesville who is very knowledgable about the 798s & is willing to help me..
Old 02-07-11, 05:52 PM   #14
3dkicker

Our club fished it last summer. No problems with glass boats except for the limitations on the big motors. Club fished it trolling motor only. No tournaments allowed on the lake either but club took pics and measured the fish. Paper tournament.

No crushed boats or impaled hulls but I think one member fell in when attempting to push away from a tree and the limb broke. He was ok but you still got to be careful.
Old 02-07-11, 05:54 PM   #15
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Its on my wishlist ....someday
Old 02-15-11, 07:05 AM   #16
SaminVa

They have cottages for rent about 1/8 mile from the lake,,, come on down!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.